Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro.

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:26 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro.

No Dash, it's the low oil content. Boat engines last longer with 18-20% oil where plane and car fuel don't have that much. Heli fuel is the closest plus you can find that up to 30% nitro.
The LHS's should be able ot get it now as Tower/Great Planes carries Aquacraft Grimracer O'Donnell fuel so they can get it there
Old 05-19-2011, 09:57 AM
DashRiprock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so order the Grimracer fuel from my LHS  by the gallon (if they will do that) so i dont have to order it from tower 4 gallons at a time. i will check into that. but do you think the airplane fuel i have will work on the SV nitro until i get some new fuel in? or would that be bad on a new engine?
I`m reading on the jug and it doesn't give a percentage of the oil content just that its 10% nitro and has "Castor/Synthetic model engine oil" and also warns me to not use after run oils because it contains a rust inhibitor and an anti-oxidant for resting engines.

on another note i reviewed my order and i think i ordered the wrong size prop for the boat i got the  AquaCraft GrimRacer L40x57 3-Bld Copper-Beryllium Prop and i think thats a larger prop than what was recommended on this thread.  Let that be a lesson to all, never order stuff late at night after you have worked a double shift and your way to tired.  ;-(
What prop gave you the best results ron?  i saw that you had mentioned earlier in the thread that you were going to try a bunch of different props and test them out.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Ron Olson

We being my son and I, tested a lot of props on the boat. The negine swung bigger ones that I thought that it would but after breaking a connecting rod I was worried that it could have been a result of trying to turn those over. The 40 x 57/3 should be fine but one thing that I did notice that the handing wasn't the same going big. The boat seemed to favor smaller props.
As far as the fuel goes, you're going to run it on the rich side for a while anyway so that really shouldn't do any damage. It will also give you a more forgiving needle.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:58 AM
mister twister

I have been running the GrimRacer 40x53 2 blade prop and 30% Grim Racer Fuel I get it in quarts from Tower Hobbies no boat support around me either.
I don't race or anything just run for fun. It has been working well for me.
I am installing a new flex shaft I got from OSE with the Kintec racing 3 piece coupler. The only problem is they sent me the one for the electric version just emailed them to see about getting it swapped out for the right one.
I am also going to install their adjustable trim tab brackets with the water intake in it. My plastic bracket is cracked for my cooling water inlet now I figured it would be a decent upgrade. Has anyone else used them?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:19 PM
sushi2me

1. You need two (2) open ended (or adjustable) wrenches - if you have the correct size open end wrenches, great, otherwise just use the two adjustable wrenches.

2. You adjust/tighten and HOLD the BIG lock bolt/nut that sits VERY HARD & TIGHT next to the flywheel - this is easier for the process if you hold this in a vertical position.

3. With the second/smaller wrench, turn the second smaller bolt/nut in a COUNTER-CLOCKWISE direction (pull backwards on the wrench TOWARDS you). When it/the smaller nut becomes loose enough to turn by hand, you should be able to remove the whole drive spring, shaft, prop, prop nut as one unit.

Now you can do whatever it is that you want: lube or replace the drive spring, etc.

Note: to just change props, you DON'T need to do this whole process - JUST SIMPLY REMOVE THE PROP NUT!

Hope this helps (and this applies for most boats of this type, both nitro AND brushless electric motors).
Old 05-24-2011, 10:23 PM
DashRiprock

the manufacturer recommends the Dura Trax LR3 T-max hot glow plug. my LHS does not have these in stock. will any hot plug work for this boat?
im reading a lot of confusing stuff about how the plug you should use depends on fuel you run, the climate in your area, and stuff like that. does it really matter that much? will any "hot" plug work for this boat or should i stick with the one recommended ?  
Old 05-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Ron Olson

Dash, Aquacraft is going to promote what they sell and at the time they didn't handle O'Donnell's which is going to be what will be recommended now. I ran McCoy MC-9's in mine. I do have a card of O'Donnell's but haven't tried them yet. Word is that they last longer and are better all-around than the MC-9's.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:55 PM
DashRiprock

well I finally got a break in the weather today and even tho it was windy as heck I got to run out most of a tank of gas thru my boat.
all in all it didnt run so great but on the good side it didnt die on me either. it was pretty hard to get started the first time but once i got it started
it ran didnt die on me at least.
I checked my Hi speed needle settings  before starting it it seemed to idle a bit hi to me. anyway i launched it and when i tried to slowly open the throttle a little it cavitated pretty bad. it actually went slower whenever i tried to give it more throttle. im not sure if the choppy water condition had anything to do with this or not. this was with the stock prop by the way.  the prop shaft is in the neutral position,should i angle the prop down so it will be a little deeper in the water or maybe adjust the trim tabs down a bit to stop this problem? whats the best way to fix this little problem?

and another thing, after i ran it and got it out of the water i noticed it had taken on some water, maybe 3 or 4 oz. even tho i was running it with the canopy on. i took the advice i read somewhere on this thread about slicing up a water noodle thingy and running down the right side of the inner hull for some extra flotation and also glued some to the inside of the hatch in case it falls off at least it will float.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Serpents Den

one of the things that does happen when running your boat...you will get water coming up along the flex shaft, through the stuffing tube too...you want to keep that flex shaft greased well...each person has their own choice when to regrease...Iprefer to regrease it every 6 or 7 runs, regardless which boat I'm running...ithelps keeping it nice and lubed up, prevents premature breaking, and slows the amount of watercomingup through the tube as well...another thing I like using in my boats, andthere are quite afew others here too, replacing the water plug that comes with the boat and installing an autobailer or two....another tool that helps keep the amount of waterdown inside your boat when running it...
you are correct,it is a good thing having foam/pool noodles glued to the inside of your hull and a pc. glued to the hatch as well, ithelps so you don't lose either if it overturns or takes on a ton of water...keeps them from sinking...
...rc boating is about tweaking the settings, trying to get the best out of your hull and motor...take your time...it'll take a few tankfuls before your hull starts to come alive...keep checking all your fuel and water lines...make sure all fasteners are tight and not working loose....it's all about havingFUN with it. I'm hoping that with my work hrs, besides flying one of my rc planes or heli's once in a while, that i'll see some decent weather on a day off where I can take out one of my boats for a few runs every now and then.....hmm..there's always that gas powered 'cat' that i want to work on too...never enough time in the day...
Old 05-26-2011, 08:23 PM
res3567

Yo Den....were have you been?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Serpents Den

not much bro, been working odd hours, and when not working, i've been upgrading/rebuilding my old mountain bikes, or out riding the trails since i've quit smoking, back in october... i haven't put any of my hulls in the water yet, just got my thunder cat hull back recently from the painter...havent gotten any pics of it yet, i should take a few this weekend and post em...Ineed to get my SV27 up and running asap...nice weather is finally here...only thing that really sux atm is finding another place close by to run my nitro's..

update: pics of mycat hull, put up in thread today for the TC31
Old 05-29-2011, 12:52 PM
DashRiprock

Hey guys, i`m having some problems with my boat and i thought maybe you could offer some help.

i tried to run my boat yesterday and earlier today. both times when i start it the boat wants to run way too fast.and wont die when i push the trigger on the remote forward. ive tried to slow down the idle with the throttle trim, and at first that seemed to work for like a min then it reved up fast again and a few sec later it died. i was afraid of damaging my motor with it running so fast and its not in the water or anything. the high speed needle is still set at the recommended starting setting 2.5 turns  counter clockwise from fully closed. ive barely ran 1 full tank thru it because i keep having problems with it dying in the middle of the pond. i am running the omega 10% fuel and i know its got a lower oil content also and with it revving up so high i dont want to damage anything.  is this a problem with the low speed needle setting? or should i richen the hi speed needle?
what do you guys think?
oh yeah i forgot to mention the original plastic prop has the tips chipped off. i think from the high rev, i know it has not hit any rocks or anything that may damage it. one has a pretty good chunk out of it. so i will replace the prop with the new metal prop ive got.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:52 AM
TCHedOff

Your engine is running lean. Its getting air in from somewhere; as you say it a new boat, it's probably something simple/obvious.... check/replace fuel lines; check your fuel tank for leaks; check/replace the o-ring for your carb.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:12 PM
DashRiprock

ive checked fuel lines and i dont see any problems. the tank isnt leaking. but i dont think i trust myself
to take the carb apart and check that myself. should i richen the HSN a bit more to see if that helps?
Old 06-05-2011, 01:27 PM
M3blueGsr

Does anyone know where to get a new starter shaft for the .18? I believe this is the part number: AQUG5721. I stripped mine and need a replacement.. Are there any other shafts that will fit this motor? Tower says the part is discontinued.. thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 08:31 PM
res3567

I feel ya....I have been busy too....but starting to get the itch again to run my SV in da water......
ORIGINAL: Serpents Den

not much bro, been working odd hours, and when not working, i've been upgrading/rebuilding my old mountain bikes, or out riding the trails since i've quit smoking, back in october... i haven't put any of my hulls in the water yet, just got my thunder cat hull back recently from the painter...havent gotten any pics of it yet, i should take a few this weekend and post em...Ineed to get my SV27 up and running asap...nice weather is finally here...only thing that really sux atm is finding another place close by to run my nitro's..

update: pics of mycat hull, put up in thread today for the TC31
Old 06-14-2011, 07:46 PM
DashRiprock

I am still having the same problem with my boat idling too high. ive richened the HSN another turn. (ive got it set at 3 to 3.5 turns out from fully closed) that seemed to help a bit. but  when it starts it will rev hi for a sec or 2 then dies. im starting to think maybe its the fuel im running? its Omega 10% airplane fuel. which works great in my air boat but may not be so great in this?  i was just trying to avoid buying more fuel for the  nitro V if i didnt have to.

today i got it started and got the idle down a bit lower and actually got it to run long enough to get it in the water.
I just wanted to let it run in the water a little holding it in shallow water because the way its been so unreliably since i got it i didnt want to swim after it. i dont wanna run it out of the water for very long at all since its water cooled im afraid ill damage it.

anyway it died as soon as i got it in the water twice. and also at some point ive broken the driveline on the boat.
ive read that this is a common problem with these boats. i had a grim racer L40 X 57 prop on it at the time. i know this prop is a bit larger than what most people are running. would that be the problem? should i try a smaller prop, or are these flex shafts just that weak? i really wanna see this boat fly across the water someday!!
  but at least i seem to have got the problems with my air boat worked out and it ran really good today. this one is just giving me a real hassle since i got it.
where am i going wrong guys?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:09 PM
toyotatruckin

Pm sent, I forgot to add my PH# its on my contacts page
http://www.aircapitolhobbies.com/Contact.html

main problem ive heard from customers on the SV27 shaft breaking is the stub being so long that it rides up into the stuffing tube, if its rubbing anywhere in that tube the heat will play killer on the shaft and cause it to either come un-soldered OR break close to the stub, if your having issues top side check the stuffing tube-motor-shaft alignment, also should be approx 3/16 gap between the drive dog and strut itself..
Res3567 has a good handle on running the SV (and has run both long and short versions of my shaft) maybe he will chime in and give you some advice
Old 06-17-2011, 09:37 PM
res3567

Run at least 30% or higher fuel (there is boat fuel out there....look around)......... your airboat has an airplane engine (I am assuming)....the SV 27 engine is morelike a car engine made for the water...........which requires a higher nitro content in the fuel....and take care of your fuel.....DONT.....leave it out in the sun to long with the cap of....and when storing it....if you can....indoors...ina dark closet.....get flexshafts from Toyotatruckin....the stock shafts break at the weld......MINE FROM YOTA....STILL GOING STRONG!!!!!!!! and run the40x52/3 Grimracer prop......this is what I am running in this short vid.....at the end...the boat got caught on lilipads.....

check it.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElWkcfl0Axg
Old 06-17-2011, 09:51 PM
DashRiprock

Ive got a quart of 30% boat fuel on order it should be here next week along with the drive shaft i ordered from toyotatruckin. still need to find some hand tools small enough to work on this boat tho. i dont have anything in my tool box to remove the motor with. there is still a piece of the drive shaft up in there. i also got a starter belt cuz ive read that pull start is another thing that tends to stip out on this boat. hopefully ill have it running in a week or so.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Ron Olson

Get yourself a set of small metric Allen wrenches plus 10 and 12mm open-end wrenches. A glow plug wrench (5/16" thin-wall socket will do) and something to remove the prop nut with.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:10 PM
res3567

I edited my post.....go back and take a look........
Old 06-17-2011, 10:20 PM
DashRiprock

ive got all that Ron but i need a small wrench to loosen the motor mount screws so i can get the motor out of there and get the broken end of drive line out.
the smallest wrench i have is an 8mm i think this is a 6 mm or maybe smaller. its kinda hard to get to especially on the exhaust pipe side. ive had the electronics box completely out of the boat but i still cant get it out of the collet. im going to check lowes or home depot tomorrow and see what i can find.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:27 PM
DashRiprock

yeah i know its not the optimum fuel for the SV but i thought i could get away with it. as usual i was wrong. so ive got some 30% nitro fuel on the way. i do store it inside in a shadowy dark corner out of the sunlight with the stopper in the bottle. i also ordered a GrimRacer 42x55 2 bladed prop i thought id try something smaller than the 40x57 3 blade prop i got a few weeks ago. i guess i will find out soon.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:21 AM
res3567

Let us know how it goes.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.