Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

New Boater with a couple questions

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

New Boater with a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 05:34 AM
hydromarine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Boater with a couple questions

Hello all, I'm new here and new to nitro boats. I purchased a 1/12 Mis Elam before I found this forum. Had I found this site before hand I think I would have bought the Miss Vegas since I've read numerous threads on how great it is. Since I already bought the Miss Elam and cannot return it since I already made a modification, and from what I could tell from the threads the Vegas is better because it comes out of the box with a .18 motor.

My question is if I upgrade to a bigger motor will the Elam perform as well as the vegas? What if any other mods can I do to the Elam that well maximize the performance? Like I stated earlier, I'm new to Nitro boats but not new to the rc world. I've had planes and nitro cars and trucks. I'm not afraid to take things apart and modify. Boating is a new hobby and I'd like to do some tweeking on this boat where tweeking is needed.

Ultimatlely, I'd like to upgrade the motor to at least a .18, but what fun is that? From what I hear it just drops in with no mods. I'd really like to push the limits on this boat and drop a .21 maybe the OS turbo. I read a thread where someone put a .21 on their miss bud. Was it completed successfully or did it open up a whole spectrum of problems (Hoping that person is reading this)? If it was successful, how much more speed did you get out of it? [img][/img]I'd really appreciate some advise maybe some pics.

As far as motors go, I've read alot of chatter about OS and aquacraft. I know aquacraft is made by OS but which do you guys recomend? One more last and final question. How do you guys transport your boats? Is there a tote bag or box especially made for transport of these things so the rudder doesnt get bent or do I have to get really creative here?

Thanks for your patience guys, I know this thread was long and boring. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:20 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Boater with a couple questions

WELL I'VE HEARD THAT THE HULLS HAVE SOME STRENGTH ISSUES , NOT SURE WHERE BUT THERE IS A GOOD THREAD ON THE PROBOAT MISS BUD AND THAT IS SAME BOAT AS THE ELAM, THE ENGINES ARE A BIT UNDER POWERED FOR A HYDROPLANE AS THEY NEED THE POWER TO GET UP ON PLANE. THAT BOAT IS A BIT SMALLER THAN THE VEGAS AND SHOULD RUN REAL GOOD WITH THE OS .18, MISS HYDRO HAS A LOT OF PRACTICAL KNOWLEDGE OF THOSE MODELS AS IN REPAIRING HULLS AND ENGINE SWAPS. BIGGEST THING IS HAVE FUN. GOOD LUCK AND ILL BE WAITING FOR FURTHER COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:26 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH YEA YOU CAN BUILD A STAND OUT OF PVC PIPE AND COVER WITH FOAM PIPE INSULATION OR YOU CAN GO ALL OUT AND MAKE A WOODEN ONE THAT GOES BETWEEN THE SPONSONS AND BACK PAST THE TRANSOM. REMEMBER PROP AND RUDDER CLARANCE.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:01 AM
hydromarine

Hey thanks for the info f16man, I've been reading some of miss hydro and lastresort4x4's posts. I'm getting alot of good info on here, this place kicks *****!!! Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:27 AM
Drmeff

Even with the .18 it wont be as fast at the vegas because of its weight and non-adjustable strut. I had a llumar (same as the elam) and I had a lot of fun with it! Read the proboat miss bud thread and take the advice of all the people that own these boats and you will have a blast!
Old 04-28-2007, 02:05 PM
JAY FORTAY

I have the llumar. I have had it a month and the engine that they put in it (dynamite .15s) has been nothing but trouble. I love it when it is running. I don't think that it is underpowered. I could definately be faster, but I have never had any trouble getting it on plane. It just need a solid forward toss to get it up. I have even idled it down several times just to see if it would plane off again. Usually not an issue.