Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

New Miss Vegas 2 thread,to make her better and faster.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

New Miss Vegas 2 thread,to make her better and faster.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 12:44 PM
misshydro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Miss Vegas 2 thread,to make her better and faster.

I did this because The vegas thread is to long and people somtime post questions and get skiped or get answered for 1-2 days plus way to many pages to read most of it is rehashing same issues over and over again. This is to much read for a girl like me who's want to find it fast plus this would help the newbes too.[8D]I'm going to start off with Russ quotes first.
Make it Fast! - 6/7/2006 4:03:12 AM

Russ Williamson

Status: offline After running gallons and gallons of 65% fuel in the Miss Vegas over the last year, like to share a few tips for starting, running and modifying that has increased the performance and user friendliness;

1. Turn Fin - get the Grim 15/18 Hydro Turn fin. Makes a huge difference. The turn fins will be available in about 10 - 14 days.
When manufacturing the turn fins, the leading edge is pre-sharpened. However, it is not feasible to also have the bottom sharpened during manufacturing. Good news, this is easy to do and makes a difference. Take a moto-tool and carefully grind the bottom of the turn fin (from the outside in) making a good sharp edge. Be sure not to change the shape of the cup when taking the flat edge off the bottom of the turn fin.
In the instructions for the turn fins (for our AquaCraft hydros plus the 1/12 LLmar and Elam) you will easily see how the turn fin mounts to the hull. We made so you can just remove your old turn fin, and bolt the new directly in the original mounting locations.

2. Additional sealer inside of hull; It is a good idea to take 30-minute epoxy and thin in down with alcohol and put an additional coat of epoxy between the back of engine to the front of fuel tank. It is best to remove the fuel tank and engine to do this. By making this mod, makes it easier to clean the inside of the hull.

3. Rudder; Even though the rudder has a decent leading edge shape, take and sharpen the leading edge of the rudder. Also, taper the bottom of the rudder to remove the flat area.
You can also take 400 grit sandpaper and smooth the surface. The bead blasting looks really good and this is mainly personal preference.

4. Strut; Leading edge of the rudder also has a good taper already made into it. However, it can be made sharper.

5. Bottom of hull; Get 600 grit wet-dry sandpaper and sand the clear coat off the bottom of the hull and the sponsons. No need to take it down to the fiberglass, just remove the clear coat.

6. Tuned Pipe; Remove the tuned pipe and cut off 1/4!QUOT!. This will relieve the tension that is on the exhaust mounting block in the hull.

7. Strut bracket; If your strut bracket is assembled with the head of the adjustment bolt facing the rudder, remove the brackets and install so the bolt is on the opposite side. Makes it easier to get the head of the bolt to make adjustments.

8. Engine; It can be made to create even more power by.......oh....I can't recommend that, it will void the warranty

9. Prop; Sure wish there was something easily available......maybe there will be sometime this year

10. Fuel; Burn 30% O'Donnell boat fuel, it does make a difference. The higher nitro that you can afford, the faster you will go.

11. Glow Plug; Red dot O'Donnell sport plug works great!

12. Tuning engine; Be sure to start off rich and start leaning it down a little at time. If using the correct fuel, the engine will !QUOT!sag!QUOT! when you hit a lean setting. When that happens, richen 1/16 to 1/8 turn. Remember, pending on the day, you will need to slightly adjust pending on the air temp, etc.

Hope this helps. I'm having a blast with the Miss Vegas. There will be many at the IMPBA Internats next week in Evansville, IN. We (Grimracer, Jerry Dunlap and myself) are hosting an AquaCraft Challenge IROC type of race were teams have been selected and they will run many rounds against each other, using a different Miss Vegas each round. Winners will be those who turn in the most laps after 4 rounds.
Then we are hosting a !QUOT!Champions!QUOT! Challenge. This will be 6 of the top US-1 National Champions going head to head with IROC Miss Vegas hydros. It will be a site to see. It will be a lot of work for us to keep them all going, but worth it!)
Thanks to the Evansville Club for allowing us to work in this event during the Nationals!

Have fun all~!

Russ Williamson
AquaCraft Product Manager
Old 05-20-2007, 01:24 PM
misshydro

Default RE: New Miss Vegas 2 thread,to make her better and fast.

Ok here we go!!! Inside first! (1).Epoxy motor mounts and tank area plus epoxy the wooden frame work that attached to the floor,it like to breake lose also put a coat on the inside back of stern.Sand them with 80-100 grit paper before epoxy.(2). fuel tank lid proublem,take the spring and retention it and put small wood block to add more tention on the spring. (3) use super vee 27 flywheel and proboat Miss Bud flex coupler for lighter weight and better motor revs. (4.)Check out motor alinement,make sure the cable slides in&out nicely into the flex coupler,I had to use small tins shims/washers on the backside screws to tilt motor forwards tords back of the boat. (5) use super vee 27 header cooling coil on the header.Plus you might want to get another water inlet to if you want to run two seprate water cooling line to motor and header or run them like the super vee. (7) I see some guys and me replacing stock tune pipe with 3.5 mac tune pipe.(8) replace exaust coupler too,the stock ones like to burn out quickly. (9)after 6 tanks runs remove the head shim=more comp =more hp=more rpm,Also you can get you motor cyclender portedout and rod knife cut and crank turbo cut and ballanced too for extra hp and rpms.you can finds guys who can do this work for 50-60 dollars for that work.But be warned this will void any warnties on your motor! i noties my vegas is a nitro hog too.i was told that the.18 will do that until 12-13 tank runs,thats when the motor is completly broken in. (10) replace water inlet lines with bigger ones=more water flow=cooler motor. (11) Might replace radio system,I'm seeing guys and me having troubles with boats not responding/runaways! (12) put foam on inside top part of the cowl. (13) blue print you boat bottom,sand your boat bottom with 180 grit paper to try to get low wavey spots out.If you start seeing yellow/gelcoat then use ICING polly puddy to coat it then reblock it out until waves are gone.Do the same with the sponson runners bottoms.But most guys are using 1/16 ply on the sponson runners to make a good flat and sharp surface.Make sure all running edges are sharp too. After that prime and paint it.After it painted use red scotch bright pad to ruff up bottom surface=brakes water tentions=faster speeds! (14) prop of choice are the Y535 and the X437/3,that seam to be the faster prop of choice,But each vegas runs different! (15)Sharpend rudder and turn fin=this will also help in speed too.(16) Dill out the water inlet in rudder with 1/8 drill bit,this will make more water flow! (17) Slot out rudder bracket,this will help you move your rudder over so it wont hit the props. (18) cut out all fake scoops out even the turbin out to help create more air flow,But if your running in none clam/wavey water conditions dont cut out the deck scoops it will let water in (19) motor up grades,Most guys are using the O.S.18 cvr-m for more hp and rpms! I will talk about .21 upgrades too.I already test fitted one already,need three things and it would be ready for.21.But for now I have the stock motor back in it! (20) use brass or alum tubes on exaust,water inlet and drain plug,this will help to make a tighter seal for water leaks at the back end of the stern threw the old holes.,cut them about 1/2 long and epoxy them in.(22) use water seal on the grove where the cowl sets on,this will keep most of the water out.(23) reroute water and fuel lines that may get burnd on header and tune pipe. (24) I forgot get Grims racing turn fin too!!! (25) some guys are running O.S#8 glow plug.If I'd missed anything please let me know.(26) You might have to cut and grind the front hull nose and put epoxy on the inside of the cowl nose to re enforce it. I had two vegas that did that to me.Buy doing this the cowl will fit nicely.Plus this will releave any stress on the cowl= no more cracking on it.Pics of this proublem and mod is on page 10.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:35 PM
misshydro

Default RE: New Miss Vegas 2 thread,to make her better and fast.

Heres pics of some upgrades.I know what the one pics isnt the vegas but you'll see 1/16 ply for sponson runners.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81976.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	687984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81839.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	687985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79520.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	687986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38653.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	687987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17136.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	687988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59685.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	687989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54039.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	687990  
Old 05-20-2007, 03:25 PM
nitro Ahmed

Default RE: New Miss Vegas 2 thread,to make her better and faster.

cool pics, tips and mods misshydro,especialy love what you have done with wing, i myself am a newbe to boats, but always like to go faster and faster, i own a miss vegas and have recently had trouble with the engine because of the salt water that soaked the pull starter from the inside causing all types of dirt and rust to build up and was impossible to reach(i always do major cleanig afterwards running in salt water like 1. rinsing the whole boat with fresh water 2.flush the cooling system including rudder with fresh water 3. use wd40 inside engine and carb as after run oil and give it a few pulls) and eventualy ended up in the sleeve messing it up along with piston, couldnt find a replacement sleeve,[:@] they were all either smaller or bigger than the stock 18's which made me decide to get a new better engine(no more pull start for me) although i could have had the sleeve which was bigger cut out to fit into the block but the piston size was smaller than the stock.[:'(]
then i wondered what engine should i get? will it be the os 18CVR-M or will it be a 21? almost everyone i know said that i should go for the 18, but i did otherwise. a 21 it is, so i got me an O.S. .21 VZ-M Marine which for some reason i fell in love with at first sight. so far there are seven mods and changes that i have done to the boat:
1_ grim racer blue finish turn fin (which gave me all the difference in turns).
2_ bigger fuel tank
3_ took off the stock wooden engine mounts and placed them a bit further from each other for the 21 engine to sit on.
4_ the engine sits a bit higher(coz the coupler touched the bottom of the hull).
5_ tapped the stock shaft nut for the 21 shaft to fit in.
6_ nova rossi tuned exsaust header ( to go with the new 21 engine).
7_ new exsaust coupler
._ the fake scoops and turbine will be cut off.

still more parts and mods are on the way such as: 1_ x435/3 prop(fully sharpened and balanced)
2_ custom vegas drive shaft
3_ mac 3.5 tuned pipe
4_ shrpend rudder and turn fin
5_ sponson jobs (have to decide which)

by tomorrow i hope that i have the boat all done and ready to run, then will i be able to know if there are any further mods to do because of the new bigger engine, will be posting you with updates and will be posting pics hopefuly very soon.

thanks again misshydro for taking the inetiative of starting the thread.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:56 PM
misshydro

I'm running stock wooden motor mounts,If it's not broken why fix it!!LOL!! Here's pics I'd put two notches on both motor mounts on the inside to clear bolts on the block!there's a chance I might get a.28=more hp and rpms!! I like the SG crank,I'd cut off the none threaded part off= my motor can go back about 1/2 to mid ship=more weight of the nose plus can fit a bigger tank=the boat should still get up on plane with alittle extra weight from bigger motor.[8D] Oh you may have to make a custom header to fit your vegas if you have front end exaust system?

Name:	Ec89396.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	688148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99844.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	688149  
Old 05-20-2007, 06:28 PM
toyotatruckin

Here is what is being replaced or modified on mine! Second gen vegas...Full mod first was the stripping of all stock parts but engine mount and pipe mount...New glass added in all the weak spots new stuffing tube set-up is in the works right now....Might drop some mod pictures but im kinda leaving the build thread where it is...Oh no glass added in the picture shown..

Name:	Ec89194.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	688200  
Old 05-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Asahi

Anybody try to make the DIY aspirin bottle silencer for the stock engine/pipe? Any pics/plans? Are there other alternatives for a silencer on the OS .18? If I jump up to a .21 later, I can get a silencer form Cooper but for now I'd like to quiet down the .18 if I can.

Thanks for any input.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:00 PM
misshydro

Theres a websight a company who make quite tune pipes for .18s and .21s.I nevered heard of anyone who'd used a DIY Aspirin bottle for silencer before?[&:]That's new to me!![X(]
Old 05-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Asahi

ORIGINAL: misshydro

Theres a websight a company who make quite tune pipes for .18s and .21s.I nevered heard of anyone who'd used a DIY Aspirin bottle for silencer before?[&:]That's new to me!![X(]
Thanks for the input,

A guy (Jerry Dunlap, MV designer?) here actually mentioned that he made one in the SuperVee 27 thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_56...mpage_9/tm.htm

I was wondering if something similar could be made for the MV?
Old 05-20-2007, 07:41 PM
misshydro

Anything is possible!!! if you put you mind to it!! I would like to see this aspirin bottle silencer!
Old 05-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Asahi

For those who are swapping out the stock pipe with a Macs 3.5, what header/coupler are you using? I don't see one for the .18 on Tower Hobbies. What other parts will I need to use the Macs 3.5 with the stock O.S. .18? Is it just a simple swapout or are any hull mods required?

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:00 PM
misshydro

just a simple swap out!! I'd use a .21 or 28 header coupler and sliped it over the stock vegas one=thicker coupler= hearder to burn threw. Then you can slip the exaust tube over the tail of the3.5 tune pipe.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Asahi

Hmmm, so the outer diameter of the Macs 3.5 is 5/8". So a 5/8" Macs coupler will fit over the stock MV coupler? Here's a link to one I'm thinking about:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXZ669&P=K
Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 PM
misshydro

yes it should.Here's pics of my coupler.

Name:	Mk26065.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	688344  
Old 05-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Asahi

ORIGINAL: misshydro

yes it should.Here's pics of my coupler.
Brilliant!!

Did the Macs pipe quiet things down some? How's the performance gain from just your pipe change (not including your other mods)?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:24 PM
toyotatruckin

The glass lay-up of a vegas hull wasnt ment to hold up to the stress of a .21 and there will be flexing issues that will eventually break the hull between the front sponsons top side
Old 05-20-2007, 10:42 PM
toyotatruckin

Second gen. Stuffing tube and bearing modification pictures.......No teflon liner, No stock brearing, easy to replace with out having to re-glass a new tube, easier to bend tube to adjust strut, less weight, less drag,less chance of liner problems, all around a better wheel, so to speak.... By the way before it gets said Ill say it....Its in mock-up nothing adjusted......And I lost some build pics someplace, UH well you can figure it out from here..Or ask forgot, I used glass matt for the stuffing box and to reenforce the motor mounts used glas cloth and added an extra layer to the middle and rear sections of the hull floor resined the rest of the floor with a thin layer AFTER sanding out the rough spots just for easy clean-up

Name:	Yw66577.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	688497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34143.jpg
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	688498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63629.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	688499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf93891.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	688500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ht97538.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	688501  
Old 05-20-2007, 11:03 PM
misshydro

Nice job toyota!!!I like the tube liner job!! Now thats getting me thinking on mine?! Hay Did I see a cockroch Or bug in those pics?![&:] If I do run a .21 it will be a S*** and gigles boat/fun toy! Most likely run a realy hot.18. I'm still thinking!![&:]
Old 05-20-2007, 11:32 PM
toyotatruckin

yeah damn bugs!! I had my gradge door open and they flocked to my shop light. Its great not having to work on things on the kitchen table anymore!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 11:42 PM
misshydro

Whats the holes in the tube for?Is that for oil/lub on the prop side? The smaller tube,thats fit inside the older/bigger tube you use two pices of.One in the hull and the other at the strut?So did you put some kind of sealer so water wont get in the hull tube?Or is it fee floating/moveing tube that you'd instaled in?[&:]
Old 05-21-2007, 12:02 AM
toyotatruckin

I glassed in the piece of larger tube(stuffing box) in the hull its about 3" long or so , The holes are for holding lube and the piece of larger tube over smaller tube at the strut end is soldered on....And the actual stuffing tube just slips into the Stuffing box, its a tight fit and wont go anyplace or leak.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:27 AM
misshydro

I'm going out in a alittle bit to run my vegas jet/rocket hydro at the pond today!! Very ichty to run her.I'm going to try a different prop since I got it.It's the 440/3 I'd trimed it down about 1/16 smaller and very close to ballance and very highly polished too! I'll see what it will do?Just in case I'll bring my other props to. I have to buy the Y535 and X437/3 and realy see what she'll do.[8D] But I will proubly follow your idea on the flex drive shaft,I like it! It bend nice with out flexing/putting any strain on the hull.[8D]
Old 05-21-2007, 03:03 PM
misshydro

Well the 440/3 is alittle to much prop for the.18 plus it caused me to blow a glow plug too>It started out alittle slugish by realy started to realy go.Brought her back in the lean out the motor some more and she wouldnt stay running after I removed the glow ingnighter.I shouldve brought out my other boat!! 8 mile wasted trip!![:@]
Old 05-21-2007, 03:26 PM
gooycheese

Asahi,
No the macs pipe wont quiet things down.

misshydro,
Maybe you should bring stuff with you when you goto the pond to run, tools/props/supplies saves those wasted trips.

Paul
Old 05-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Believe It
Banned

doesnt look like ya have much gap between the strut and drivedog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.