Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

RC Electric Retreval Boat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

RC Electric Retreval Boat

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:27 AM
rageman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Electric Retreval Boat

What is the cheapest electric boat that would work as a retreval boat for Rc Nitro boat recovery (for a 31" Thundercat in particular? I imagine hooking it up to a custom made PVC frame work with flotation to capture the Nitro boat and drag or push it back to shore.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:33 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: RC Electric Retreval Boat

rageman,
Almost anything can be -made- to work. That "almost" is a very big category, sort of! Just depends on how much 'work/effort/money' you wanna put into it. If a 'rescue' boat is really needed you might think about just building one to suit. Building one to "suit" means that it will be sort of 'specialized', probably not suitable for all boats, maybe. Nothing wrong with that unless you're thinking of going into the 'salvage' business I guess.
- 'Doc
Old 05-29-2007, 11:41 AM
fun4ej
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with LtDoc, Whatever works for the individual. I have a Villain IV that I turned into my rescue boat for my thundercat and every other boat at my pond. The PVC cost maybe $9 and the pool noodle was maybe $4.

here's the video:
[link=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=626376887863461097&hl=en]rescue boat video[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33898.jpg
Views:	2731
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	693617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19693.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	693618  
Old 05-29-2007, 06:04 PM
rageman

What did the Villian IV cost? I am starting from scratch>

ORIGINAL: fun4ej

I agree with LtDoc, Whatever works for the individual. I have a Villain IV that I turned into my rescue boat for my thundercat and every other boat at my pond. The PVC cost maybe $9 and the pool noodle was maybe $4.

here's the video:
[link=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=626376887863461097&hl=en]rescue boat video[/link]
Old 05-29-2007, 06:16 PM
fun4ej
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got it used for $150....but like I said, I had the boat and didn't buy it just for rescue purposes.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:35 AM
rageman

I understand.

Any suggestions on good place to look for / request a used RC electric boat?

ORIGINAL: fun4ej

I got it used for $150....but like I said, I had the boat and didn't buy it just for rescue purposes.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:13 AM
SV27dayton

One thing to consider is that vector steering is good for recovey boat (where there is a u-joint in the drive shaft so you can dirct the prop-wash). We generally try to stay away from this for speed and reliability purposes (speaking for FE) but you can't beat it for low speed manuverability. Also reverse is really nice on a recover unit. I don't know how these effect price but they are +'s if you are thinking about it. I'm thinking of getting something slow that my kids can play with to learn the ropes that I can outfit with an "apparatus" when im upside-down. Thinking ebay or radio shack.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: rageman

I understand.

Any suggestions on good place to look for / request a used RC electric boat?
I made mine out of a reef racer that I got off the "scratch and dent" section at Tower. I think I paid around $35 for it. The minuses are...no reverse, and no steerable outdrive. They have been out of the rudders for ever, but I planned on sandwiching a rudder between a couple pieces of thin ply to make the rudder larger to get better steering.

Sean
Old 05-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Asahi

I just picked up a nice used Traxxis Nitro Vee for $80 shipped and am going to rig it up as a retrieval boat. Another boat that you could probably find used for cheap is the ShockWave 26. Heck, new it's only $140 (maybe less). I know it's a ProBoat which seems to get a bad rep here but for a retrieval boat it sounds perfect with the steerable drive system, electric power and reverse. Plus it's big enough to rig up a nice sized swim noodle fork on the front of it. If I find a clean used one, I may pick it up. Dang, my boat collection is growing already and I haven't even been doing this a month. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 05-30-2007, 09:48 PM
rageman

A used Shochwave 26 sounds like a winner for a recovery boat with it's steerable drive and reverse

ORIGINAL: Asahi

I just picked up a nice used Traxxis Nitro Vee for $80 shipped and am going to rig it up as a retrieval boat. Another boat that you could probably find used for cheap is the ShockWave 26. Heck, new it's only $140 (maybe less). I know it's a ProBoat which seems to get a bad rep here but for a retrieval boat it sounds perfect with the steerable drive system, electric power and reverse. Plus it's big enough to rig up a nice sized swim noodle fork on the front of it. If I find a clean used one, I may pick it up. Dang, my boat collection is growing already and I haven't even been doing this a month. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]