Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Chanute KS race 25 and 26 August

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Chanute KS race 25 and 26 August

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Sean Bowf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chanute KS race 25 and 26 August

I know the weather man is not always (ever?) right...but right now, the forecast is for wind in the teens on Friday (test and tune day) and around 6 or 7 MPH during Saturday and Sunday. If that forecast holds out...it should be a good weekend to deliver a good ole TX style butt whoopin....

Might just wind up being that the person with the best ability to tune without running...will start out strong on Saturday...and be the person to catch. Norm, you know anyone that got a good tune, then left their boat alone??

Sean
Old 08-23-2007, 06:23 AM
RcBoatman59

Left thier boats alone after consistent 39 to 40 M.P.H. runs ???
Whoever could that be ?

As far as rough water goes, Im from Oklahoma, we dont have calm water...
Thats because were stuck between Texas and Kansas and for some reason theres always a strong wind coming from both directions

and it aint got nuthin to do with suction !
Old 08-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Kelly Miller

My arrival at the race at this point has been delayed. Business calls have to deliver a new 272 Cobalt Friday evening. Still be at the lake running a boat just the wrong one. Pending disaster I will see you Saturday AM. My tune will have to do.

Remember that was not Thunder and Rain......I just passed you and that is my roostertail.

Kelly

.21 seaducer
.46 mono
Mod RTR
.67 rigger

Chase will be racing the stock RTR
Old 08-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Sean Bowf

Well...other than charging batteries, I think I am ready. I have my rocket fuel mixed, my high HP fuel line installed, my prop harmonizer tuned, and a new table for our boats...

See you all on Saturday. I will be the yellow boat out in front...

Norm, you better warn Blue...Ashley says she is taking home first place in stock RTR... Sounds like Blue should just leave her bouy crusher home .

Sean
Old 08-23-2007, 09:51 PM
007clint

Well, it looks like it is going to be a late night. I am still working on my 60 Hydro Roadrunner. My Mod RTR is (of course) out in the garage dreaming of Grudge Trophies!
Old 08-24-2007, 07:37 AM
RcBoatman59

Ok, time to get one last post in before time to go...
Blue says to "

[size=][/size1]BRING IT !!!
Old 08-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Kelly Miller

Great racing weekend.....great to see you all again. All of the Mod guys are VERY Fast.....Mine was Mach 2...........right into the bank....... destroyed at the start of the second heat. All of the others guys were running very well. Sean, Clint, Norm, Kip and J.R. were all running consistent and very fast....Mach 3, really making me reconsider the 2 blade propeller. There is a NEW Grudge Trophy winner......I will let Sean share that info... It was great to see him win. Sean and Norm got some GREAT Photos that I am sure they will be posting soon.

Kelly Miller

Sam Miller Racing
Old 08-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Sean Bowf

It will take me a bit (tomorrow?) before I can get the RTR videos out...but here is a couple pics off my camera.

The first one is Kelly's boat (if you still want to call it that). I am VERY focussed when I race, and did not even see it run up onto the shore. I take it that it must have hit a rock or something, because it was split wide open.

As to the RTR mod grudge Trophy. As a background, I can't really remember who started the idea...but the idea came up that we should get a traveling "grudge trophy" that is passed from winner to winner whenever over half of us are at a RC boat event (race, fun run, grudge match, etc). Clint ponied up for the original trophy, then the idea came out that whomever wins it, needs to add something to it, then bring it to the next race. We had talked about what it takes to be considered a "grudge racer", but I won't get into that here. Anyhow, I won it the first two times out...and I put the base on it with small brass plaquered everyone can put their name on as they win it. This weekend, Kip Woods won 1st place at the race, and accepted the "terms" of being a grudge racer. That being said, I presented the trophy to him, and he is now the grudge trophy holder (second pic below). Very glad to see someone else get it...even if he does race a proboat...

He runs a formula proboat with a CVRM in it (pretty sure that is his setup). I think he finished all five heats this weekend.

Sean

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49819.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	750485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67384.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	750486  
Old 08-26-2007, 09:57 PM
toyotatruckin

gotta point this out again.....Proboat not a vegas won that trophy.....goes to show that its not just being the fastest boat on the water that wins a race...
Old 08-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Sean Bowf

Here is a pic of him with his boat...for anyone that is curious.

He had the only proboat there, out of 6 boats that entered Mod RTR...so he beat 5 Vegas boats (if you include Kelly, who was unable to finish the race).

Sean

Name:	Sq45608.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	750536  
Old 08-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Harald1966

Nice pictures!
Did someone from Oklahoma Model Boat Association (my new club) win any classes?
I hope there will be more pics and videos from the race soon?

The Viking
Old 08-27-2007, 05:51 AM
Sean Bowf

Hey Harald, nice to see you on the boards.

Norm won 2nd (I think) in 40-mono. His Daughter Christina (Blue) won 2nd in stock RTR, his son won 2nd in Juniors, and Tom won a bunch of stuff (don't recall all the classes, sorry).

I think all the video we have is of RTR, but I will try to get it posted tonight. Norm had a good picture of a well lined up start on his camera, we will have to see if he posts some pics here.

Sean
Old 08-27-2007, 06:33 AM
Kelly Miller

It was really great to see Kip Woods win the Grudge trophy. He has stuck by his Pro Boat and has it running very well. The Mod RTR class has turned into a VERY competative class.

I have some great idea for my next Mod boat. I stripped all of the parts out of the white boat and gave it to some kid's in the stands...not a lot left.

Kelly
Old 08-27-2007, 06:36 AM
Kelly Miller

Oh yea.....Kip I am aiming to get that grudge trophy.

kelly
Old 08-27-2007, 08:29 AM
gooycheese

Would anyone have results from the other classes, I would really like to know how Clint's Roadrunner ran (E-Hydro Class)?

Thanks ,

Paul
Old 08-27-2007, 12:28 PM
007clint

My 60 Hydro blew it's engine - I haven't taken it apart but it feels like a rod.

I was having trouble with it dieing when one of the 2 tanks was empty and I also clogged the water intake and didn't notice I had no cooling (it was cool by the time the pickup boat brought it in). I am not used to watching for the stream of water up from the head.

I am sure I will have to scrounge up some 67 Picco parts - any ideas?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:29 PM
gooycheese

Geeez that is rather sucky, sorry to hear the bad news. Hopefully things will work out so it gets a little more run time this year

Paul
Old 08-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Sean Bowf

Clint had an engine failure. Without tearing it down, he thinks he lost the rod. It was running pretty rich, and when he tried to lean it down in the pit, it quit. EDIT: I did not see that this was already answered...

They lumped the 67 riggers in with Cats...and ran them all together. Kelly was doing pretty good, until his rigger took a wierd turn coming out of the second turn, and smacked the cat next to him. I wish I had that one on video, but I am sure Kelly is glad I don't... It was a pretty spectacular crash...with Kelly's rigger doing about 3 spins in the air before hitting the water again. All in all, I think Kelly came out of the race the worst of all of us...with a damaged rigger and a totalled Mod RTR.

Time to go start capturing some video...

Sean
Old 08-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Sean Bowf

OK, here is the video of the stock RTR. There were 3 entrants. If you watch the boats closely, you can see their driving evolve, even just during the different heats of this one race. They are getting more and more competitive.

1st place was Ashley (my daughter)
2nd place was Christina (Norm's daughter)
3rd place was Chase Pickell driving Sam Miller's (Kelly's son) boat

Note in the first heat, that Chase is pulling the other 2 boats pretty hard (made up a half lap). Ashley (Miss Sunflower) was running 33.3 MPH on the GPS during the test and tune on Friday...so I think Kelly's boat is probably doing 35sh+ as a stock Miss Vegas. Later he figured out Chase blew a header gasket...this is what was causing him so many problems later.

[link=http://media.putfile.com/Chanute-KS-stock-RTR-RC-boat-race]Video link here.[/link]

Still working on getting the Mod RTR video complete and up.

I have no video of anything other than the RTRs. I will make an attempt to get some next race, but for half of the heats, I am either getting ready, racing, pitting, or refereeing.

Sean
Old 08-27-2007, 10:54 PM
DuckOfDeath
My Feedback: (1)

Nice video.

My friend and I came dowm from the Kansas City area, and watched, in awe and amazement, as the racing began. It was fantastic, and we really enjoyed ourselves, although we are both electric kinda guys. Anyways, here are a few pics of what we saw. I have about 130 pics, which I will put on a cd and send to Allan.

Thanks for a great day, and we'll keep an eye out for anything that you do that we might be able to attend. I was amazed at the friendliness, and everyone was willing to share info. I was especially impressed with the willingness of other drivers to share not only knowledge, but also parts and hardware with the very person they might be racing against in the next heat!

Doug

Name:	Cz80000.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	751468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61504.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	751469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71493.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	751470   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54477.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	751471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg54048.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	751472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mc49899.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	751473  
Old 08-27-2007, 11:42 PM
RcBoatman59

I will post pics tomorrow
Great racing !!!
We had some of the best races I have ever seen this weekend.
The stock RTR class had some really great heats, the girls are really becoming good drivers so watch out guys !
And congrats to Seans younger daughter Samantha for winning her 1st trophy, she was all smiles when she had to go in the water !

Kip, you have my trophy... when are you gonna be ready to come down here and defend it ???
( I cant believe a Proboat won ! )
Maybe we need to slow our boats down about 10 MPH or so !

Old 08-28-2007, 12:56 AM
Harald1966

Nice video and pics!
I really miss racing when I see this

More, more...
Old 08-28-2007, 06:41 AM
Sean Bowf

Here is the Mod RTR video. There was a real good line up for the start of heat 3. As you can see, it almost gets to the point of being a race for survival. Lots of upside down boats, etc.

There was six entrants in this class. I think there were only 2 other classes that were this size (20 tunnel, and gas cat). So mod RTR still remained one of the larger classes.

The finish was:
1st - Kip Woods
2nd - Sean (Me)
3rd - JR Smith (his first win)

On the beginning of the 2nd heat, you can see a boat run off coming out of turn 2. I think that is when Kelly lost his boat.

[link=http://media.putfile.com/Chanute-KS-Mod-RTR-RC-boat-race]Click here for video.[/link]

Sean
Old 08-28-2007, 05:57 PM
ROOSTERLEW

Thanks guys for putting on A great Show.
Special thanks to Sean and ..ummm..I think his name was Norvis? Any ways he and Sean gave us some great Info.

I am a Plane guy and past Car Racer, but my wife and son really want some boats. So we drove up from Coffeyville to watch.

Well I think I am hooked harder than the kid now, hah, Looking for engines, plans and such to start building some boats!

Again, excellent show!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Kelly Miller

Norvin...he ran a Gas Cat....Glad to hear we have you hooked. just wait until you get in a race...adrenaline jolt like you cannot believe. Sean is a great guy and will certainly give you some good straight advice as will Norvin. we run in Wichita at the sedgwick county park behind the zoo every weekend on Sunday at 2:00. the club has a pick-up boat on location. weather you have a interest in racing or just running I welcome you to come by.

Kelly Miller

Sam Miller Racing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.