Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Modified the aquajet, already !lol

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Modified the aquajet, already !lol

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:46 PM
youdirtyfox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified the aquajet, already !lol

Hi Folks,
Havent had this boat long and I've already : sprayed the interior with Nitro blocker, fully ball jointed all linkages, fitted a SS-8 tank with remote filler (to be installed onto body somehwhere ) turned the head 90 degress and have a carbon prop and tuned pipe kit coming form offshoreelectrics (till I can make my own pipe

Still to come though : I fancy making a new hatch for it , giving it a fancy paintjob and then intalling a .18CV-RMX for some BIG power
Great boats and great fun..Happy days. and again great site, great people and info on here, glad I found it!

So, what have you done to yours? really intersted to see paintjobs etc

Cheers
Sam.

P.s. So want my new prop to arrive so I can go give 'er a blast
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33927.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	745740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21040.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	745741  
Old 08-20-2007, 09:28 PM
wave waker

Default RE: Modified the aquajet, already !lol

what's that plastic wrap for?

keep us updated how's this boat runs...
Old 08-21-2007, 12:37 PM
youdirtyfox

plastic wrap is just there till I can get some decent rubber bags or even make a small box (maybe out of an old chinese take away carton ) to waterproof the radio gear

new prop turned up this morning, woot woot, so shall make a small video on the next outing, if it ever stop's raining!
(damn UK unprediactable wheather)

manifold + pipe from offshoreelectrics was in the post bag today, but I'll wait till I have the tuned pipe for a Vegas
from towerhobbies to install that little lot
Old 08-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Chapman81

Hi there,

I like what you've done with the ball joint linkages, especially for the rudder. What bits do you need to do this mod? I already have the tuned pipe and carbon prop from offshore electrics. Made some difference. I didn't bother going for the 18size engine as I felt the hull was at it's limits already. Will get some pics on here shorty.

Cheers,

Stewart
Old 08-30-2007, 05:13 PM
youdirtyfox

Hi Stewart, thanks!

I bought some no slop ball joints (brass ball's with a thread and nut) and the connectors(red plastic bits) and then got some m2 brass threaded rod
from my local model shop and then cut it to length and fitted it all together. Used to have this set-up on my cars, so the boat got the same treatment
had to open up the servo horns a little (easy enough with a small screwdriver) and the linkage in the carb needing doing too!

There is/was a guy running an .18 in his aqua jet, dont know if he his still around on here though. Some of his post's are definately worth a read

Currently working on a better sealling hatch, using split in half silicone vacuum hose from my car and a waterproof radio box as I like to run
it quite rough oceans [8D] still a way to go though on teh radio box, but will report back with pictures as it get's constructed.

Have fun in the drink mate
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57257.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	753318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61195.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	753319  
Old 08-31-2007, 06:48 AM
Chapman81

Hi Mate,

Cheers for the info. I will head to the local model shop this week some time to get some ball joints etc. I am not too bothered about the throttle linkage as it doesn't get the same amount of abuse as the rudder. I find that the grub screw on the original setup just turns and doesn't really clamp the rudder control rod at all. Will get pics up on here tonight or tomorrow. I only use my boat in the local lake which is pretty small. I have put the receiver and battery pack in rubber balloons which seems to work fine.

Good luck with the radio box.

SC
Old 08-31-2007, 02:19 PM
youdirtyfox

Yeah I found excatly the same thing too with those grub screws!

Cheers
Sam.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:53 AM
J T

Hi guys, I've just put a sulivan tank in my aquajet & modified the hatch to fit the tuned pipe (will post some pictures soon). I filled the old exhaust hole with epoxy and drilled a new water intake hole higher up on the transom and filled the old hole with exopy. I also epoxy'd neodimium magnets to the hatch and the insides (about 7 on the top of the hatch and 7 inside and stopped using the neopprene and i found this helped stop water skirting up into the hatch. I used loads of pipe insulators inside around the sides to help it float incase it flips and fills as I it nearly sank once and that was before i modified the hatch cutting a hole in it to fit the tuned pipe. I also bag/balloon the receiver, batteries, failsafe & switch and waterproofed my servos and put a half-cut balloon over the bottoms . If it ever flips now & gets water inside it's normally fine. But just incase I'll take it all apart & dry it out. I use the Carbon fibre 40mm prop from offshore. I've just got the standard decals at the moment. I did want to do a custom paint job on it, but saved the money and spent elsewhere (managed to find a cheap second hand Miss Ellam which i am working on at the mo.

I like your work you've done on yours - the old exhaust is a pain, mine leaked and i threaded the centre pin & bent it by over tightening which is why i got a tuned pipe instead. I wish i had sprayed that nitro resistant stuff on my hull but with the new tank i shouldn't have any spills & i've literally just epoxied the tank in the hull today.

Cheers
James
Old 09-01-2007, 11:38 AM
youdirtyfox

Hi James, sounds like you have been busy on that boat, just like me really. Time to get her in the water and have some fun
so im off down the beach tommorrow

Yeh pictures of your boat and tuned pipe install would be cool, those magnets sounds interesting, where did you get them from?

I've just bought another prop to try out from here :http://prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/octurapropellers.htm
Thought the price was pretty good as they will balance and sharpen for an extra fiver

Will let you know how it goes with a X437/3 on it [8D]

Cheers
Sam.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:29 PM
J T

Hi Sam, the magnets i got off ebay there are loads on there. I've run my boat in the sea once, i had to take everything apart and wash with fresh water and plenty of wd40 /afterrun oil. I'm keen to try props other than the CF one. I didn't realise prestwich's sold sharperned ones so I might get some as offshore were always sold out of the ones i wanted to try. Where did you get the ball joints from? i was looking for some but wasn't sure of which were the correct size to get.

Good luck and watch out for those seagulls![sm=72_72.gif]
Old 09-01-2007, 03:21 PM
youdirtyfox

LOL, its more like , watch those Dogs that think my boat is a stick! when it comes to shore. I swear one's going to try
and take a bite out my boat one of these days lol

Got the ball joints of ebay also :Item number: 200126578477, you may have to search for that under 'items that have finished' though and I got some m2 threaded brass rod from my local hobbie shop.

Cheers, have found the magnets on ebay they look ideal, may have to have a punt

Cheers
Sam.