Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Angle of the dangle ~ Blank Hull.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Angle of the dangle ~ Blank Hull.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:35 AM
youdirtyfox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Angle of the dangle ~ Blank Hull.

Hi Guys and Gals, well it looks like im after a little project for the winter!
Have seen some pretty cool looking fibreglass mono hull's in my local modelshop, pretty sure they are 1/8th scale
and thought I would save the OS .18 (or something bigger!) for this and not the AJ.
However they are completely blank and undrilled for a prop shaft etc, so the question being where does one start ?
and what type of transmissions should I be looking at ?flexi drive/tiger drive-what are these? I did do a search, but seeing as I dont really know what
Im searching for .. lol

Thanks in advance

Sam.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Dan S

Default RE: Angle of the dangle ~ Blank Hull.

One thing for sure, if you are looking at a 1/8 scale forget about the OS 18, you need to be looking at a 1.01 or a 26cc gas engine.

Dan
Old 09-17-2007, 01:38 PM
youdirtyfox

Whoops! (good start) sorry meant 1/10th.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:36 PM
gooycheese

Ok if you are going to build a boat like a Vegas which I think is 1/12 scale not sure an .18 will work but if you notice there are alot of people trying to get more power. If this is a scale boat which is 1/8 then most 1/8 scales run with a .67 size engine. Ok first off a tiger drive is a method of starting the boat, it isn't a drive line. An .18 engine will use a .150 flex cable and will use a .187 stuffing tube with a nylon sleeve. Now how or where this stuff is suppose to exit the hull and mount I am not sure. I would however get a .150 cable with a .187 prop shaft, there is a larger selection of props available in the .187 size. When you have your hull and are ready to start mounting stuff in the hull you will probably try and find the center of gravity or CG. I myself have never worked on a "Sport 20" boat and thats what it sounds like you want to build. There are alot of people on this forum that have built alot of boats of this type and would be alot more helpful than myself, sorry.

Paul
Old 09-17-2007, 04:50 PM
youdirtyfox

Cool nice one ta. Ah CoG ! really should of thought of that myself (doh), pretty much like a car then? keep the CoG as low as possible for better handling.

I would really like to build a really great boat for waves/beach (because I live right near to one) and be very aesthectically pleasing on the eye too!
oh yes and be reasonably rapid to boot[8D] Think i would prefer a pre-fabricated fibre hull than to building a wooden kit.
Soory just thinking out loud here guys, hope you dont mind? Sport 20 sounds real interesting , will have a research on them

Man needs a project during the winter, otherwise I'll be cooped up with her indoors all the time [X(] lol.

Got a budget of about $800 to play with, so if anyone want's to chuck some suggestion in then be my guest
But im still interested to learn about 'the angle of the dangle'

Regards
Sam.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

for 800 bucks I'd suggest buying a used deep vee style gasser, or building a gasser deep vee, at least 48inches long for running in ocean waves, I wouldnt run it in more then 6-8 inch waves though, also saltwater is a killer on electronics and corrodes very quickly...and as for about a third of the boats overall length from the transom is about were it should be...have you found pictures of anything that you like, that would probablly help everyone here to help you out a little better...get things going in the right direction
Old 09-17-2007, 05:28 PM
youdirtyfox

Yeah Im really loving deep vee to be honest. On what I like, would really have to be http://bonzisports.com/boats.html looks wise.

So I have to drop the two stroke idea and go right for a four stroke gas engine then! Better move subforums lol
Im still inclined towards something a bit smaller though, lightweight and chuckable (just like my little peugeot turbo) Those gassers look big ! but very cool all the same.

I would like to be able to build it up bit by bit also, to aid the wallet! and so the missus wont know how much im spending hahahaha.
Plus I think you learn alot more that way
Old 09-18-2007, 06:42 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO FOUR STROKE ENGINE, A GAS TWO STROKE LIKE A ZENOA, YOU KNOW A WEED WACKER ENGINE.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Patrick_W

Not a four stroke in an r/c boat. 800 bucks is quite a bit to play around with. like the other guy said, a zeonah 26cc or something would be good.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:56 PM
youdirtyfox

Cool , got the picture thanks. Looking up on it now

Have put another topic up in the gas section http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63...tm.htm#6384525