Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Radio box on miss vegas.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Radio box on miss vegas.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Checkpointracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio box on miss vegas.

Hello, I'm a car guy (as you may tell in my avaitar). I own a electric aquacraft hammer and I didn't like the radio box at all with it's really, really hard to unscrew screws, well now my family is talking about a lake home and if thats the case I'd like to do boats again, this time nitro, so I was wondering if the radio box screws on the miss vegas are a little eaiser to unscrew. And if not could someone give me a tip on how to unscrew the screws without stripping them? Also how is the miss vegas overall?

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Radio box on miss vegas.

The Miss Vegas, Super-Vee's and now the Rio 51 use snap-on covers for their radio boxes.
As far as the MV goes, we seem to have a lot of happy owners in here.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Checkpointracer

Cool, thanks Ron.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:31 PM
d-lo

the newer miss vegas' has snap on radio covers? oh, i thought they were still the screw on type........
Old 12-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Could be.......
Old 12-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Jerry Dunlap

The MV radio box is easily removed from the hull. It is necessary to remove the servo tray first to access the forward screws in the radio box. The MV radio box is a press fit and with the front and back screws holding it in place. I have screwed bolts into the sides of the radio box in the front and back and then stretch a rubber band across the lid to hold it down.

JD
Old 12-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

The Miss Vegas, Super-Vee's and now the Rio 51 use snap-on covers for their radio boxes.
As far as the MV goes, we seem to have a lot of happy owners in here.
All three of our MVs, and the new boxes I have ordered for them, are all screw on. Not saying there arent "snap close" boxes now, but I have not seen them.

The box opens up easily, the problems folks have with them is the ears that are sticking out for the screws keep breaking off, and the bottom of the boxes crack (normally found when trying to figure out why the box is filling with water).

I have replaced two of our radio boxes so far with new OEM boxes. One of those boxes broke again (one of the the ears), so I trimmed off what was left, and glued a small wooden block to the box so I could screw the screw into it.

I have seen others that just don't use the screws any more. They buy long zip straps and use them to hold the box shut.

I have thought of doing something similar to what JD described, but glueing something to the box to loop a rubber band over.

The boat is a great boat for the price, so don't get me wrong with my comments. Not trying to slam the boat, just trying to pass on info...

Sean
Old 12-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Checkpointracer

Thanks, One more question, does the steer fin on the right side of the boat have to be there? Couldn't I just use the rudder to steer the boat? I don't plan to race it anytime soon.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Sean Bowf

Yes, the turn fin needs to be there. Without it, the boat would just crab when you tried to steer it, and pretty much just keep on moving straight.

Sean
Old 12-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Russ Williamson

MV still has screw on radio box lid. However, the pre-drilled holes in the box have been slightly enlarged to make removing the screws easier.
Thanks,
Rw
Old 12-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Jerry Dunlap

A photo of my radio box.

JD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93700.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	829053  
Old 12-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Checkpointracer

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:39 PM
fastmustang

Sean Bowf no the turn fin really doesnt have to be on there i run with a bunch of guys and girls thats one of the first things that goes if you set up the rudder the miss vegus with spin out like i have done mine so many times all it gives is drag and like the spoiler it adds wight get rid of it and you still dont have any problem also to add i found out all this stuff from one of the big time racers and learned from it
Old 10-01-2008, 06:26 AM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: fastmustang

Sean Bowf no the turn fin really doesnt have to be on there i run with a bunch of guys and girls thats one of the first things that goes if you set up the rudder the miss vegus with spin out like i have done mine so many times all it gives is drag and like the spoiler it adds wight get rid of it and you still dont have any problem also to add i found out all this stuff from one of the big time racers and learned from it
Yes, the turn fin needs to be there... I have only seen a hydro try to race once without a turn fin....and it would not turn through the first turn. If your boat is turning OK through the turn in a regulation course without a turn fin, you are running way wet. The front sponsons should barely be in the water...and if they are barely in the water they will not grab it well enough in a turn to allow the front of the boat to make it around the corner.

I think either you are not talking about the turn fin, or you are talking about a boat OTHER than a hydro (some monos don't need them).

Sean
Old 10-09-2008, 08:23 PM
fastmustang

No im talkin about the turn fin and ya im talkin about the Miss Vegas and as being in the water there is very very little of the boat in the wetter and it turns great and it holds its lane when racein an makes very quick turn manovers like every one i have talked to says the miss vegas does not go fast to really need a turn fin it just adds wight
Old 10-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Jerry Dunlap

ORIGINAL: fastmustang

No im talkin about the turn fin and ya im talkin about the Miss Vegas and as being in the water there is very very little of the boat in the wetter and it turns great and it holds its lane when racein an makes very quick turn manovers like every one i have talked to says the miss vegas does not go fast to really need a turn fin it just adds wight
Anyone who says the MV isn't going fast enough to need a turn fin obviously hasn't attempted to make a turn with the MV w/o the turn fin. But, what does the guy who designed the boat know, any how?

JD
Old 10-10-2008, 07:33 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe he is running around in circles about half throttle in a swiming pool. MY SONS MV LOST A TURN FIN WHILE COMMING OUT TO THE STRAIGHT AND ENDED UP ON THE SHORE IN A HURRY.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:26 PM
fastmustang

No im runnin in agood size lake and i know what i have been doing and i have the brace there for the turn fin but the turn fin is at the bottom of the lake where we run so when i get the video back of the boat runnin ill post it on here
Old 10-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Dan S

Please do put a video,

I would like to see the Vegas turning on rails and not sliding without a turn fin.

Dan.