Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Who makes flywheels? Old Octura?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Who makes flywheels? Old Octura?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 03:19 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who makes flywheels? Old Octura?

I have an old 36" Dumas shovel nose hydro kit I was going to (eventually) assemble with an Enya .35 engine, kind of a "retro" r/c boat. I was scoping out hardware, and discovered I can no longer find anyone that offers flywheels. Octura used to have the nicest pieces available, but it appears they quit making them (and the collets). I see Dumas has a limited number available, but it looks like you need to buy an entire hardware kit to get the flywheel. Is there another mfg. for flywheels out there? If I cannot find one, I guess I'll find someone with a lathe to cut one out of brass. Since I don't have specific measurements, I would have it made with the "That Looks About Right" method (smaller than the one on a K&B .40, and larger than one on a .21). I've seen some on the auction site, but rarely, and they are never for the size I was looking for.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:20 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Who makes flywheels? Old Octura?

You might be better off getting a .21 from OS, CMB, NR or MAC. The power output is probably close, if not more than the Enya and will use less fuel. This wouldn't be the Miss Unlimited would it?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:40 AM
FlyingPilgrim

Yes, Miss Unlimited kit. Do you mean get the flywheel off the parts list from one of your suggested engines, or just replace the whole engine? I planned on using the old (NIB) Enya just because it is "correct" for the era the boat was released (that and the fact that it's sitting on my shelf). I'm not interested in the power of an updated design engine, thought it just look better in the engine bay.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:04 AM
gooycheese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I'm not real sure what this engine looks like is it a marine engine? It also sounds like this kit is a sport 40 kit, if so do ya think the .35 enya will power it? I am just asking not saying .

ok if flywheels are what you need this is a flywheel for and OS .21 :
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKKU0&P=Z

This is a flywheel for a OS .46 :
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCB11&P=Z

This is a flywheel for a Dynamite .32 :
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PRB2057

There are more flywheels to be gotten but this will give you a place to start looking.

Depending on the cash you are looking to spend, i would consider getting a .45 engine. The OS .46 is fairly cheap but it does have the 180 header which is kinda sucky for this application, the OPS .45 is another good lower cost engine. If money isn't really an issue you could go with a CMB or Mac, let us know what you are thinking there are many directions to guide you in.

Paul
Old 02-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Sean Bowf

If the boat was built to stock specs, it will be a little heavier that a modern boat. With this in mind, I would use an engine size that is made for the boat, and not go smaller.

I did not know octura quit making flywheels and collets... Or do you just mean they quit making them for that engine??

I contacted Dumas once about getting a piece out of one of their kits. The person I contacted gave me the part number to order, and I ordered 3 of them. In short, I would check with Dumas, if they have the flywheel you want, and see if they will sell one seperately from the kit.

Sean
Old 02-01-2008, 08:22 AM
FlyingPilgrim

Sean, that's a good idea, perhaps they can sell the item in a kit separately even though it's not listed as a seperate part.

The kit instructions listed a .35 engine in the design. I'm sure a .40 would be fine, but, like I said, the Enya .35 is on hand, and was the max described in the kit. It is a marine engine, with finned head, cooling jacket around cylinder. I'll post a pic when I get some time. It's kind of a cool looking engine, and has the baffled piston design which was prior to Perry Directional Porting used in todays engines. I just thought it would be interesting to use an old style engine in this old style kit more for display than for running. Maybe even make a custom muffler with several upturned small tubes to mimmic a full scale boat of olden days. I see Octura props sold all over the place, but do not see anyone that lists their flywheels/collets.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:59 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: FlyingPilgrim
I see Octura props sold all over the place, but do not see anyone that lists their flywheels/collets.
Dealers don't stock things that don't sell regularly, but that doesn't mean they're not available. I know Octura still carries flywheels, I bought a couple in the last few years. Call a shop that deals with Octura regularly, or go directly to the source and call Octura. I order lots of stuff from Gary Preusse at G&M 630-279-2451. If he doesn't have it, he will usually order it. I don't call Octura but this is the number listed in their IMPBA Roostertail ad (847) 674-7351.