Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Sunstorm 1000 - GXR28MR Question

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Sunstorm 1000 - GXR28MR Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:19 PM
kohbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunstorm 1000 - GXR28MR Question

I've tried to do all the research I can on this issue but i have come out empty handed in the past couple of days. I recently bought a new Kyosho Sunstorm 1000. I followed all the steps in the manual for getting it ready for it's first run. The engine roared to life and quickly died seconds later. Again, the same thing. It has yet to turn on again. I have worked in the needle valve from every position, replaced the glow plug, bought a new heater. I have not touched the idle mixture screw or idle adjustment screw. Every time I try to get it running it does he same thing. The engine turns but nothing happens. Sometimes I feel some nitro but I can't tell where it's coming out from and after cranking a few times a puddle of nitro forms at the bottom of hull. In addition the exhaust tube connected to the muffler has droplets of nitro coming out with every pull of the starter cord.

I've stayed up the past 3 nights trying to get it running. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:54 PM
misshydro

Default RE: Sunstorm 1000 - GXR28MR Question

It's flooding out on you. You need to turn the hight speed screw all the away back in. then turn it out about 2 1/2. The lowspeed screw you dont touch. also check and see if you got any leaks in the fuel lines too.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:43 AM
kohbo

When you say highspeed screw you mean the Idle Mixture Screw? This engine uses different names for all the needles...

One is the Air/Fuel Mixture Screw
One is the Idle Control (I'm guessing low speed screw)
Third is the Fuel Control Screw (needle screw)

I was thinking it was flooding, while waiting for post I removed the glow plug and pulled the cord to get excess fuel out with the fuel line disconnected. I also tried to get as much fuel out of the muffler as possible. I put the glow plug back and tried to start... nothing. Turned the needle screw (fuel control screw) all the way in and out 2.5 turns like the manual said... nothing. Tried to open fuel control all the way and in 2.5 turns... nothing. After doing a couple of 1/8 turns on the fuel control still nothing but I could feel small drops hitting my feet once again.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:13 AM
kohbo

to add a sidenote to my last post...

I can still pull the starter cord even when fuel is coming out of the muffler. don't know if this counts for anything... i'm new to the whole nitro scene.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Dan S

We need to know the size of the engine and it would help a whole lot if you were to put a few pics showing us those needles.

Dan.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:45 AM
misshydro

Dan it said on the heading on the motor size! look! Plus I have a boat mag with an artical about that boat. It has a GXR.28MR. The specks on it stinks!!! Plus that boat is 40" long too. To much on that motor in my opion!!! Needs a .40-.46 motor. I think that motor is a team infinity,because I'd called them last year to get some info in it. Ok your hight speed screw is the long black sticking out the side of that carb,It's on the same side as the pull starter. That carb looks like a thundertiger carb!!! If it's the same carb?? Then 2 1/2 is to much for it!!! You need to start at 1 1/2 turns out. Because my Thundertiger pro.21 MX-R manual says to turn it to 2 1/2 and it wouldnt start and flooded the motor out badly!!! So I turned it to 1 1/4- 1 1/2 out and she'd fired up and ran!!
Old 04-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Dan S

I took a picture of the Manual

if you have the Manual go to page 4 (in Japanese before that).

- The #3 which they call needle valve his your HSN (High Speed Needle), turning the HSN clockwise (IN) leans your mixture and counterclockwise (OUT) richen's the mixture.

- The #4 which they call Idle adjustment screw is better known as the Barrel stop screw. Here they say to adjust it so the carb stays open just enough for idling......DON"T, if you do this when comes the time for your to turn of the motor (by applying the brake on your radio) it won't turn off because the screw is adjusted to prevent the barrel from closing the carb. What you want to do is adjust it so that you can close the carb when you apply the brake on you radio, than adjust the opening with the throttle trim on the radio.

- The #7 which they call Idle mixture screw is your LSN (Low Speed Needle), turned in the same direction (rotation) has the HSN. This will adjust your low speed mixture (lean or rich).

than do as per the manual, HSN 2 to 2 1/2 turn out and your LSN if required.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41892.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	927490  
Old 04-11-2008, 07:16 PM
kohbo

I started the HSN at 1 1/2 turns out and the boat sprang to life but died only seconds later. I tried again and the boat died once again. I haven't touched the other two screws but its seems like the engine flooded once again. Is there a way to get it dry again besides waiting a full day before trying again?
Old 04-11-2008, 07:51 PM
misshydro

try going down to 1 1/4 turn. I had a.21 LEO that ran on 1 1/4 turns out too. Dan also the O.S.21 are 1 1/2 turns out too. I'd looked at there specks when I couldnt start my thundertiger pro.21 MX-R. turned mine at 1 1/4 and she firedup and ran!![8D] I think the chinese get confused with small blocks specks? could do is start turning the needle in alittle at a time until she fires up and then start turnning it out until she runs alittle garggled then your close.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Dan S

kohbo,

ensure you read everything I posted, using the throttle trim did you adjust the carb so its open 1/16 to 1/8"?

yes you can unflood, you don't have to wait the whole day.

Remove the glow plug, turn upside down and a few shot of the pull start to help get the fuel out.

Dan.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:25 PM
kohbo

Yeah, the inlet is open about 1/16 of an inch while the trigger is at the neutral position. I'm going to try and move the HSN to 1 1/4 and see how it goes. Thanks for the info about getting the extra fuel out, hopefully i wont have to use it tonight.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:33 PM
kohbo

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I finally got it running having the HSN open about 1 1/8 out. I've been playing with the boat since yesterday letting the motor just run in the lake. I tried to open up the throttle just a hair and it stalled out. I'm guessing this is part of the break-in process and I'm still on my second tank. I noticed the exhaust letting out white smoke so I'll adjust the mixture to be a bit more lean.

If there's anything else you guys think I should know please do tell. Like i said i'm a total newb to the whole nitro scene so I appreciate all the help.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:07 AM
Jonjoe

Hi there
WOW THERES SUPPOST 2 BE LOTS AND LOTS OF WHITE SMOKE IF THERES NO SMOKE THAT MEANS ITS WAY 2 LEAN AND U WILL BLOW UR ENGINE UP!!!!!!!!
ALSO IT SHOULD NOT STALL OUT WICH MEANS ITS ETHER UR LOW SPEED OR UR TICKOVER
HOPE THIS HELPS
Jonjoe
Old 06-15-2008, 12:20 AM
romainchu78

I have just bought this boat the kyosho sunstorm 1000 with the engine gxr28mr. i didn't start the break in yet because i want to make sure i understand everything. I understand that the needle valve HSN (fuel inflow) needs to be opened 2 1/2 turns from closed position (setting by default) but they also ask to adjust the idle mixture screw LSN (7) p4 of manual but it is totally impossible to acces to that screw because of the muffler in the way. besides on the second manual it shows to move the throttle lever and not the idle mixture screw? How is it possible to adjust the idle mixture screw (7) if we dont have room to do so ?
Old 06-15-2008, 07:35 AM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: kohbo

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I finally got it running having the HSN open about 1 1/8 out. I've been playing with the boat since yesterday letting the motor just run in the lake. I tried to open up the throttle just a hair and it stalled out. I'm guessing this is part of the break-in process and I'm still on my second tank. I noticed the exhaust letting out white smoke so I'll adjust the mixture to be a bit more lean.

If there's anything else you guys think I should know please do tell. Like i said i'm a total newb to the whole nitro scene so I appreciate all the help.
If you are saying that it idles well, but then dies on its transition while opening up the throttle, then your HSN is NOT adjusted right. The LSN is you fuel adjustment for idling...the HSN is your fuel adjustment for when the throttle is open. Though the manuals are wrong some time...my guess would be that at 1 1/8 turns out on the HSN, you are too lean when you open the throttle. I have zero experience with your engine...but if you manual is saying 2 to 2.5 turns out, and you have it at 1 1/8...it is probably too lean.

It is not unusual for it to die some times during breakin...but if it is dieing every time, there is a problem. During breakin, you should be getting a little oil/fuel out the exhaust when you are running past idle....since you should be running a little rich.

Sean
Old 06-15-2008, 11:55 AM
romainchu78

i agree with sean the HSn needs to be turned out 2 1/2 but not 1 1/4 because it is too lean. i am sure it is possible to make it work with the hsn turned out to 2 1/2 but it means the LSN needs to be adjusted. but how to do it? there is no room to access to it ?
Old 06-15-2008, 02:51 PM
kohbo

I really appreciate all the help everyone hasgiven me in finding a solution to my engine problem. Unfortunately, I'm back in Baghdad and my boat is still back home. Before I left I was having an issue where the engine was ramping up in speed and could only be turned off by covering the exhaust. It'll have to wait til I get back in 2009.

once again, thanks everyone.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: kohbo

I really appreciate all the help everyone hasgiven me in finding a solution to my engine problem. Unfortunately, I'm back in Baghdad and my boat is still back home. Before I left I was having an issue where the engine was ramping up in speed and could only be turned off by covering the exhaust. It'll have to wait til I get back in 2009.

once again, thanks everyone.
Good luck to you...

Sean
Old 06-15-2008, 05:25 PM
romainchu78

Is anybody has an answer on how to operate the LSN (to adjust the idle mixture screw) # (7) p4 of manual because for me it is impossible to acces to that screw because of the muffler in the way? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:36 PM
vamp131

what fuel you using use 20 % or higher
Old 06-18-2008, 10:28 PM
romainchu78

i am using a 20% nitro + 16% lube. I actually started the boat last night and i didn't have to touch the LSN screw. i turned the HSN 2 1/2 turns it worked out pretty good. how it still doing good. i have smoke and oil coming out of the exaust and the temperature around the glow plug is 190F.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:05 AM
nicktheswede

I discowerd the same problem, but i found out that bits (like those you use in screwdriver machines) solves the problem.
use a small flat one and use your fingers to turn the bit, works exelent.