Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Transom support.

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Transom support.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:06 PM
youdirtyfox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transom support.

Me again!

I have made a cardboard mock-up of my transom support that I need to make, following the outlines of the inside edge.
Couple of questions:

Does it need to be this shape or can it be alot smaller, ie just supporting the strut and rudder in a strip?
Also, I figure from the search I need to make this from good quality birch ply?, but what thickness of material and do I then once made
/drilled , cover the support in Fibreglass resin?

Cheers in advance,
Sam.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22134.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	953383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66124.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	953384  
Old 05-20-2008, 01:56 PM
misshydro

Default RE: Transom support.

it can be smaller. Just make it without the side sponsons,,cut those sponsonsends off that cardbord temp. That will Make it into the retangle for the center section. Use 1/8 airplane plywood or burch. then glue it with epoxy or fiberglass resin and cut a fiberglass cloth to go over that wood on the inside for strengh and suport.[8D]
Old 05-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Epoxy both sides. you might want to do the side facing the transom first then clamp it inot place then do the side facing in after that's dried.
You might want to move the rudder further inboard also. Line up the bracket with the stringer. It will make things a lot easier down the road when you have to hook up the rudder linkage.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:44 AM
youdirtyfox

Thanks for the help :-D

So do I clamp and epoxy it in place first, then drill the holes through the back of the transom for the rudder/strut into the support?
I *think* Im going to use blind nuts, as once the radio box is in place I wont be able to get to the nuts, unless I make the radio box
removable?! But then how would I do that?

Cheers again
Old 05-26-2008, 08:09 AM
misshydro

First sand both sides of that wood with 80 grit sand paper for the epoxy to get a good gip on. then put the epoxy on the side that going to the transom part. then clamp it. after it dries then unclamp it then put the fiberglass cloth over it and epoxy it.After it dries then you can drill your holes. Ok on making removable radio box. Do it like the miss vegas. Make four wooden blocks and place each one at four corners of the radio box then screw the box down. Epoxy those blocks down and put some epoxy over the blocks too for water protection.[8D]
Old 05-26-2008, 08:45 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry, but that's overkill. Just epoxy the doubler in place. If you're using blind nuts then make sure that the wood is thick enough.
You're lucky as you should be able to have good access to the doubler when putting the blind nuts in. I've had to put them in several small boats with my fat fingers! Needle-nose pliers, either regular ones or a Vise-Grip type really help.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:45 AM
misshydro

not realy Ron. the vegas as it looks was do the same way. The glass cloth will give it more strenght and better protection against the water. The wood does need to be sanded for adheaion perpose.