Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Best 3.5 Tunnel????

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Best 3.5 Tunnel????

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 07:57 AM
rosecrafts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 3.5 Tunnel????

I want to purchase a 3.5 tunnel and put a OS outboard on it. What tunnel hull should I be searching for? Or even better where can I get a good one?
Old 06-07-2008, 10:16 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best 3.5 Tunnel????

If you can find one get a TS2.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:44 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Leecraft XTR-21, HTB290 (mod), HTB260 (sport), if you can find a LYNX.. TS2 not bad, but needs help.. Can't be beat on the price though.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:25 PM
kyle_yokomo

Unless you are going to use a super-modified engine, stay away from the Top Speed 2. Everyone I know including myself has spent countless hours trying to tune them in and they just never seem to handle good. In the straight-away there good, but in the corners they bounce up and down and get out of control, or they hook real bad. This is the opinion of many people in my club, most of the guys have ditched there TS2 for the dumas hotshot 3.5, another guy cut 3 inches of the back and seems to handle better.

Besides they arent selling them anymore (Thank God) rumors of a Top Speed 3 are in the future, hopefully it will handle better than the TS2 and not be so long in length

Get a HTB, Leecraft or Dumas
Old 06-09-2008, 07:59 AM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

I run on a small pond with a Villian, Nemisis and Hotshot 3.5. For the money and the tight turns, the hot shot 3.5 is the best.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:00 PM
kroggs

ORIGINAL: rosecrafts

I want to purchase a 3.5 tunnel and put a OS outboard on it. What tunnel hull should I be searching for? Or even better where can I get a good one?
currently 2 ts2 are for sale in the buy sell area of this web site but they both include the outboards
Old 06-10-2008, 06:24 AM
ozbryan

ORIGINAL: kyle_yokomo

Unless you are going to use a super-modified engine, stay away from the Top Speed 2. Everyone I know including myself has spent countless hours trying to tune them in and they just never seem to handle good. In the straight-away there good, but in the corners they bounce up and down and get out of control, or they hook real bad. This is the opinion of many people in my club, most of the guys have ditched there TS2 for the dumas hotshot 3.5, another guy cut 3 inches of the back and seems to handle better.

Besides they arent selling them anymore (Thank God) rumors of a Top Speed 3 are in the future, hopefully it will handle better than the TS2 and not be so long in length

Get a HTB, Leecraft or Dumas
Wow you must be doing somthing wrong... dont take that the wrong way but i have ts2 2 and i would say they turn beter than they run in a straight line...

Ive run a cmb green head on one.. and im now running an OER mod OS on one.
They bothe have the ts2 bounce in the straights but corner great! are you running the recovery pads?? how high is your motor set?? i think its too deep.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:23 PM
kyle_yokomo

Im running the recovery pads, and a K&Bss motor.

The engines your running are higher horsepower units, and those seem to work alot better with the TS2, I have to agree that for the price its hard to beat, It just requires alot of tuning and patience, more than any other tunnel Ive owned. The Dumas HotShot 3.5 seems to handle like a dream compared to the TS2, although the TS2 can handle higher top speeds. The Dumas is fast but it is limited on top speed due to its size.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:30 PM
dickson_racing

hey if you havent purchesed one yet im in kitsap rc boat club and i just got a 3.5 leecraft tunnel it will be fast and alfred lanza is the only one with the molds just type leecraft racing on google and there will be a link to the homepage
Old 12-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Rick Sowell
My Feedback: (2)

Get a VS-1, way better than the TS2 and it is in stock at Tower for 149.00, can't beat that price. runs awsome with stock OS outboard. I love mine. Rick
Old 12-27-2008, 06:00 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: rosecrafts

not done yet...it's coming

want straight speed calm water get lynx, for heat racing htb 29, just for fun dumas hotshot...
Old 12-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

First choice if I were to get back into 3.5 OB tunnels would be a VS-1 as it has the most bang for the buck. Second option would be an HTB. The VS-1 may be a new boat but it already has a racing pedigree. It was originally the Villain S-1 but to avoid any confusion with the Traxxas Villain I can see why they went with the VS-1. It was made for stock engines. Mike's Nemesis was made for modded engines. I wouldn't be surprised if that one comes out of the Aquacraft stables one of these days.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:47 PM
nuzum

Guys there is no comparison too the new sniper 20 bar none!!!!! sniperboats.com rough or smooth
Old 12-31-2008, 08:19 PM
eengler

Well I don't know about "modified" or "not modified". I have had several tunnels and I recently purchased a VS1 with a stock O.S. it is hitting 46.0 MPH on the GPS. It handles great as long as there is (slight to no-chop). Then again, I have never seen a 20 tunnel run in "choppy" water at 46mph. I order to reach 46, it takes some time with the tunning but the boat is very appreciative. I also have a wood hot shot and it's great with a regular k/b hitting 38mph all day. Then again SLIGHT to NO-CHOP. You will not regret either of these boats. BUY THE VS-1. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME OF A 20 TUNNEL THAT THEY HAVE SEEN RUN 50MPH ON CHOPPY WATER?
Old 01-01-2009, 04:39 AM
HOOTERS racing

we offen race at full speed on a half to a 1 inch but most of us are useing htb 290 hulls my htb runs all day at 53mph full mod cmb on lawless lower a half inch chop is the best water for a htb
Old 01-01-2009, 09:01 AM
eengler

Nice speed Hooters, I think i might be able to gain about 1 more mph out of my O.S, but that's about it. I have thought about building your set-up but it's kind of pricey and i am sure it's not easy to "tune". I am sure it will take some good tinkering to get it to 53. When you say full mod, slevee and crankshaft on that CMB are ported? How fast is a non-modified CMB outboard on an HTB? Are you using a silver bullet?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:35 PM
HOOTERS racing

yeah its a bit of a pain to keep it tunned once the prop hight is set it wont move what it comes down to
is picking the right prop to suit the water im running in pick the wrong prop and its a slug get the right one one
there and it flys

as for the cmb its a cmb ls green head its had its piston and liner and crank and crank case moded by me and im useing
irwin pipe

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...Picture023.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...lastscanff.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...acing/hoot.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...acing/chop.jpg
Old 01-01-2009, 03:38 PM
HOOTERS racing

iv never ran a stock cmb but i do know thats some of the first 3.5 rs outboards had timeing problem i think they have fixed that now
and i know a few people have had the crank pin thats fits in to the pto snap of other then that cant realy help you on stock speed

cheer
Old 02-15-2009, 06:41 PM
laedco58

DELETE
Old 02-15-2009, 06:44 PM
laedco58

ORIGINAL: eengler

Well I don't know about "modified" or "not modified". I have had several tunnels and I recently purchased a VS1 with a stock O.S. it is hitting 46.0 MPH on the GPS. It handles great as long as there is (slight to no-chop). Then again, I have never seen a 20 tunnel run in "choppy" water at 46mph. I order to reach 46, it takes some time with the tunning but the boat is very appreciative. I also have a wood hot shot and it's great with a regular k/b hitting 38mph all day. Then again SLIGHT to NO-CHOP. You will not regret either of these boats. BUY THE VS-1. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME OF A 20 TUNNEL THAT THEY HAVE SEEN RUN 50MPH ON CHOPPY WATER?
HTB 290
Old 02-15-2009, 08:34 PM
eengler

i don't know about anyone else, but my VS-1 is GREAT and I am doing 47mph on GPS with mine. A hot shot cannot handle that speed. And I have not seen anyone else go 47 on a "stock" engine..... VS1 baby!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2009, 10:51 PM
ob nut

My Hot Shot Sprint, wood, is running 47 mph every day out.. Rod G. worked K&B SS with a Props-4-U 1440 b/c... At last years Wine race, boat took 1st in Sport and 2nd in Open B. Not bad when both classes had over 15 boats entered.

The Hydro&Marine Skater Formula One handles chop real well. Watched Wave Waker run his boat at a Dayton, Oh race one year. The race was full of white caps. His was the only tunnel that made one lap the whole event.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:30 AM
new2rcboating

Hi Guys ,

Yet to run my Dumas Hotshot 45 , that has been converted to Fast Electric , though I will be doing so mid year with the Model Boat Club of New South Wales in Sydney Australia . It will run in the " EB Outboard Class " . I handbuilt it myself , and it is fitted with a 1340kv Brushless Motor spinning an X642 Prop , and a Turnigy 180Amp ESC . From the YouTube Videos i have seen , it's a great handling hull .

All the best in R/C Boating .
Brad .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160323_123628.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	2153943