Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

How to Modify/Make a Custom Header

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

How to Modify/Make a Custom Header

Old 07-12-2008, 04:05 PM
TCHedOff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Modify/Make a Custom Header

I bought a Mac Header for my .15 3 yrs ago and it has the smallest radius (1 5/8") in turning the required 90 degres to run back to my mac 2.5 pipe. I had hoped it would fit insider the cowl of my Miss Bud 1/12, but no go.

I've read thru many threads on this forum, but only saw one post of how to modify a header and it involved using an oil lamp (dont have one) and sootily heating the pipe then using a propane torch to anneal the pipe until you get the required bends. Sounds alittle dicey to me (I hope to retain the circular shape w/o mking it flat in the bending process).

1) Maybe there is a header I can just buy that will do the job and stay w/i my cowl (anyone know?). Or 2) I is there any people/shops that do customizing or modifying of an existing header to meet my needs? Or 3) how have the rest of you managed to bend a header to fit?

BTW Why does the factory 1/12 Miss Bud have that large octogon chamber???!!! The Mac is a smooth pipe w/o chamber. Does the chamber serve any purpose?
Old 07-12-2008, 04:11 PM
TCHedOff

Default RE: How to Modify/Make a Custom Header

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask this too... the length of the factory header is @3" (didnt measure yet) and the Mac header is @ 5-6" (havent measured, but it is WAY longer). I was going to cut the length of the Mac header to match the length of the factory header. Any advice as to lengths of headers on a .15? ( Havent tried shortening the Mac pipe yet - so overall length can be adjusted later to match with the header).

thanks in advance.

todd
Old 07-12-2008, 10:23 PM
misshydro

Well I custom cut my headers and have them welded by a weld shop of less then 10.00 I have a .21 in mine was a miss bud now the Oberto. I'd watched how Orange county choppers does there headers, But I'd cut the pieces and tack then with super glue to see how eack pieces fit,then mark them so the welder can tac them before full well. if you deside to go that route that you boat with you with motor mounted and chech and see after each weld that still fits to your boat. I've done this six times on different boats headers.[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91872.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	989413  
Old 07-13-2008, 10:29 AM
gralls4771

Here is the header in my Miss Bud......

Old 07-14-2008, 03:25 PM
TCHedOff

Thanks MissHydro & Gralls4771.

Garlls 4771... Your header has a chamber like my factory header. But the Mac header I bought - doesnt have a chamber - just a smooth, flowing pipe. Why the chamber??? I woudl seem that would flow as well as a pipe w/o the chamber?? Anyone?