Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

AM vs FM

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:08 PM
bryston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AM vs FM

hi,
whats the advantage of having FM radio vs AM, i have bothe of them i notice no diffrence running both of them for boats and cars, am asking bc i have 4 AM receivers am not using am thinking to buy Am transmitrer with memory. or should i keep buying FM.
THANKS
Old 09-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Default RE: AM vs FM

ORIGINAL: bryston

hi,
whats the advantage of having FM radio vs AM, i have bothe of them i notice no diffrence running both of them for boats and cars, am asking bc i have 4 AM receivers am not using am thinking to buy Am transmitrer with memory. or should i keep buying FM.
THANKS
Your major difference will be the ability to reject interferance. The FM radio will not be as succeptable to electrical "noise" and will not glitch as an AM radio will.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:30 PM
roughneck793

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_230677/anchors_3660136/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3660136[/link]
Old 10-01-2008, 06:36 AM
Sean Bowf

If you look in the rule book for the IMPBA, it actually says you can't use odd number frequencies with AM radios (page O-1). It says they have to be FM or PCM. I am guessing that adjacent AM frequencies would cause interference with each other.

If you think about it in the context of a radio in a car. The AM stations during a storm with have pops and stuff in them from the storm. FM does not do this. In short, FM will be less susceptable to interference. Can an AM radio be succesfully run?? Heck yes. But you may run it fine at your pond, then bring it to another pond and try to run, and have a bunch of glitches due to different things being near the pond. I don't think any radio is 100% interference/glitch free...

Sean
Old 10-01-2008, 08:15 AM
LtDoc

bryston,
In very general terms, AM tends to be more susceptible to common types of interference than FM is. That does not mean that FM isn't susceptible to interference, it certainly is. (Any and all radio systems can be interfered with if the RF 'environment' is dirty enough.)
All things considered with your situation, if you can find a nice, frugal (as in cheap), transmitter to work with your receivers with the features you want, why not? (Then again, your situation could be a good excuse to get a new whizz-bang thingy with lots of gizmos to make things 'better'!)
- 'Doc
Old 10-01-2008, 04:07 PM
skoda450

The cost of an AM transmitter will pale in comparison to the cost of loosing your model in a crash due to radio interferance. There is one reason that radios went from AM to FM to PCM to PPm to spread spectrum and thats less interferance. Don't go backwards because it's cheaper. It's not worth the loss of a model.