Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Proper Transmitter Range Check

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Proper Transmitter Range Check

Old 10-01-2008, 10:14 PM
ka350kaptain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Transmitter Range Check

I had some radio problems with my boat last trip to the pond with losing radio signal only about 100 feet away. I understand that to range check, you should walk away from your boat with the transmitter antenna down to make sure reception is good. I have a Futaba Magnum 2PL AM transmitter and an older Magnum Sport AM transmitter. With fresh batteries in the TX and new servos (Futaba), new reciever (Futaba R152JE 2 Channel) in the boat, the servos start to chatter like crazy when I am only about ten feet away from them with the antenna down. Is this normal? Pull up the antennna and no more chatter. I would think I could get farther away than that? I have tried using the two different transmitters and two different recievers I have and get the same results. I have swapped recievers, battery packs (5 cell hump packs), servos, etc..

This is a fairly new developement, as the boats, up until recently have been operating glitch free, even at much farther distances when the boats were run up on Lake Huron, where they were able to run alot farther away from me than on the local pond.

Could the reciever battery pack (5 cell) cause this? Maybe its not fully charged?

ANy ideas would help.

Karl

PS I know you are going to say get an FM transmitter right?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:01 PM
LtDoc

Default RE: Proper Transmitter Range Check

Karl,
A range check with the transmitter antenna retracted is to make for a shorter walk, sort of. A retracted antenna means a weaker signal, so whatever distance you get with it that way is at least a reasonable guess as to the 'least' you can expect. Leaving that antenna extended to find the usable range isn't a bad idea at all, just means a longer walk and time spent doing that check. One method produces a guess as to the least amount of range you can expect, the other method produces the maximum range you could expect. Glass half full, or half empty, sort of thingy. Your choice, just don't 'push' too far, you know? Extended antenna range should be at least twice the retracted antenna range as a very rough and 'conservative' guess. (Probably more, but not a bet I'm gonna make with a radio system I haven't tested my self...chicken you know.) Oh well, do the 'long' test and be conservative.
- 'Doc

PS - Good excuse for an FM system... make it a 2.4 Ghz system, push that 'excuse' for all it's worth!
Old 10-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The average range test is to do it with the antenna all the way down and you should have 60 feet or more of radio contact that way. I've got a 2PL in my Super-Vee 27 and haven't had a problem at all with it. The problem could be a lot of things, possibly a bad crystal giving you fits.
No, I'm not going to tell you to buy a 2.4 Gig radio as I'm still leery of them myself. I've still got a lot of AM radios that work fine but have been switching over slowly to FM.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:54 AM
jetpack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the battery is putting out more volts or at its peak voltage, this could cause problems too.

Try the range check again with the reciever battery used up a bit, see if it goes away.

Voltage regulators or BEC recievers eliminate jitter problems on full charge, or higher voltage packs.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Sean Bowf

We commonly park our cars near our pop up canopys at our pond. I noticed if someone has their car running with radio on, it affects the range check. Also, if I have the back hatch of our mini van open and the boat is under/near it, that will also reduce the distance of the range check. Also...if other transmitters are on near your boat, it will affect an antenna down range check.

What I am trying to say, is do your range away from everything, including other peoples transmitters.

I probably get about 15 to 20 yards away with the antenna down. If I get that far away I call it good. So what you are seeing, would make me pretty nervous if I could not find the source of it.

Seasn
Old 10-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Dan S

For me, 50 feet or more on a range check (antenna down) is good to go. Anything below that, there's a problem.

I also was leery of the 2.4Ghz system but made the switch.......................wow! That's all I have to say about that.

Dan.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about your receiver antenna? Is it extended full length or bundled in a messy pile in the radio box? It's important that the antenna installation be neat and at no point should the antenna wire cross over itself.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:12 PM
ka350kaptain

The rx antenna wire is nice and neat, no overlaps. I had the RX antenna originally connected to an external whip antenna, so I didn't have to snake it through the cowl every time I put it back on. I was told that this added material will hurt reception, so I disconected it and just run a plastic tube, like original.