Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

nitro tunning

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

nitro tunning

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:05 PM
blackjak26ss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro tunning

anyone know the best place online to get tunning instructions
Old 10-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: nitro tunning

right here man, ask your questions and we will help you out...or find someone local who knows there stuff and can help you...
Old 10-22-2008, 07:27 PM
blackjak26ss

no one locally here tunes boats unfortinately i just need to know the basics to all together i guess
Old 10-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Vertical3-D

are we talking about engine tuning, or setting the boat up, both are kinda learn as you go but there are basics to each that will get you started, oh and what boat are we talking about, Im assuming a blackjack 26ss by your screen name
Old 10-22-2008, 10:19 PM
blackjak26ss

ha yes that is the right boat but first i am assuming i need to start with motor since my break in instructions tell me that as soon i complete break in to view the attached engine manual wich is not there so i contacted horizon hobby who is the distrubter and they all nitro motors are tune the same and i dont believe them 100%
Old 10-23-2008, 06:49 AM
Vertical3-D

well basically they are, I'm gonna guess that the engine in that boat has a standard two needle carb. one being the high speed needle and the other being the low speed needle, the highspeed is the larger more accessible one. the low speed is generally in the side of the carb where the throttle arm is attached. during break in the engines are set rich(more fuel) so now you can start slowly leaning it out, easiest way to do that that I have found to do this is to start turning the high speed needle in about 1/8th turn at a time, no more then an 1/8th though, and you will notice it will be getting faster/revving higher at wide open throttle. so get it warmed up, then go an 1/8 turn in, then run it, then go an 1/8th more and run it, at some point it will start to get worse(cutting out when you open the trottle all the way)...so then turn it out an 1/8th at a time till its running good again. that is how I would do it on an engine Im not familiar with. its kind of an art, you will get good at it over time and be able to hear and smell the difference in a lean or rich engine. the low speed needle is for idle and throttle response off of idle, so if it idles reliably and has god response then leave it, but by changing the high speed you may need to tweak that also, if the idle seems a bit erratic then its probably to lean, it if loads up(when you hit the gas it will hesitate) then its to rich...I usually set my throttle up so if I push the trigger on transmitter forward it will close the carb and shut off the engine, then set the idle with the throttle trim on the radio, that way when I get into shore after a run I can kill the engine. oh I also recommend getting a failsafe also, which will automaticly shut the boat down if radio contact is lost...
Old 10-23-2008, 09:27 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you get a few tanks of fuel through, it should get easier to tune also as the engine gets broken in for long, high speed running. Just be sure you dont let it get too lean where it gets hot and seems to want to quit on you, or starts going through glow plugs.

Burning glow plugs after one or two runs will be a good indicator that you are trying to run it too lean, and it can permanently damage your engine. Take it slow and dont get in a hurry to make it scream right away with only a couple tanks of fuel through it, and keep the needle set rich for awhile...it doesnt hurt.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:48 PM
black talon
My Feedback: (5)

turning the screws to the right will reduce the amount of fuel going to the motor or leaning it out. turning the screws to the left will increase the fuel or richen it.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:08 PM
racer504
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: blackjak26ss

no one locally here tunes boats unfortinately i just need to know the basics to all together i guess
I don't want to hijack your thread but that's not entirely true. I don't know of anyone who specializes in tuning boats, but we have a r/c boat racing club just across the river from Louisville. The Southern Indiana Propnuts race and run at Huber Winery. We are however pretty much done for this year due to lack of daylight and the number of activities Huber's has going on during the harvest season. If you have a place to run we might be able to get together and maybe we can help you out. PM me if your interested.
Good luck with your tuning. Mike
Old 10-25-2008, 07:21 PM
misshydro

this might help you out..[link]http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/Glow-plug-reading.html[/link]
Old 10-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Nitro engines you're going to have to tune constantly as the weather changes. We should have some people in here that have the boat so you can do a search in this forum using the words Blackjack 26 to find those threads.
Pro Boat will give you some approxiamate settings but seeing how they're shipped all over the world, where you live and the weather will dictate what your settings will be.
Next, while onshore and you get it fired up, blip the throttle, don't hold it wide open otherwise you'll be engine shopping. If the engine revs quickly, it's too lean. You want it to where there is a slight lag when you rev it.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Chriscraft

Dear Blackjac26SS,
What was already said about adjusting the needles is good advice. I watch the exhaust coming from the boat is another way to check motor operation. And look at your pipe for fuel.
Just watch the smoke behind the boat when you are running because a little bit of smoke or a bluish haze is a good thing.
Once you have adjusted for high speed running, check to see if you can go from idle to high speed with out the boat stalling. If it does then you have to adjust the low speed needle so there is a smooth transition form low to high.
And always grease the flex shaft before you run. So when you are finished for the day, re-grease the shaft for the next time. If you are running all day, you may have to grease the shaft after several tanks of fuel to keep running.
So, take some grease with you in your toolbox.