Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Enya 35 Marine Motor, Anyone seen this before?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Enya 35 Marine Motor, Anyone seen this before?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 02:11 PM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enya 35 Marine Motor, Anyone seen this before?

Hi,

I just received another motor. From what I can tell it is an Enya 35 sized marine motor. Does anyone know anything about them, are they any good? Are the worth much?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59703.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1095828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13164.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1095829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99527.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1095830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87593.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1095831  
Old 12-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Jerry Dunlap

Default RE: Enya 35 Marine Motor, Anyone seen this before?

The engine is basically the Enya 35 airplane motor with a water cooled head. Enya made quality model airplane engines. I had an Enya 19 Marine probably 40 years ago. The 35 would make a good sport engine for something like a 3 foot cabin cruiser.

JD
Old 01-10-2009, 01:57 PM
studioRS

I'll chime in with Jerry on this. I also owned an Enya .19, my first RC boat engine back about 30+ years ago too! I had this mounted in a Dumas SK-Daddle Jr., then later in a Manu Kai (I think that's what it was called??) wild tunnel hull design I bought from Gary Johnson. I worked for Charlie Pottle back then at Marine Specialties. I had a similar water cooled clamp that wrapped around head for the Enya .19 IIRC. Soon realized I needed a proper boat engine to wake up the Manu Kai (at the time 1977-78) and upgraded to a Veco .19 with a Marine Specialties water cooled head and some real McCoy parts.

Not bad for a first posting on this forum, digging up my memory banks and all. Good stuff.

.: Cheers, Thompson :.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Rocket-J
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that the same Charlie Pottle that lived in San Jose, Ca. in 1980? Had a machine shop and built all sorts of RC hardware. Did a lot of racing in the RC Unlimited class.
Enya .60 marine was my first RC boat engine, in the 70's. Al
Old 01-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Jerry Dunlap

That would be the same Charlie Pottol.

JD
Old 01-29-2009, 12:19 AM
misshydro

How good was the Velco.19?? I have one of those old relics. It has alot of compression plus has a water cool head on it..I'm not trying to high jack this thread but read that you had one and was wondering how good they where?? Maybe thinking in putting it into a round nose hydro? or somthing like that.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 AM
jetpack

Most awesome motor! Run the guts out of it! Dumas Miss Unlimited is calling! Build Baby Build!

One bottle of HEET, a dash of Castor and chop the water all day on one tank of gas.

[X(][sm=biggrin.gif][sm=biggrin.gif][sm=biggrin.gif]

old s'cool rulz[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking for performance in your boats, put the Enya in with a rope tied to it and use it as an anchor. Then put a MAC or a Nova Rossi in the mounts. You are talking ancient history with those engines and they were never any good for performance when they were current!! A sport engine is a sport engine whether it's for an airplane or modified with a cooling jacket to make it look like it belongs in a boat.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:34 PM
misshydro

The proublems with the Nova's CMB's MAC's and the other Itialian motors are the high prices and high prices in replacement parts.. The other this is Reliablty..On three races I saw some boats that dont make it to the finishline.They where the 300.00+plus motors like CMB's&MAC's..It's not realy how fast your boat is ,its if you finish the race/make it to the finishline without any break downs. This is what I was told by a few oldtimers.I'd ask whats so big about K&B's motor?? Was told there reliable and will take you to the finishline.But I'd learned one thing,never buy any used racing motor because 95%of the time there beaten to snots!Racers run to hight of nitro fuels in those motors=parts are worn out to quickly and costly parts replacements=better off buying a new motor.Plus there to touch to get them dialed in wright. Ok the real hydroplanes are run by plane&heli motors..even car motors in the other classes..So why wouldnt the smaller versions work?? Plane motors are rated with big wooden props. Just think what a plane motor would do with a smaller boat prop?[&:] Run a bigger boat prop=faster speeds..I was told they run hot so you would need to water cool them down. But its a thought thow?? I'm still sort of up in the air about it? But trying to bring up some thoughts.Maybe run that motor in a smaller boat,maybe a rigger or hydro,or V hull or a mono,like a ski daddle?
Old 01-29-2009, 01:35 PM
jetpack

There's lots of room in a Sport motor to make more speed. If you like tinkering with cleaning up and blending ports, changing intake timing, ect...you can make them as fast as marine versions without a big budget if you know what to do with them.

A good example is the K&B .21 engine. It is a glorified airplane engine, and the marine version is still winning races against purebred boat motors.

Outward appearance has nothing to do with how well an engine performs.

A KB marine engine is nothing more than a standard airplane engine where its sleeve and crank opening is slightly changed, and a slightly different head button put on it, and being purchased as the famous SS outboard that has swept the field more than a few times, or with the crankcase turned around, the ducted fan engine.

Of course, if your heart is into pure racing, then you have to more or less have to give in and buy a high dollar engine and spares, and join the ranks of spending to survive with the crowd.

For all day playing at the pond without the worry of $50 jug of fuel and blowing a $200 piston and liner set, the old "converted" clunkers will still make you smile and still have money in your pocket at the end of the day for a burger with your buddies.

For me there's more fun with older motors nobody considers anymore than having to cringe and hope your $500 exotic will last through its first session of prop testing. If your clunker quits on the lake you can actually look forward to taking it apart and changing a $12 dollar rod later that evening for enjoyment. That aspect to me lets me enjoy my boats more, and free's up my ability to have fun with them. I wouldn't let any of my boats put pressure on me, otherwise my feeling towards boating starts slipping away and becomes more of another responsibility - which the boat hobby is suppose to help take away.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Rocket-J

There were many more times that I didn't finish a race due to my own driving mistake rather than mechanical failure. Like many forms of racing, the fastest boat, car, plane does not always win the race. I think boat racing is one of the toughest driving challenges you can have. Maybe car, but I have never tried that. The depth perseption and water and wind conditions are a true challenge. Reliability from the driver and the boat wins races. Al
Old 01-30-2009, 07:30 PM
studioRS

ORIGINAL: Rocket-J

Is that the same Charlie Pottle that lived in San Jose, Ca. in 1980? Had a machine shop and built all sorts of RC hardware. Did a lot of racing in the RC Unlimited class.
Yes, the same Charlie Pottle. Actually he lived in Saratoga, CA just past the high school down on Herriman. Back then, Marine Specialties was in the garage, old skool style. This was my first job, part-time while I went to high school a walk away.

The Enya .19 really never worked very well, but introduced my nasal glands to castor oil on the perc ponds. That's when I met Gary and his son Joel.

I then somewhat smartened up and stepped up to the Veco .19 and ran that in the Manu Kai. The Veco rocked.

MoF, I wonder if there is any hull similar to that old Manu Kai available now to build?? I know JD will remember this one. (pssst, marketing gurus at Aquacraft, this would make an awesome Aquacraft RTR electric, kit or even nitro as it was SO unique and different). Proven, very, very fast and incredibly stable. I'll try and illustrate a hull from what I can remember. I'd LOVE to build or own another one.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:33 PM
studioRS

ORIGINAL: misshydro

How good was the Velco.19?? I have one of those old relics. It has alot of compression plus has a water cool head on it..I'm not trying to high jack this thread but read that you had one and was wondering how good they where?? Maybe thinking in putting it into a round nose hydro? or somthing like that.
Veco .19 was good and far better than the Enya. I'd keep it for vintage sake on your shelf. Stick with a slightly modded K&B .21 as others have posted above. For the price they work great. I think that they are still made in the USA.

ps... misshydro, please send me those photos of your Miss Navy Llumar with the .18 AQU in I'd asked for when you get a chance.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Rocket-J

ORIGINAL: studioRS

ORIGINAL: Rocket-J

Yes, the same Charlie Pottle. Actually he lived in Saratoga, CA just past the high school down on Herriman. Back then, Marine Specialties was in the garage, old skool style. This was my first job, part-time while I went to high school a walk away.
Yes he did. I sent two months in his guest house, mowed his lawn, what he had and worked on my boat in his shop. Raced at the perc ponds and appreciated Pat's hospitallity. They were good people. Al
Old 01-31-2009, 04:19 PM
misshydro

Different paint scheam studioRS..My Miss Blue Angel as the jet paint scheam on it..I'll send you some pics what you needed shortly.. I was talking to a friend about putting a header with tune pipe on the Velco motor.. He said it should make it really rock. For the pics on these old motors they only had mufflers no tune pipes. Muffler only helps with noise not with powerbands/boost.. I want to use it in a round nose hydro about 24"-28"long.. Jet the Miss Unlimited would be too big for that Velco..=it would be too slow..Mecco still makes the Velco motor...