Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger Outlaw 7.5

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Tiger Outlaw 7.5

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Big Cap Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Tiger Outlaw 7.5

Hey man, take a look at my Outlaw. I have made some nice improvements to the overall running of this machine. I went with an Octura X447-3 prop and an OPS 7.5 tuned pipe at 10.5" from the plug. This run it's still on 15% nitro with an OS A-3 plug. Inboard tabs are up just a hair and the outer tabs are level. I have just a touch of positive angle on the strut. It moves out but just a tad loose at full speed. Don't quite know what speeds I'm getting but I am beating the traffic on the road above my test pond. It's a 40mph zone but most people run 45-50 on that stretch.

The Outlaw is a great boat for the cost.

Check out the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0mUMY2Xf8c

Old 08-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Big Cap Guy

I got mine to run on a 235 but I had to mod the tongues just a bit. I ground off about 1/8th inch off the tongues and smoothed the taper up about half way to the tip. I am running 40% with an OPS 7.5 pipe without muffler. At first the 235 acted just like yours, but after losing some off the tongues it's the fastest of all the props I have tried. I have not tried a 450-3 yet having a tougher time finding one. I don't have a GPS to tell you what speeds I am getting with the modded 235 but I will tell you that I blew over on the back straight in between turn one and two. I didn't think it would "blow over" but it will. Since then, I have to run the tabs down a bit and flatten the strut angle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49761.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1260555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66605.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1260556  
Old 08-24-2009, 07:33 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Nice video still sounds like a little tune is needed (+ higher nitro!) and I would guess 40mph tops ( that boat is much closer to you than the traffic )
Old 08-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Big Cap Guy

Yes, that video is with 20% and 447-3 prop. We've made some much better improvements since then. I will get another video of the new set up. You were right, 40% O'Donnells and my modded 235 made a huge difference. This weekends race in Greeley I will get a radar gun on it so I have some hard numbers. The traffic is all I have to go by for speed comparisons, the street is about 25 yards from the edge of the pond. It's still a lame comparison but it's all I have. Honestly, I think it may be in the mid to upper 40's. I let you know what the gun says.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:34 AM
srt10

Awesome, let us know what the guns says..
These look like great boats, If I wasnt to into electric I would get one..
I am thinking of building an electric version of this hull
Old 08-25-2009, 07:24 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tt engine is a converted aircraft engine about 16,000 rpm is all you can get unless you are some kind of porting guru, If you are going to race it you should round file the engine, also clutch's have no place on a boat , you loose way to much power and rpm thru them. A cmb or a mac would tear the guts out of that hull in short order, remember you are going from less than 2hp to almost 6hp and twice the rpm.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:14 AM
TCHedOff

ORIGINAL: Big Cap Guy

Yes, that video is with 20% and 447-3 prop. We've made some much better improvements since then. I will get another video of the new set up. You were right, 40% O'Donnells and my modded 235 made a huge difference. This weekends race in Greeley I will get a radar gun on it so I have some hard numbers. The traffic is all I have to go by for speed comparisons, the street is about 25 yards from the edge of the pond. It's still a lame comparison but it's all I have. Honestly, I think it may be in the mid to upper 40's. I let you know what the gun says.

Just an FYI on using a radar gun.... most will only give an accurate speed reading when the boat is coming directly at or directly away from the gun. Every degree away from this adds inaccuracy. Rod G sent me a sheet that explained the increasing inaccuracy as you get farther and farther away. Worst way to measure is when the boat is passing across in front of the gun.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Big Cap Guy

Yes, I do agree that I am losing some speed with the clutch. I used to be an 1/8th on/off road car racing guy and there are some tricks to making an aluminum shoe'd clutch lock up but that's with cars with transmissions and gears. I have noticed that after a hard run with the Outlaw my clutch is way too hot; which leads me to believe it is slipping and not locking up. It just roasts the bearings after 5-6 outings. I have had the best luck with ceramic 5x10 bearings giving me more time before bearing changes. At any rate, I have bought my last set of bearings and when the clutch shoes finally wear out the clutch is going away. It's easy enough to go with a "motor" collet on the SG crank for direct drive.

You are also correct about a high performance motor such as a CMB or Mac twisting the stock stringers. Obviously, I would have to beef that whole set up quite a bit to accomodate such a motor. That's what winter time is for. Besides that the stock stringers in this boat are not quite the correct width for a standard 4" mount. Easy enough to change all that. I like the hull for now but to be really competitive I'll have to completely re-work the insides. I have beat the hell out of my motor and it runs like a raped ape but it's just an airplane mill converted to marine for cooling and just can't handle the loads in a performance boat. I'm kinda just getting my feet wet in the boat racing scene and it was a great way to start but I am learning quickly.

Oh, and by the way Thunder Tiger just came out with an FE version of this same boat. That might be kind of interesting too.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:38 AM
srt10

ORIGINAL: Big Cap Guy

Yes, I do agree that I am losing some speed with the clutch. I used to be an 1/8th on/off road car racing guy and there are some tricks to making an aluminum shoe'd clutch lock up but that's with cars with transmissions and gears. I have noticed that after a hard run with the Outlaw my clutch is way too hot; which leads me to believe it is slipping and not locking up. It just roasts the bearings after 5-6 outings. I have had the best luck with ceramic 5x10 bearings giving me more time before bearing changes. At any rate, I have bought my last set of bearings and when the clutch shoes finally wear out the clutch is going away. It's easy enough to go with a ''motor'' collet on the SG crank for direct drive.

You are also correct about a high performance motor such as a CMB or Mac twisting the stock stringers. Obviously, I would have to beef that whole set up quite a bit to accomodate such a motor. That's what winter time is for. Besides that the stock stringers in this boat are not quite the correct width for a standard 4'' mount. Easy enough to change all that. I like the hull for now but to be really competitive I'll have to completely re-work the insides. I have beat the hell out of my motor and it runs like a raped ape but it's just an airplane mill converted to marine for cooling and just can't handle the loads in a performance boat. I'm kinda just getting my feet wet in the boat racing scene and it was a great way to start but I am learning quickly.

Oh, and by the way Thunder Tiger just came out with an FE version of this same boat. That might be kind of interesting too.
do you have a link to this FE?
Old 08-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Here ya go: http://www.tiger.com.tw/product/5121-F.html

Name:	Db85605.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	1265134  
Old 08-29-2009, 05:59 PM
srt10

Thanks Ron!
I wonder how well that brushless will run?
Old 08-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Big Cap Guy

Well guys, my Outlaw is done for a while. My helper and I fired up the Outlaw for some practice runs before todays District 20 race early this morning and my TT motor quit very abrubtly [X(]. Went back to the table to re-fire and my starter belt just slipped, thought that was weird so I removed the glow plug and tried to spin it thinking it may have loaded up. The belt just slipped, Tried turning the crank by hand and felt a big problem. The connecting rod broke! [&o]. After further inspection (only had one other boat to race so I had plenty of time on my hands), found the lower con-rod developed a crack right at the oil journal hole in the aluminum connecting rod. It just gave it up! I was highly dissapointed. I had such awesome results during testing and was so ready for todays race. It's true, engines really run awesome right before something breaks.

So, I need to make the finals to close out my first year of official racing. Not sure what to do; should I go ahead and tear everything out and re-string to accomodate a CMB or Mac? Or should I try an OS .46 VZM and take it a little easier on my wallet? I think an OS will drop right in the stock mounts but will have to do some fancy throttle linkage stuff. I may even try the folks at Ace Hobby Distributors and explain the failure of this engine. Personally, I don't think this should have happened but I did have this boat entered in full out racing. I think it's just "one of those things", so I can understand it. I have never broken a connecting rod on any of my motors before. The one thing I can say is that what ever way we decide to go I will lose the clutch for good.

Sorry guys, nothing spectacular to report this time. [sm=71_71.gif]

Name:	Tr49929.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1266112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59740.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1266113  
Old 08-30-2009, 09:36 PM
marcelaw

Ouch!! [X(][X(] I guess maybe 40% nitro is the limit for this engine. I've run two gallons of 30% (with 20% oil) through mine without problems. What's the oil content of your 40%?

I've had good luck with calling Ace Hobby (866.322.7121). They replaced a servo for me for no charge, and replaced my lost hatch for dealer cost...so far they've exceeded my expectations.

I selfishly vote for the OS .46...would like to see how it runs with that setup .
Old 08-31-2009, 10:42 PM
Big Cap Guy

Yeah, I think maybe you are right [&o]. It's an airplane mill and that's all that's to it. It's in our competitive nature to push racing machines as hard as possible. My Outlaw ran like a raped ape on my last test session before this weekend. I am seriously considering the OS .46 VZM. I am hearing that it needs an 11cc pipe to wake it up. So with that being said (after I have just purchased a sweet 7.5cc pipe), I'll need to get the OS, header, flywheel, and tuned pipe which is upwards to $400. Now I could take it a step further and purchase a CMB .45 offered by one of my fellow racers, brand new! I'd love to take the latter but I will have to restring the entire boat to handle that kind of performance. That's more of a winter project which would obviously keep the Outlaw out of the finals in a couple weeks. Somewhat the same breaking in the OS. I am hoping to score a new con-rod, piston, sleve and wrist pin for the TT and finish out the season respectively. I did not have very good luck ACE today on the phone. They want me to send in the engine for evaluation. I'm not looking to blame them whatsoever; I was pushing this motor no doubt. They kind of treated me like I was a total newbie like I was trying to tune this thing out of the water and etc. If I was a rep, I'd send me a new con-rod, and stuff but let me know that the motor is just an airplane mill and to take it easier. What could that cost? Again, if I was a rep, I'd like to see my product out there racing with die-hards, that's good exposure for my product. Anyway, we'll see what my pm does directly with a Thunder Tiger rep.

It's somewhat dissappointing but kind of exciting at the same time. Looking forward to getting this girl wet again. I will not give up, love the hull and how this thing handles. It is a great boat but airplane mills should stay in airplanes and clutches in cars where they belong. Keep the mean stuff in boats where it belongs. I'll keep posting what happens with my Outlaw it's going to be a wild ride. I may even go FE! How 'bout that! Aye, the hatch may be a big hurdle with that big hole in it. I think I'd rather re-string for a CMB rather than go through all that.

Freakin' RTR's!! [:@] You get what you pay for. You're better off just to go big time right off the bat if you desire that kind of performance. I hate it when that money thing gets in the way. Who said, "this is just for recreation"? I'm not going to bash the Outlaw whatsoever, it is an awesome boat for the newbie or casual boater, maybe even a little more. It's not my fault the Outlaw 7.5 screams performance; 'cause it does. Just be careful with the motor or you will grenade it. In my case the Outlaw couldn't handle me, I just took it a tad over the edge. It sure was fun to see an RTR hanging with the big boys and the looks I got from them. Too bad I have finals left. Why couldn't it have blown on the last heat of the season? Phooey!

It's all good!!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:27 PM
bigcam406

sorry to hear the bad news.you had that boat running great from what i saw on your vid.unfortunately,it is a fine line you crossed and it bit you.but as they say,you never know until you try.the timing couldnt have been worse though.it is a great rtr for us hobbyists,but for racers like yourself,i guess it needs some mods for durability in the long run.good luck with it and keep us posted.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Big Cap Guy

It's all good, I am getting school'd on this whole deal quickly.

Well, we are going with a Mac .45, header, and third channel mixture control! A very generous District 20 member was kind enough to lend me his Mac and some other parts so my Outlaw can make the finals. I am way stoked to see this boat with that kind of powerhouse. I will have to go at this cautiously because the boat is an RTR and wasn't designed for this kind of performance. Also, the stringers have an inside width of 3-5/8". Most performance mounts are for 4" so I may have to re-string the hull to accomodate unless I can figure something out with the stock mount. A lot of you guys have been saying that this kind of performance will rip out the guts of this boat so some re-engineering may be required.

If you have any suggestions please feel free to let me know your thoughts. I'll post some pictures of the fabrications here shortly.

Thanks for all your support.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Ron Olson

Hang onto your shorts with a MAC in there! Watch the props as MAC's like smaller props to let them rev.
Again, your best bet would be a Speedmaster motor mount as it does have spacers to help you adjust the width but they can be a PITA to set up and drill and tap.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Big Cap Guy

Hey Ron, how ya doin? So you got the news I see. Because I don't have the mount in front of me are you saying it will fit the 3-5/8" width or are they stock for exactly 4". I am kind of confused. [:-] If my stringers were a little wider than 4" that is no big deal, that's what shims are for. I am worried about the fact that my stringers are narrower than 4".

Can you clarify?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Ron Olson

OK, I'll try to but a picture might help so here's a link: http://www.rossisales.com/motormnt.html . OK, between the isolators and the brackets that mount the the rails are washers/spacers that will adapt the mount to engines of various widths plus wider or narrower than the 4" standard. You can try the different provided washers/spacers to get the width that you need. If you can get any of them to be exactly or close to be where you need it, you can alays use washers or shims to get you there. You get more than what's shown in the photos.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Big Cap Guy

Okay, it's the rubber isolator that is adjustable if I am looking at this right.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Big Cap Guy

I meant the standoffs are of different sizes. Okay, now I get it. Geez, I am such a noob.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Ron Olson

No newb! (Sorry, I had to do that!)
The rubber isolator is one piece that's not adjustable for width, just the amount of spacers that you need ot make the mount fit between your rails. Included in the package should be a sheet of paper showing which spacers you'll need to fit various engines. You case will be slightly different as you're also compensating for narrower engine rails.

I just tried the link that I gave you above. Click on "Universal Motor Mounts".
Old 09-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Big Cap Guy

Like you said Ron, "hold on to your shorts"! Here we go with installing a Mac .45. Check out how little we are off on the stringer width. This should be pretty east to get in. I am thinking about just cutting out the stock stringer right at the new mount just slightly larger than the fore/aft width of the Speedmaster mount. Then, just take a 3/16" peice of ply to shim out the new stringer side. I am planning on gluing and bolting this together for strength and then add some glasswork to keep everything attached to the hull bottom. I just need this to hold for testing and four more heats. Personally, I think it should be fine. I will keep the pictures coming of progress.

This is going to be so cool! [sm=shades_smile.gif] Can you say "sleeper" boat? Hehe, it's all going to be under the hood too. I'll keep posting progress, I have a week and two days to get this completed and running. Just a little bit of pressure, this is what makes racing really fun.

Name:	He97473.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1267740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40472.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1267741  
Old 09-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Big Cap Guy

Oh, I forgot to mention that I will be installing a third channel mixture control on this motor too. I have to worry about getting the motor in first.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Ron Olson

See my posting on the other site before doing anything! It might just save you a lot of hassle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.