Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger Outlaw 7.5

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Tiger Outlaw 7.5

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 01:03 AM
Big Cap Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Tiger Outlaw 7.5

This is what I am thinking you had in mind?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99295.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1267858  
Old 09-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That'll work!
Old 09-05-2009, 01:35 AM
Big Cap Guy

Well guys, for those of you following this thread I was able to test my "fully modified Outlaw 7.5cc" with a Mac .45 and it was stupid fast! [X(]I mean scary fast! [X(]I had to drop the tabs and give it a touch of negative strut just to keep this thing from taking flight. After that it was somewhat manageable. I bet it gained another 16-20mph over my best slightly modified run! I am quite sure Thunder Tiger never expected this out of the Outlaw.

I will post a video, hopefully this weekend if not for sure from the races next weekend. I need to be careful not to tear anything up now and blow my chances in the finals. There is no way I can run this girl in my local test pond (the one in my first video). It is just way to small for a performance boat like this. I just thank god I didn't even try it. I tested this at a full NAMBA legal course. I needed this much track because I knew it would take some long laps in order to dial in the mixture with the third channel mixture control. All I can say is; anybody that wants an Outlaw to run fast this was the ticket! Be prepared if you do. Personnaly, I think an O.S. .46VZM would be a cheaper way to go pretty darn quick. The Mac really isn't designed for a variable throttle. It doesn't even have a low speed mixture needle because it is designed for one thing and that is wide open! It seems with the Mac if you throttle down it falls off the pipe and takes a while to get back on making it really a one speed boat....... full throttle! I think that was the most shocking part of this set up.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:14 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Oh man! get the video.. we all wana see it rip!
Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 AM
TCHedOff

Big Cap Guy,

I have a similar issue w/my rigger (and I race too); I was told by Mark Sholand (props4u) that he thought we could fix the "all or nothing issue" - takes maybe 10-15 yds to get back on pipe if I go less than @ 3/4 throttle -by slightly reducing my pitch; I've got the prop he suggested but havent had a chance to test it yet.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:29 AM
Big Cap Guy

New video of my Outlaw running nicely with the Mac .45. Today was a beautiful day for model boating and my Outlaw was running sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef9y5gFmd4Q
Old 09-30-2009, 04:50 AM
dicko

Nice save when it launched. I'd love to see a panning video of it run on a course. It looks pretty good for a TTR hull.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Big Cap Guy

Thanks man, I'll get a panning video posted. My buddy left early all bunged up with his boat. He was feeling pretty beat when he saw mine running. We had been talking on the phone and he did not know about the modifications I was doing to mine. It's been an unfreindly rivalry we had going on. Yeah, he was beating me when the Outlaw was new and stock then I blew my motor up racing. He laughed at me so I kept it quiet with him except for on the forums. Nothing like a good butt kicking. He really threw a fit when his boat was running like crap, and the Outlaw was making him look like he was going around the lake backwards, got in his car and left. I could only laugh. But then I realized I lost a camera man! My Chevy truck didn't do too bad of a job. Still, I had a blast with it. It's a good hull but that Mac is a bit strong for it. I need this motor in a Seaducer or rigger to better handle the speed. I need to experiment with props and ride attitude because when I lean this to optimum running it gets loose. I have negative in the strut and the tabs pretty wet just to keep this thing on the water. It can prop walk on occasion too. It'll carve corners very well, and if I run somewhat of a "football" shaped course keeping it in a gentle right turn it helps hold the boat on the water but as soon as you let off the wheel look out!

Thanks for the props, this has been a fun project. It's fun having a "sleeper" boat out on the lake. That all goes away when you fire it up.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:33 AM
dicko

Have you tried raising the strut up a little to settle it down?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Big Cap Guy

No I haven't. I have to machine the strut bolt slot because Thunder Tiger has this set so you can either give it negative or positive tilt adjustments around 3 degrees max either way. I would have to elongate the hole so I could raise without tilting the strut. That's a good idea and I will give it a try.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:24 AM
jonewman

I just bought an Outlaw 7.5 on eBay and am really happy with it, I have just started to tune it, but am getting 36mph on my first couple of tanks.

I saw marcelaw post that he could get 42.3mph with an Octura X450/3 prop using an OS A3 plug and 15% fuel.  Is this the best combination for the boat or has anyone managed to find a better combination?

Any other mods and tips for getting the speed into the mid 40s?  I ideally don't want to change the pipe to keep the nighbours happy.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Going upto 30% Nitro could be a big help?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Ron Olson

I've got a guy that I ran with a few times this past summer and are working through its issues right now. I don't know about going to a 450 but maybe trying something in the Octura M-445 or Zippkit's 444 area.
The tuned pipe I measured and appears to be at a good setting but maybe play with that a little. Up the nitro but wouldn't go crazy there, somewhere in the 40-45% range would be good.
The carb could use a replacement but I don't know what would fit in there. These are considered Sport engines and usually 2 places suffer on them, the carb bore being too small and the exhaust header flange needs to be checked to see if it is being blocked.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 AM
jonewman

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I've got 25% Nitro and have ordered the X450/3 prop so will let you know how that works out. I also ordered a few different temp glow plugs to try and will report back on speeds achieved.

My clutch bearings gave in so I have also ordered the coupling marcelaw recommended.

I did have some problems starting and noticed my carb was loose which explains some of the problems I have had. I will be using loctite to seal it back in.

While it was out, I noticed that the needle looks like the end is broken off. Could you compare this picture to your own Outlaw and let me know if I have a problem here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39904.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1702522  
Old 12-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Ron Olson

The needle is fine, that's the way it's supposed to be. That's typical of most nitro carbs.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:17 AM
jonewman

Thanks Ron, good to know that it's not broken.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:22 PM
clubcsl

Hello

Is anyone still running the Outlaw 7.5 ?
I bought a brand new one this year. It is a nice boat
2lt of fuel through it and I could get 61km/h (37.9 mph).