Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:49 AM
Ram Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice.

I just bought a used Aquacraft Top Speed 2 with a K&B 3.5. It got damaged in shipping to me and the motor mount is broken. The broken part is the engine pivot and maybe it's good that it was plastic. If it were aluminum the transom may have been torn out. It has what appears to be an Octura 3 blade "cleaver" type prop. I think I would prefer to get a new adjustable engine mount rather than fix the old one. Any suggestions? DuBro? It also has the "Tunnel Hull Recovery Pads" installed which I don't think are necessary if the hull is balanced correctly and the engine height set properly. Am I correct? I think the pads are there to prevent "hooking" in a turn. Should I install a "turn fin" on the right sponson like the unlimiteds? Speaking of, why do model boats run clockwise instead of counter clockwise like real race boats? That's always bothered me. I really only plan to fool around on a pond with it and scare myself silly. I may not actually race it. The seller tecommends 60% Nitro - REALLY? Ouch. I think K%B recommends 15%. I'm an aircraft guy too and I never run more than 5% nitro in my Enyas. This is my first hydro so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to tear down the K&B for inspection as it seems to have a certain "grittyness" when I turn the flywheel. It's either bearings or the flex shaft.

Thanks guys,
Bill

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46809.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1155087  
Old 03-11-2009, 07:24 AM
RKS1949

Default RE: Advice.

Bill,I can only answer one of your questions for sure(I'm not a outboard guy) The reason for running clockwise is that most (if not all) model boats turn better to the right,because of motor torque. I don't know about the "turn fin" on the tunnel hull,but my hydro wouldn't make the turns without one. Ron
Old 03-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If it's a Du-Bro mount you can buy the plastic part separately.
Leave the recoery pads on, it helps to keep the nose up in the turns.
Forget the turn fin as today's OB tunnels don't need them. Early boats or poor handling ones used them as a Band-Aid fix.
K&B .21's love the nitro, 40-50% is fine but as you go higher the needle will get touchier in hotter, more humid weather. Get used to running 40-65%. I like seeing jaws drop with I say without blinking that I run that much in my boats around the other R/Cer's that run 5-20%.
Like the other Ron said, it's because of the rotation and torque of the engines that we race clockwise but your boat should turn fine in either direction.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Rocket-J

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

60% nitro is all we ever used in our Hydros with .60 Enya's. This was back in the dark ages.
Martin.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:45 AM
roughneck793

My VS1 came with the same recovery pads attached, I Als had them my top speed 2 and they make it a lot less enrve racking when cornering. Hope your not planning on runnig that on lake huron lol
Old 03-12-2009, 01:34 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: RKS1949

Bill,I can only answer one of your questions for sure(I'm not a outboard guy) The reason for running clockwise is that most (if not all) model boats turn better to the right,because of motor torque. I don't know about the "turn fin" on the tunnel hull,but my hydro wouldn't make the turns without one. Ron
Thanks Ron. That's what I thought.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 03-12-2009, 01:39 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

If it's a Du-Bro mount you can buy the plastic part separately.
Leave the recoery pads on, it helps to keep the nose up in the turns.
Forget the turn fin as today's OB tunnels don't need them. Early boats or poor handling ones used them as a Band-Aid fix.
K&B .21's love the nitro, 40-50% is fine but as you go higher the needle will get touchier in hotter, more humid weather. Get used to running 40-65%. I like seeing jaws drop with I say without blinking that I run that much in my boats around the other R/Cer's that run 5-20%.
Like the other Ron said, it's because of the rotation and torque of the engines that we race clockwise but your boat should turn fine in either direction.

Thanks Ron. I'll check out Du-Bro. The course running direction makes sense. It's funny though, take the Unlimited class guys. All the fussing they go through to make an historically accurate model and then run in the "wrong" direction. Seems funny to me.

Thanks again.

Bill
Old 03-12-2009, 01:41 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: Rocket-J

60% nitro is all we ever used in our Hydros with .60 Enya's. This was back in the dark ages.
Martin.

In teresting comment about Enyas. Some aircraft guys run 0% nitro.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 03-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: roughneck793

My VS1 came with the same recovery pads attached, I Als had them my top speed 2 and they make it a lot less enrve racking when cornering. Hope your not planning on runnig that on lake huron lol

Lake Huron? Maybe at 5AM. I'll keep the pads and paint them to match the hull.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 03-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Ron Olson

In the 1/8 scale hydro class there are some liberties built in as far as the rules go from their full-sized counterparts. The width is one of those that gets used the most as model boats need the wider stance.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:31 PM
ChiliCheeseFries

I live in Port Huron, Have to go run some boats sometime
Old 03-19-2009, 10:19 PM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the full scale hydros props turned the same way our models do they would also turn right.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Ron Olson

ORIGINAL: ChiliCheeseFries

I live in Port Huron, Have to go run some boats sometime
I don't get over to that side of the state that much anymore but I'm trying to hit at least the race in Saginaw this year and possibly Rochester Hills. There's also the record trials come in May in Flint and should be there but not competing.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:51 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet

I just bought a used Aquacraft Top Speed 2 with a K&B 3.5. It got damaged in shipping to me and the motor mount is broken. The broken part is the engine pivot and maybe it's good that it was plastic. If it were aluminum the transom may have been torn out. It has what appears to be an Octura 3 blade "cleaver" type prop. I think I would prefer to get a new adjustable engine mount rather than fix the old one. Any suggestions? DuBro? It also has the "Tunnel Hull Recovery Pads" installed which I don't think are necessary if the hull is balanced correctly and the engine height set properly. Am I correct? I think the pads are there to prevent "hooking" in a turn. Should I install a "turn fin" on the right sponson like the unlimiteds? Speaking of, why do model boats run clockwise instead of counter clockwise like real race boats? That's always bothered me. I really only plan to fool around on a pond with it and scare myself silly. I may not actually race it. The seller tecommends 60% Nitro - REALLY? Ouch. I think K%B recommends 15%. I'm an aircraft guy too and I never run more than 5% nitro in my Enyas. This is my first hydro so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to tear down the K&B for inspection as it seems to have a certain "grittyness" when I turn the flywheel. It's either bearings or the flex shaft.

Thanks guys,
Bill

call em up
aquacraft (hobbico) is very customer friendly. they will send you what got broken. 99% of the time