Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

7.5cc O/B tunnel hull set-up questio

I've used the search feature but can't seem to find the right thread. Does anyone have a link to photos or text describing basic engine setup for a 7.5cc tunnel hull? I mean basic stuff, like the height to set the engine on the transom relative to the tunnel bottom and a starting trim angle (I understand these are unique to each hull but there must be some basic guidelines). I have such a boat bought used and the engine seems to be too high on the transom, i.e. the anti-ventilation plate is set much higher than the bottom of the tunnel.

Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 7.5cc O/B tunnel hull set-up questio

Most of the current "race" boats out will always start around the prop line at 1/8" +/- above the spoon bottoms. With that, about 1 degree neg on the thrust angle. Start with that and work the setup. Also, the CG is around 27% to 33%. A X447 prop is a good starting point.

You might want to look at this thread: 7.5 tunnel thread
    Mark Scott - just a nut for outboards
    A.D.I.D.A.S...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the thread link. I'll read it in its entirety. I'm not racing- just want to have a little fun with this boat in my pond. So, I'm a little behind on the phrases and nomenclature. Are you saying the centerline of the prop should be 1/8" above the bottom of the sponsons? I'm accustomed to full-sized boats where the anti-cavitation plate is normally even with the bottom of the hull. (These are not racing boats either)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mogrits
    Are you saying the centerline of the prop should be 1/8" above the bottom of the sponsons?
    Yepper.. It's a starting point. Might need to go up a bit.
    A.D.I.D.A.S...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay then. Instinct tells me to set this motor far too deep. I understand having it too deep will create too much drag but I'll start about 1/8" above the sponsons at the rear of the boat, with a slightly negative trim (bow-down). I'll take it from there. I did read the entire 7.5cc thread but apparently it assumes a level of knowledge I don't possess. Thanks for your help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Prop to deep - boat will "plow" thru the water. prop to high - boat will be "flighty".. The full size racing tunnels also run the prop half submerged. This allows the motor to rev up..

Good luck..
    A.D.I.D.A.S...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After taking sometime off I'm returning to the sport. Most of my experience has been with K&B's. I still have a 3.5 and a 7.5 both stock with SS sharpened and balanced props. Engines stock but with polished lower units. I always ran them on Deep Vee's.....

I decided to try something differant. I ordered a Rossi outboard with Tuned pipe from Hyperformance and a TX45 hull. I'm sure I will haev some Questions after I get the custom paint work done.

If someone can hook me up with a link to better inform me on where to mount the engine that would be awesome. Any info on desired Slip % How to achieve max RPM and potential out of this setup?!

I do not believe there is a local group of racers here. Back in the day there was but I don't think they exsist anymore! Does anyone knows of a group near Albany NY ? If not it will just be a recreational play boat like the rest.

Thanks

Kris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The club near Albany might be a NAMBA club. Check www.namba.com , if not try www.impba.net .
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team