Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

AQUACRAFT'S NEW MISS VEGAS U-18 "The Deuce" Thread

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

AQUACRAFT'S NEW MISS VEGAS U-18 "The Deuce" Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 11:34 AM
G4Bama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AQUACRAFT'S NEW MISS VEGAS U-18

I have been sold. I have been kicking around the brushless vs nitro boat idea, and I have decided to go with the nitro version. It will be easier to run nitro at the lake plus I dont have to have my retirement fund tied up in lipo's. This boat seems to be a stable platform to work with. I guess my first question is : Handling, good - bad ? and second (what else) Speed out of the box? I'm sure these topics have already been discussed, but how about a refreasher course.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:36 PM
iowapiper_rcp

ORIGINAL: ntrain42

Can anybody provide links to shops that carry the parts I need? Having serious difficulties getting em all sourced. It would be appreciated............
Towerhobbies.com has every replacement part for your boat that you should need. Except if your looking for the octura collet assembly. I personally use the SV27 collet.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:58 PM
madmax93

Ok so I had a MV and it died and floated away (unprepared). I have a MVD that I bought a year ago
but have no ran it yet for fear of loosing it. I have a tennis ball on a rod ready and I have a NQD
(you know one of those cheap boats) for a retrieval boat. I am having second thoughts of using the
NQD. So is there a relatively cheap boat that I could get as a retrieval boat? Has to be remote controlled.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:33 PM
res3567

How did your MV float away?
ORIGINAL: madmax93

Ok so I had a MV and it died and floated away (unprepared). I have a MVD that I bought a year ago
but have no ran it yet for fear of loosing it. I have a tennis ball on a rod ready and I have a NQD
(you know one of those cheap boats) for a retrieval boat. I am having second thoughts of using the
NQD. So is there a relatively cheap boat that I could get as a retrieval boat? Has to be remote controlled.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:13 PM
ntrain42

I assume using it on a river.............lol, I have those same fears myself, lol, all rivers around my area.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:19 PM
amax

Sounds like Playin on a big river with No Pick Up Boat,, That's Gotta Suck[]
The Fishing pole and tennis ball work real good ,,,IF your good at casting It, in a moving current you should also put some sort of Hooks on the Bow Tips of the sponsons for the line to Hook on and pull the boat Forward it will Survive much better and be much easier to Catch and Reel In.
There are a number of electric boats that will work for retrieval, but for a "Dependable" one with enough power to do the job your gonna spend as much as you did for your nitro boat.
I would Practice casting that pole and stay close to the bank or find a john boat to use, or look for a nice pond... Don't Swim For It!!
Old 08-27-2010, 07:33 PM
madmax93

what happened was, I was running it in a pond, it stalled and I had no way of
retrieving it and believe me I searched for different options at the time, to no aval.
The waves blew it the wrong way which was away from me. So now I'm going to try it
again, but I will be ready this time.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:30 PM
amax

Sounds like a Big Pond,,[:-] Practice with the Pole\Tennis ball and see how far you can cast it. try to stay in that range until it's broke in good and less likley to stall.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:24 AM
res3567

The first thing is to find the right pond/small lake. Then look at the wind and the currents. Yesterday was perfect for me since we had a cool front blow through here earlier in the week and the wind and the water blew back towards me. Trust me....I have had my fair share of stalls, but I make sure I can get the boat if it dies in the water and I will not ever swim for it. I have done the boat retreival thing as well while I was racing my two airboats with my brother. This can be tricky as sometimes it works good, and sometimes it will not. The biggist thing you have to watch for is how the retrieval boat grabs the stalled boat, and wil the retrieval boat be able to operate normally while rescuing your Vegas. Sometimes the retrieval boat may actually get stuck on top of the stalled boat (RUDDER AND PROP OUT OF THE WATER)and now you got TWO STUCK!I recenty bought a bigger fishing pole with 20lb line to hook upa tennis ball. Line streghth is also important. I think the MVD manual reccomendsat least 12lbs.I also put large 3 pronged fishinghooks in the ball, and it works well. The hooks willusuallygrabmy rudder and I SLOWLY reel her back in. The hooks may or may not be a good idea for you asthey could scratch the body and or cut the water pickup line. If you leave the wing on, that would be my target spot to grab.

If you must have arc retreival boat, this one may work for you. It is not that expensive and uses twin motors topush AND steer the boat. I believe its called vector push. That way there is no rudder that could get hung up while bringing the boat back in.

Check it:

http://www.amazon.com/Admiral-Catama.../dp/B002I0RYYK

This is the best way IMHO, but requires you build the "CATCH" from PVCpipe or some sort of tubing. The boat operates normally.

Check it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcU5g...eature=related

Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 AM
TCHedOff

Just an FYI: You can get braided (think thats what its called - just ask the guys at the tackle shop - they'll know what you mean) fishing line instead of standard monofilament line. Cost is more, but if you compare say 8lb test braided to 8lb test monofilament, you'll find it is much thinner and more flexible. You cans cast noticably farther w/the stuff. This would be especially valuable if you choose to go w/something as heavy as 20lb test (that stuff is THICK!!!!! - it doesnt like to unspool during a cast w/a standard reel). Personally I use 8lb test.... Im not where the boat can get stuck and I'll have to fight it out of some weeds/reeds etc)... just open water.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:46 PM
res3567

Yea....yesterday my boat stalled....the drive dog failed......and I whipped out the fishing gear....and you are right....the boat was about 300 ft away from me....and trying to cast my tennis ball....well it would only get within about 2 feet from the boat. I got it back....I just had to walk to the other side of my lake.......thanks for the info.....Im gone have to check that out!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:05 PM
ntrain42

I want to get a retrieval boat for my MVD(still yet to put it in water, and afraid to do so until I have a retrieval boat), what is recommended? Aquacraft makes a tugboat. Is this what I want? Id prefer to have a RTR solution that works well easily accomplishing the task. The "tugboat" sounds like a good idea since my 5 yr. old son loves RC and is actually pretty good at controlling them(He has a 1/10th 2WD Traxxas slash), so I slow moving retrival boat would be great for him. Any suggestions would be great.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:26 PM
res3567

Look at the second link in post #234 in this thread.
ORIGINAL: ntrain42

I want to get a retrieval boat for my MVD(still yet to put it in water, and afraid to do so until I have a retrieval boat), what is recommended? Aquacraft makes a tugboat. Is this what I want? Id prefer to have a RTR solution that works well easily accomplishing the task. The "tugboat" sounds like a good idea since my 5 yr. old son loves RC and is actually pretty good at controlling them(He has a 1/10th 2WD Traxxas slash), so I slow moving retrival boat would be great for him. Any suggestions would be great.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:53 AM
res3567

This was posted in the general thread so I will post here also. Superflyboy's Duece rinning 535 prop, Grimfin and 50% nitro. I helped him with the advice of Amax, toyotatruckin, and Ron Olsen. We are still fairly new at high revving nitros....we both started out with airboats. Took a while to get it dialed in as all of my needle settings for my SV and my Miss Vegas had to change because of the cooler weather here in TX. Setting the strut was also a challange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-aXC3iW7Gs

Old 11-14-2010, 02:16 PM
toyotatruckin

sounds like the engine is in decent tune but still need to work on hull set-up a little for one that turn fin was just about tossing a taller roostertail than the prop was, the grim fin while being a decent fin needs to have the bottom sharpened and being a curved fin at the bottom is a little more difficult to tune than a straight fin, have you tried to run the stock turn fin(while being curved its thinner and smaller and works well) if the fin is tucked under to much it will hold the sponson down to tight pushed out to far it will lift in the turns, the straight fins which I have always preferred are a little more forgiving to adjustments
Old 11-14-2010, 03:36 PM
res3567

I would have never known that.....thanks! Gone have to check that out......
Old 02-02-2011, 01:14 AM
Starrett_Eye

A couple of months ago i bought a mvd hull and hardware, i finally got an engine, a .32 dynamite, and got it mounted yesterday, will post more pics as i get it put together

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75493.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1557251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59221.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1557252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13829.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1557253  
Old 02-02-2011, 03:01 PM
amax

Well good luck with that,,,, Imo your money would have been better spent on a Modified .18 or a Hot .21.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:39 PM
tonywayne

I have wobble in my shaft where it comes throught the strut. its not alot maybe a mm or less, but defenatly noticable. the wobble is there regardless if the shaft is in all the way in or out the recomended 3/16". is this normal. I do have a new shaft and teflon tube on the way from tower but afraid ill need a new strut.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:59 PM
toyotatruckin

Shouldnt be much play in there it used to be a problem with the first generation missvegas but was corrected with the second gen and deuce, possibly worn out bushing or worn stub wait till you get your new parts and check it out
Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 PM
tonywayne

ORIGINAL: toyotatruckin

Shouldnt be much play in there it used to be a problem with the first generation missvegas but was corrected with the second gen and deuce, possibly worn out bushing or worn stub wait till you get your new parts and check it out
I did not get a bushing 10$! Just got shaft and stuffing. I figured there has to be a way to make a bushing from bras or copper tubing? just trying to get out of buying the strut. Anyone making there own shaft bushings? thanks
Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 AM
TCHedOff

I have an CMDI strut on my .12 rigger, and it has a bushing made of brass tube. It also features cross-wise drilled holes to hold the grease in the bushing. So if you make one you might want to incorporate this.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:14 AM
toyotatruckin

tony I make bushings shafts etc, BUT if its the first gen strut your better off buying a new strut- Its been a really long time now BUT if Im remembering correctly the stuffing tube went into the end of the strut and the strut basically was the bushing/ride surface for the stub-shaft and when it was worn it was a throw away and replace deal, the second gen and deuce are what I would call a standard type rc boat strut, stuffing tube goes into it and it uses a bushing for the stub to ride on which is replaceable, also if Im remembering correctly when you "upgrade" the strut from a first gen to a second gen or any other strut you need to replace the stuffing tube as the first gen strut is long and goes further back up under the hull and the old stuffing tube will be to short.. IF your strut is NOT aluminum than its a first gen..
Old 02-17-2011, 03:22 PM
tonywayne

ORIGINAL: toyotatruckin

tony I make bushings shafts etc, BUT if its the first gen strut your better off buying a new strut- Its been a really long time now BUT if Im remembering correctly the stuffing tube went into the end of the strut and the strut basically was the bushing/ride surface for the stub-shaft and when it was worn it was a throw away and replace deal, the second gen and deuce are what I would call a standard type rc boat strut, stuffing tube goes into it and it uses a bushing for the stub to ride on which is replaceable, also if Im remembering correctly when you ''upgrade'' the strut from a first gen to a second gen or any other strut you need to replace the stuffing tube as the first gen strut is long and goes further back up under the hull and the old stuffing tube will be to short.. IF your strut is NOT aluminum than its a first gen..
My strut is alum and i have a bushing in there so i gues its a second gen. I will proly end up buying a bushing and if that dosnt work get new strut. When i take the bushing out of the strut and slide it up on the shaft stub it is a little loose. By the looks of the shaft it dosnt look like it was maintained well anyway so its proly worn out. thanks for the help. Tony
Old 02-17-2011, 10:02 PM
tonywayne

Here is my project. it will have a white hatch and blue hull. hull is sh1t green right now. starting on a blueprint next.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68393.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1565775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66196.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1565776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42269.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1565777  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.