Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

AQUACRAFT'S NEW MISS VEGAS U-18 "The Deuce" Thread

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

AQUACRAFT'S NEW MISS VEGAS U-18 "The Deuce" Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:40 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AQUACRAFT'S NEW MISS VEGAS U-18

Back to the carb problem,,,,,Allmost every carb problem is due to contamination, air leaks or fuel delivery, I do agree that some carbs are harder to tune but the fluctuations in rpm will almost always be a fuel delivery problem after all a nitro carb is simply an air valve with a dump tube. The more air that passes the dump tube the more fuel is introduced into the mix and is metered buy the hs needle, a very simple mechanical device, perry has been making plastic carbs for many years and work very well, that many duces having the same exact problem should really have the fuel tanks or pressure line checked out or modified before a carb is junked..........
Old 07-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Sean Bowf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The folks that are having problems, are they still running the stock tank?? If so, did they do something (rubber bands, etc) to help keep from losing pressure past the lid of the tank??

Sean
Old 07-23-2009, 08:37 PM
racer504
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Sean Bowf

The folks that are having problems, are they still running the stock tank?? If so, did they do something (rubber bands, etc) to help keep from losing pressure past the lid of the tank??

Sean
None of the guys in our club are. Most of them failed before we could find out if they leaked. I've tried both 6 and 8 oz. Hayes tanks. I think the 6 oz. worked a little better.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:50 PM
barmonkey

I fiddled with the stock tank again today. Previously, I put a small nut and bolt through the hole in the front of the lid...then I slipped an O-ring (1 1/2"?) under the front of the tank and screwed it back down. When the O-ring is slipped over the bolt, it at least kept fuel from spraying everywhere. It is now leaking fuel from the fuel outlet on the tank. The boat still runs really fast for a while and then slows down..then it goes fast again....

I also tried to use a 2 oz. hopper tank, but with the nature of my temporary/"field mod" mounting I couldn't tell if it made any difference. I ended up using my Dubro tank from my old Vegas. The situation is still there...although it is not near as bad.

I have tried different needle settings, different plugs, different strut settings and put about 2/3 gallon of fuel through it today...
Old 07-24-2009, 07:51 AM
f16man

Looking at the carb and parts for the carb on towers web I see that the carb uses 2 o rings one on the top like all others and one around the bottom of the neck set into a groove,,,,this looks like a nice setup but I am wondering if the lower o ring may have damage upon assembly because the clamping bolt may be sharp on the edge where the o ring has to pass thru..... just a thought ....... also I am wondering about the new tuned pipe set up like the pressure fitting placement ,header coupler ect. it doesn't take much pressure for fuel flow as long as it is consistant hmmmmmm Maybe I have to pick one up and see whats up with this little duce he he he....
Old 07-24-2009, 08:20 AM
G.W.
My Feedback: (22)

On one of our ST18 the bottem o-ring had a slice in it out of the box, but on mine I replaced them and still have problems. Mine's for sale....Very low time....12 tanks!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:19 AM
pfireproof

Oh great,,,,,,,,I just got the deuce and this is my first boat. Nothing like having a negative experience right off the bat.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:13 PM
f16man

One real good thing about aquacraft is they will stand behind their products for sure, I wish I had a duce to find out whats up with them as I realy enjoy a challenge.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:52 PM
kilr95ss

My MVD came in today . Aligned the stuffing tube and greased up the cable, set strut and checked all the bolts to make sure they are tight. Forgot I used my only stick battery to wire my heli starter. Gonna have to go to the LHS to pick up another. Hope to wet the hull tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62095.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	1242871  
Old 07-24-2009, 08:25 PM
TrEsPaSS
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: pfireproof

Oh great,,,,,,,,I just got the deuce and this is my first boat. Nothing like having a negative experience right off the bat.
fireproof, MVD is a fine craft for a beginner and when set up properly it can hang with the pros. I have owned the craft for 3 months now, the only issues I have had were due to operator error. After minimal tweaking, we were able to get her up to 39mph, not bad for a RTR. I recently attended a local IMPBA event for the first time and was hooked, these guys were the real thing, smoking fast gas boats... incredible. Best yet, I told them that I was a noob, and told them about my MVD. Not ONE of them had a negative comment about the MVD. Several of them were very impressed by the performance of the boat once I brought it out (yes, I paid the IMPBA fee to run on the lake). Enjoy her...
Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 AM
pfireproof

Well, I hope all goes well. I have the boat ready to go. I got the grim racer turn fin on, 50% nitro, OD-9 glow plugs, greased the shaft. I have the grip racer prop which I have not put on yet. Do I need to balance it and polish it up? What does the phrase "bag prop" mean??
Even though years ago I use to swim a mile in a half at a time every week, that was many many years ago and many pound less so I did order a cheap elec. boat as a rescue boat.
I'm trying to get a friend of mine to get a boat so we can step up the fun by racing.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Pilot_Guy

ORIGINAL: pfireproof

Well, I hope all goes well. I have the boat ready to go. I got the grim racer turn fin on, 50% nitro, OD-9 glow plugs, greased the shaft. I have the grip racer prop which I have not put on yet. Do I need to balance it and polish it up? What does the phrase ''bag prop'' mean??
Even though years ago I use to swim a mile in a half at a time every week, that was many many years ago and many pound less so I did order a cheap elec. boat as a rescue boat.
I'm trying to get a friend of mine to get a boat so we can step up the fun by racing.

Never swim out to a dead boat(you could drowned) From what I have read here a bag prop is a prop that is put on the boat directly from the bag it comes in..with no modifications at all.

I'm running mine 100% stock, because I'm not a racer(yet) and I have no idea or clue how this thing is going to run so I didn't want to get to much money in it or get it beyond my ability . I'm running 30% O-Donnel fuel with a hot plug and setting the needle exactly as per instruction manual.. I'll fire it up and take it from there.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:15 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: TrEsPaSS

Enjoyed the Deuce so much, I just purchased a second one (for my wife...hehe). Experienced a pretty bad blow over while tweaking the hydro out on choppy water, skipped her into the rocks. Actually planning on throwing in a Dynamite .32 in the wrecked Vegas just to see what she will do. Currently working on mounts, shaft, and strut to accomodate the .32. If it works out, I will go for the OS.

Got that .32 mounted yet?
I've thought about an Axial .28 Spec S1
Old 07-26-2009, 04:35 PM
bmguidry

Problems with the MVD starter. Let me start out i'm new to RC Boats well RC anything and i purchased my MVD on 7/24 this past friday. I read the entire users manual and saturday morning i tried to start it for the first time and i tried for a little while and nothing So i went back to the hobby shop where i purchased it and me and one of the workers finally got it running. This morning which is now sunday i go to run it and it started fine was idling pretty high put it in the water to see if it would stay running it died after about 10 ft so i got it started again and this time it ran about 3 50ft laps and was bogging down in the turns so i decided i was gonna adjust it and when i went to start it the starter spins but doesn't spin the motor it just spins any tips or should i try contacting aquacraft thanks for any help.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: bmguidry

Problems with the MVD starter. Let me start out i'm new to RC Boats well RC anything and i purchased my MVD on 7/24 this past friday. I read the entire users manual and saturday morning i tried to start it for the first time and i tried for a little while and nothing So i went back to the hobby shop where i purchased it and me and one of the workers finally got it running. This morning which is now sunday i go to run it and it started fine was idling pretty high put it in the water to see if it would stay running it died after about 10 ft so i got it started again and this time it ran about 3 50ft laps and was bogging down in the turns so i decided i was gonna adjust it and when i went to start it the starter spins but doesn't spin the motor it just spins any tips or should i try contacting aquacraft thanks for any help.
This is one of the problems we had with our Deuce too. Our problem was the engine side of starter (not the one way bearing). We called the warrantee phone number, and they sent out a new starter (I think they call it a backplate). We have not tried it again yet, but it is installed and appears to work when turning it over by hand. The wand starter is a neat idea, but if the starter assembly on the engine won't hold up, it is going to be more of a frustration than a "neat idea".

Sean
Old 07-26-2009, 06:28 PM
G.W.

Well I solved my problem with strange engine operation. The throttle stop screw was not set properly (can't believe I didn't catch it). Under vibration when the engine was running, the carb would close (over wide open) due to slop in the linkage and drop rpm's. No, I did not run the engine outside the water at full throttle. But now it stays constant throughout the run. You guys might want to check the barrel.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:52 PM
not happy

After running my Deuce the first time the flex cable had unraveled some on the end.I have been looking for a cable for a month with no results.I talked to Tower this morning and my backordered flex cable has been pushed out another month.What good is a boat without replacement parts.I have spent hours on the internet looking and no one hasthis cable in stock.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:49 PM
TrEsPaSS
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: srt10

ORIGINAL: TrEsPaSS

Enjoyed the Deuce so much, I just purchased a second one (for my wife...hehe). Experienced a pretty bad blow over while tweaking the hydro out on choppy water, skipped her into the rocks. Actually planning on throwing in a Dynamite .32 in the wrecked Vegas just to see what she will do. Currently working on mounts, shaft, and strut to accomodate the .32. If it works out, I will go for the OS.

Got that .32 mounted yet?
I've thought about an Axial .28 Spec S1
Just got started yesterday. Dynamite .32, 3/16 shaft, Octura M445 prop. Currently fabricating engine mounts.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 AM
G.W.

Buy either the Octura or hughey shaft. Much better shaft and instock at offshoreelectrics.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:40 AM
bmguidry

just to let u guys know i contacted the warranty people and i have to send the boat to them to get it fixed since i'm not comfortable with taking the engine apart to replace the pieces that arn't working in the starter, Ill let you guys know how it comes out when I get the boat back from them
Old 07-28-2009, 09:55 AM
racer504

Hey GW, Do you have the part # for the shaft from OSE? I pm'd them and Steven told me they do not carry an exact replacement for the Deuce shaft. Also, is your boat still running ok since you worked on the carb?
Mike
Old 07-28-2009, 09:42 PM
kilr95ss

^ And while on the subject of drive line, what aftermarket flex collets are being used?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:08 AM
G.W.

He racer504,
This is what I got:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...oct-oc150L-24c
It has a 3/16 prop shaft instead of the 1/8 in the vegas, but it will fit into the stock strut.
I only ran it a couple of times since adjusting the screw, but by then my new OS showed up and I kind of left it in the box while I install the hotrod engine. It's now for sale if anyone is interested!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 AM
racer504

ORIGINAL: G.W.

He racer504,
This is what I got:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...oct-oc150L-24c
It has a 3/16 prop shaft instead of the 1/8 in the vegas, but it will fit into the stock strut.
I only ran it a couple of times since adjusting the screw, but by then my new OS showed up and I kind of left it in the box while I install the hotrod engine. It's now for sale if anyone is interested!
Thanks GW, I,ve got a couple of those coming to me too. I plan to turn the propshaft to 1/8 and rethread them as I want to continue to run the 36/55 Grim prop(or Y535). I have a friend who sawpped his old Vegas over to an OS engine and without any other mods it's as fast or faster than the fasteset Deuce. Another thing we did was swap out the rudder for [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/CNC-Aluminum-rudder-95mm-for-electric-nitro-rc-boat_W0QQitemZ140303932115QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio _Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item20aac41ad3&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262#ht_500wt_956]this one.[/link] It only requires minor mods to get it on and turns better plus it's a kickup instaed of the Aquacraft "breakoff" rudder.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:30 PM
G.W.

I've got an octura coupler to replace the pathetic soft metal coupler that comes with the vegas. The shaft material is pretty hard, so use a good die for threading. Has anyone ever reamed out the 1/8 props to 3/16? I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Here is the rudder I bought:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...l-502b20-black
If the bracket turns out to be too long I'll shorten, but I'll give it a shot first. I agree that the aqua rudders are very brittle. I've been through two of them until now.
My OS won't just bolt up, unfortunatly (21vz-m) Got a good deal on one that I couldn't pass up!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.