Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

AQUACRAFT'S NEW MISS VEGAS U-18 "The Deuce" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

AQUACRAFT'S NEW MISS VEGAS U-18 "The Deuce" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:11 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AQUACRAFT'S NEW MISS VEGAS U-18

RCU review of Miss Vegas Deuce by Matt Gunn

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1128[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1128][/link]

Old 08-08-2009, 03:11 PM
pfireproof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm brand new to boats so I don't know what to expect. I took the deuce out today for the first time and here are a few things that concern me. The engine was cranked up but the boat was not going very fast, then as if something got a hold of it, it took off and ran pretty fast. I notice that each time I took the boat out of the water, there was a fair amount of water in the boat that I had to take the plug out and drain it,,,,,,,is this normal? The last time I ran it I put the boat in with pretty good forward motion and though the engine was cranking out the boat wasn't and then as if a clutch grabad in the boat took off and I lapped it about 8-9 laps going pretty fast. Could my drive be slipping? And again, what is with the water in the boat? If the boat isn't at full speed, it takes in water maybe?
Oh yeah, I have the prop down about 7/8 from the bottom of the boat and I'm running a metal grim racer prop.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:57 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

does the motor spin over when you take the glow plug out?
Old 08-08-2009, 05:50 PM
pfireproof

Yes
Old 08-08-2009, 07:12 PM
G.W.
My Feedback: (22)

The prop is cavitating. Don't just hold wide open, even when launching. launch the boat with a good forward toss at about 1/4 throttle and then slowly increase power.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:38 PM
kilr95ss

Water Stream

This is the best I could do by myself trying to run the boat in a certain spot using a remote shutter button:

Old 08-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: bmguidry

Just recieved my boat back from hobby services getting the starter replaced and i can't seem to get the idle to go down i can see while in neutral that the carburetor is open to much and even with the throttle trim it's not closed enough and i tried adjusting the idle screw and it's not closing it enough any suggestions?
Two things to try...
1 - The arm on the carburetor is normally a tension fit. That is, it can move a little in either direction if it is pushed hard enough. They may have moved the arm a little when they did whatever they did.

It is a shame, you would think they would adjust the throttle linkage back to where it should be. Did you send them the transmitter with it?? If not, it was probable not possible. If you did...well...you know...

2 - You may need to open your radio box, and take the servo arm off the servo, and move it over one tooth.

Sean
Old 08-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: kilr95ss

Water Stream

This is the best I could do by myself trying to run the boat in a certain spot using a remote shutter button:
Can you post a few pics of the back of your boat?? You using the stock rudder?? Looks like something is dragging...either the flat part of the rudder blade, or something on the mount. Taking for granted the line is good, since you said you checked that.

Are you at full speed in those pics?? The whole boat, to include the transom, runs wetter when not at full speed. If it goes away at full speed, I would not worry about it. I ask because the boat looks a little wet in the pics (hull sitting deeper in the water than it would at full speed)..but hard to tell from a pic.

Sean
Old 08-09-2009, 01:08 AM
srt10

ORIGINAL: pfireproof

Yes

Possible hydro lock..
your motor sounds flooded?
Old 08-09-2009, 06:12 AM
pfireproof

The prop is cavitating. Don't just hold wide open, even when launching. launch the boat with a good forward toss at about 1/4 throttle and then slowly increase power.
Thanks so much,,,,makes perfect sense. This place is great.
Now, how about the water in the boat,,,,must be normal?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:32 AM
kilr95ss

Sean, boat is still running very rich. Should finish breaking it in today, maybe this is the cause of the stream.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88303.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	1252792  
Old 08-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Sean Bowf

Sean, boat is still running very rich. Should finish breaking it in today, maybe this is the cause of the stream.

Looks like there is a gap between the top of your rudder blade, and the bottom of the barrel of the mount. Loosen the screws on it a little, and see if you can raise the blade up to close that gap. I am betting the water is hitting the flat part of the leading edge of the blade causing what you are seeing. I am betting at full speed it will be pretty much gone or totally non-existant though.

Sean

PS, looks like you did a good job smoothing and sharpening your rudder...BUT...the trailing edge should have sharp corners to it. Might need to work on the back of it to bring those sharp corners back. Just my 2 cents...
Old 08-09-2009, 10:56 AM
kilr95ss

Thanks! I'll also square up the back of the rudder.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:11 PM
kilr95ss

Well, managed to crack the plastic rudder control horn, will the aluminum control horn from the SV27 fit the MVD rudder horn shaft?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMWB6&P=X
Old 08-09-2009, 12:14 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: Sean Bowf

[IMG][/IMG]
Looks like there is a gap between the top of your rudder blade, and the bottom of the barrel of the mount. Loosen the screws on it a little, and see if you can raise the blade up to close that gap. I am betting the water is hitting the flat part of the leading edge of the blade causing what you are seeing. I am betting at full speed it will be pretty much gone or totally non-existant though.

Sean

PS, looks like you did a good job smoothing and sharpening your rudder...BUT...the trailing edge should have sharp corners to it. Might need to work on the back of it to bring those sharp corners back. Just my 2 cents...

I agree get that puppy up to full speed and watch for a full roost!
Big roost is part of the fun for me with these hydros
Old 08-09-2009, 12:20 PM
srt10

Well, managed to crack the plastic rudder control horn, will the aluminum control horn from the SV27 fit the MVD rudder horn shaft?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMWB6&P=X

It's a bit different setup but it could work..
Old 08-09-2009, 01:52 PM
G.W.
My Feedback: (22)

The control arm will probably work. The stock plastic ones are junk. When I was out running my boat at our float fly, mine broke and I replaced it with a nylon arm from the water rudder on an airplane. It's the same basic principal, same size shaft, too. Unfortunately, I can't find anything like it on tower to show you. The water in the boat sounds normal to me. I plugged the drain hole and drilled one on the opposite side and left it open. Never an excess of water in my boat.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:27 PM
bmguidry

Since i have had so many problems with the starter what do u guys think about switching to a belt starter?
Old 08-09-2009, 07:41 PM
kilr95ss

^ If you already have a cone starter, all you need is the belt, no problem.

Im finally headed in the right direction with mine. I think the water stream issue was do to my prop setting too low. Have the prop set at 3/4" with just a touch of negative angle. Think it needs to come up a little more, not a big rooster tail down the straights and the engine seems to be under a heavy load. Hull loosens up and engine speed pics up in the turns but once its straight, engine seems to bog.

Well, after going through the read again, I saw Grims original set up, strut set a 3/4" and positive angle, give this a try tomorrow.

Ready for next weekend so I can go to the Atlanta race and pic up some home brew 30% and 2 gallons of 100% so I can start mixing my own
Old 08-09-2009, 08:26 PM
racer504
My Feedback: (2)

^ If you already have a cone starter, all you need is the belt, no problem.

Im finally headed in the right direction with mine. I think the water stream issue was do to my prop setting too low. Have the prop set at 3/4'' with just a touch of negative angle. Think it needs to come up a little more, not a big rooster tail down the straights and the engine seems to be under a heavy load. Hull loosens up and engine speed pics up in the turns but once its straight, engine seems to bog.

Well, after going through the read again, I saw Grims original set up, strut set a 3/4'' and positive angle, give this a try tomorrow.

Ready for next weekend so I can go to the Atlanta race and pic up some home brew 30% and 2 gallons of 100% so I can start mixing my own
Sounds like it's a little on the rich side.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:28 PM
kilr95ss

Think so too, looked at the coil through a loope and it's still shiny and in really good shape.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:54 PM
bmguidry

I don't have a cone starter but about a week ago when i sent the boat in for warranty repair i had to pay $60 in shipping to get it to them and it went out after 2 starts. So it would be about the same price if not cheaper to get what i would need to make it belt start. And does anyone know a site or a place where i can see how to set up the belt starter?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:57 PM
kilr95ss

All you need is a cheap airplane engine cone starter and the starter belt. The cone starters already have a groove in them for belt starts and the MVD flywheel also has a groove in it for a starter belt.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJC35&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSMG4&P=SM
Old 08-09-2009, 09:11 PM
bmguidry

so the belt just stays around the flywheel while the boat is running is what i'm confused about?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:19 PM
kilr95ss

Yes, it just gets tucked out of the way. Heres a video of belt starting a mono, you should hold the engine down while pulling up on the starter so you dont rip the engine out of the mounts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2BY5YxKwfc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.