Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

AQUACRAFT'S NEW MISS VEGAS U-18 "The Deuce" Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

AQUACRAFT'S NEW MISS VEGAS U-18 "The Deuce" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:37 PM
ka350kaptain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AQUACRAFT'S NEW MISS VEGAS U-18 "The Deuce" Thread

Just thought I would start this one off.

Check it out!

http://towerhobbies.com/products/aquacraft/aqub34.html
Old 05-14-2009, 08:08 PM
tropheus28

Default RE: AQUACRAFT'S NEW MISS VEGAS U-18 "The Deuce" Thread

Can't wait to get it. End of May is the release date and I am anxious to throw it up against my heavily modded Vegas. I don't care for the graphics but no big deal. After a week on my bench, you won't recognize the boat. I have this great vision in my head of a wingless Vegas painted the Color of a Shark...Like a Shinny Deep Grey with Silver Flake. I am going to paint a giant shark mouth at the front with the sponsons as Fins....Gonna look bad.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 PM
hpidriver94

Default RE: AQUACRAFT'S NEW MISS VEGAS U-18 "The Deuce" Thread

kind of like this sorry this isnt my best photoshop job
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21328.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	1198399  
Old 05-17-2009, 08:45 AM
tropheus28

Default RE: AQUACRAFT'S NEW MISS VEGAS U-18

Well, thanks for the visual but not quite where I'm going...But cool
Old 06-05-2009, 07:43 PM
bryston
My Feedback: (2)

did anyone get it yet ? its in stock now
Old 06-05-2009, 08:45 PM
ka350kaptain

We have two or three running in our club right now. They are sooooo quiet - sounds like an electric! They are still getting broken in, but we should get some good side by side comparisons, since they will be running with the previous version in our stock RTR races (very informal).
Old 06-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Sean Bowf

Looks like same hardware mostly...same turn fin, rudder, strut. At least they look the same. Main things Inotice looking at it is the sponson mod on the hull, the new engine and pipe, and the radio box that has no antenna. Other than that, it looks pretty much like the early version of the MV.

Sean
Old 06-06-2009, 07:21 AM
tropheus28

Vibration dampening engine mounts, different starting system, and 2.4 Tactic radio...I don't have one yet, but I like the changes.

I don't buy anything unless its on sale so I am going to wait until Tower offers some discounts over the winter.  I just can't justify the price on the Deuce.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: tropheus28

Vibration dampening engine mounts, different starting system, and 2.4 Tactic radio...I don't have one yet, but I like the changes.

I don't buy anything unless its on sale so I am going to wait until Tower offers some discounts over the winter. I just can't justify the price on the Deuce.
Tower had $60 off for club members, if you buy an item for $300 or more...so $270 and free shipping is what Ipaid for it.

Even at $330...it is a pretty good price for a complete boat. If you start racing competetively, it is VERY easy to spend more than that on just an engine.

Sean
Old 06-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Nitromarc3
My Feedback: (30)

Hello I got my new miss vegas duces on friday looks good so I have not had time to break it in yet but its comes packaged well mine is yellow. will keep you posted, I also have the miss vegas v1, and its still very fast cant wait for side by side, as my of my friends have v1 vegas.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 AM
TCHedOff

Our club had a race day yesterday and one member has the new Deuce and ran it in our Sport 20 class against 2 mod Vegas's. The Duece won easily (and one of the Vegas owners swore he is going to buy a Duece this week and sell his Vegas ).

Besides being faster and quieter, it is worth mentioning that yesterday was a POOR day for racing - hi winds (like 15-20MPH sustained and gusting higher) with 2" or better waves. The Vegas had all they could do to stay rightside up in these conditions at full speed (several times I thought we were gonna see a great crash) but the Deuce had no problems with these conditions. Great boat for racing!

Old 06-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Jerry Dunlap

A first time out Vegas Deuce, after three or four break-in runs, ran 37.9 on a GPS using 30% Traxxas car fuel and a Y-535.

JD
Old 06-15-2009, 09:48 AM
barmonkey

Just wondering what changes were made to the hull besides the sponsons...
Old 06-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Jerry Dunlap

ORIGINAL: barmonkey

Just wondering what changes were made to the hull besides the sponsons...
The sponsons are the only change made to the hull in the Deuce.

JD

Old 06-15-2009, 10:23 AM
barmonkey

Thanks Jerry...I thought that they may have modified the underside of the hull aft of the sponsons as you and others have done with the old Vegas.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:03 AM
detox

I would like to see pictures of the new sponsons. I wonder what their new AOA is?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:39 AM
barmonkey

I have had my Vegas Deuce for over a week now, hoping to get to it this weekend. I am looking for some set-up suggestions...

What's the best prop that anyone has tested so far? I have the Grim Racer prop and am thinking about the Octura Y535...

With the Sponson modifications to the new hull, I assume the Strut no longer needs to all the way up (if not more). I recall a couple of posts somewhere that the strut should be 1 1/8 to 1 1/16 inch from the bottom of the hull (I assume this measurement is taken from the bottom of the hull to the center of the strut).

I plan on using the same 33% Nitro that I used in my old Vegas...I don't feel that the others running 50% were any faster...

Also, I am thinking about using the Black Anodized Turn Fin from the UL-1...the dimensions given on Tower's web-site show it as being slightly smaller than the Vegas fin....Is this True?
Will it bolt up without modification?
Old 07-02-2009, 07:29 PM
racer504
My Feedback: (2)

I'm using a GR 36/55 stock out of the box. I have the strut set at 3/4" measured from the bottom of the hull to the bottom of the strut. You can't get that dimension without cutting out the slot in the strut. Before you ever start the motor make sure the shaft and stuffing tube are aligned. Also consider replacing the collett with something other than what it comes with as soon as you can. If your shaft is as tight as some are, try this. Loosen the collet nut about 2-3 turns out. Put the 14mm wrench on the collett up next to the flywheel. Grab the prop and pull hard while turning the shaft counter-clockwise. It won't come out easy, but you'll probably get it out in one piece. Check your radio box frequently for water seepage. Do not overtighten the screws in the lid. If you crank them down as hard as you can you will probably end up with a broken box. It's also a good idea(IMO) to pull the box out and put it back down with some RTV on the wood box mounts. I lalso fold up a paper towel and place it inside the box to stop any water that gets in from sloshing around and getting in to the electronics. I also double balloon the batterys and receiver (In everything).

Now...When someone figures out how to get a consistent needle setting on this thing, LET ME KNOW!!!
Old 07-05-2009, 10:12 PM
TrEsPaSS
My Feedback: (3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ-obZoMzXI First hard run after breaking in the .18. Only mods are sharpened / balanced 36/55 grim prop and grim fin. GPS results were 39.8mph with minimal mods. Wing since removed.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Jerry Dunlap

ORIGINAL: TrEsPaSS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ-obZoMzXI First hard run after breaking in the .18. Only mods are sharpened / balanced 36/55 grim prop and grim fin. GPS results were 39.8mph with minimal mods. Wing since removed.

Jeez, that speed in that small pond is really good. Good thing the Deuce has a muffled exhaust with all those apartments around the pond.

JD
Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 PM
barmonkey

Finally got to run the Deuce today...only about 4 tanks through it. Using the grim racer prop...started out at 3/4 inch strut depth and the aft end was sunk way down in the water, so I moved it down to 1 1/16 inches and it can get a little squirrely on mildly choppy water at that setting.

Unfortunately, I had to cut my time short due to a broken glow plug starter...the kind with the nifty meter on top...it seems the threads on the cap are very thin plastic. Actually it broke from just being in my tool box. I fiddled with this thing until part of it sprung off into the gravel never to be found!

I tried a different glow plug...Mccoy MC-9 (cold), and it didn't want to stay running. I suppose I need to invest in some hot and medium plugs, along with a new glow starter....
Old 07-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Grimracer

I have a very good setup on my Vegas Deuce right now.. its a easy one too..

Strut set at 3/4 depth
Strut angle flat (boat set on table top)
Grimracer 36X55 bag prop
Grimracer aluminum color turn fin (3deg neg angle)
stock everything else.. tank and all..

40.2mph lap after lap after lap.. that on 50% ODO fuel and OD-9 plug.

If you like.. not a bad idea.. install 3oz of weight to the front of the boat.. this will help the drivers that don’t like to drive a looser boat. Not a bad idea in race water eather.

Grim
Old 07-08-2009, 02:28 PM
barmonkey

Grim, Thanks for the set-up info! Definitely going to try those glow plugs...ordered the turn fin also (no brainer) so I don't have to tear down my original Vegas. I still need to get hold of some 50% nitro...

Still kind of curious if the Black UL-1 fin fits the Vegas or not....aesthetic reasons only...
Old 07-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Pilot_Guy

I think about 90% sure I will get this boat. Seems like it is a good one to get from what I have read. I was 50/50 on getting a SuperVee27 or a Vegas. After seeing the new video on Tower for the Deuce, I think I'll just get one..the 2.4 ghz and extra quiet muffler.... Looks nice too and fast. I have the perfect place to run it at camp with glass smooth water and two bouys out there that are like 100 feet apart. Almost like someone set it up for rc boat racing.. Just founf it last week at my dad's new camp.

I copied Grim's set-up and will do that to mine exactly.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:58 PM
barmonkey

Ran 4 or 5 more tanks through the Deuce today. It runs moderately fast for a while, and then gets really fast for about a half lap, and then runs moderately fast...over and over.
I am not sure if this is due to it not being broke in yet or the fuel tank is losing pressure...causing decreased fuel flow?

I raised the strut t 3/4 inch to the center of the strut...will work on moving it to 3/4 inch to bottom of the strut soon. The water and wind conditions today were variable while I had it out , so I couldn't tell much difference anyway.

I did manage to get it air born a few times BTW...that weight up front looks to be a necessity!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.