Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

formula fastech nitro

Old 05-26-2009, 08:53 AM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: formula fastech nitro

one thing the article omitted was the top speed of the boat.anyone have any ideas? is it quicker than the brushless version?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:33 PM
clodbuster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't really know, I don't have a gps. Its pretty quick looking to me though.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:04 PM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

not too many vids on this boat,lots on the brushless version though
Old 06-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Chriscraft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hello fastech owner,
I have had alittle trouble with mine when I first started to play with her. I found mine to have an engine alignment problem that tore my flex shaft in half. Another new flex shaft and checking shaft alignment,
she's running good now. Just keep the shaft greased and no problems. I did not like the plastic prop that came with the boat, so I changed to Pro Boat's composite prop PRB0150. No more breakage problems.
Now I have switched to a brass prop from Aquacraft. It is their Grimracer line. Prop size and pitch is 36x55.
Part no. AQUB9700.
I have had the brushless version and find that, from my comparison, this boatis just as fast as the electric boat. I might try to put the .18 Dynamite in her for alittle more speed.
Remember to adjust thosetrim tabs if the boat wants to "dance" on the turn fins.
I am a Pro Boat fan and I will continue to purchase their line of boats.Lubing the shaft and checking alignment before you go to the pond is "key" for good running.
P. S. Re-enforce the front areaaround where the cable comes through the bottom of the hull with some epoxy glue. The vibrations of the motor and shaft have andcan cause this area to crack. The area I am refering to is the hump that ismade into the hull where the shaft tube comes through the bottom of the hull.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:34 PM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thx for the info.im purchasing one soon,so i'll keep your tips handy.i was also thinking of purchasing the .18 engine as well,perfect swap for that boat.combine that engine with a octura x435 prop,should be fun.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:40 PM
jb707

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey all,
New to the sight and new to the RC world.  That said, I just got the fastech nitro last weekend and put it in the water for the first time today.  WOW, this things a blast.  Did the 1/3 open throttle for break in and It still seems as it's gonna be pretty quick.  The engine and controls are a bit tricky and I don't think I fully understand what a normal idle should be.  I stalled the boat a couple times (had a paddle boat handy to retreive it), but I guess it's gonna take a little getting used to.  I will definately be scouting the sight for operating tips and after reading this forum I'm going to get the upgraded prop.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:58 AM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum.this is the place for lots of info.i have browsed the threads here and learned quite a bit.good luck with the boat and keep us up to date on how your mods work out for you.i cant wait to get mine.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:04 AM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well,after finding out that the fastech nitro has been discontinued as of yesterday (see my other thread),and since my lhs deals with horizon exclusively,i went out on a search yesterday to grab one.every call i made to dealers in the GTA(greater toronto area)knew about the discontinuation and they said their phones were ringing off the hook about inquiries about the product. well, i finally grabbed one in Toronto.when i got it home and opened it,i was less than impressed with the build quality of the boat .theres a blemish on the side of it,looks like a bubble,when i removed the hatch,there was fiberglass that was chipped off at the rear near the magnets.stickers were poorly applied,so upclose it doesnt look as good as from afar.anyways,i havnt had a chance to run it yet,but i'll keep you fellow nitro owners updated.thx again for the info provided in these forums.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:22 PM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

this morning after work,i took my fastech out for her maiden voyage.unfortunately it was a short one.about a minute into the run,the prop broke.i didnt have any spare props,and my lhs didnt place my order in until today,as he orders only once a month from horizon.anyways,on a positive note,i was really impressed with how easy it started,as it fired up immediately after i triggered the tiger drive.i wanted to break it in this morning as it was a beautiful day,no wind and a small chop on Lake Ontario,which doesnt happen too often.when it did run, i was impressed with how responsive the boat was,steering and throttle.it is going to take some getting used to.im going to order a grimracer prop(AQUB9700) from another hobby shop and hopefullyi'll be able to break it in properlyand start fine tuning it,to see what it is capable of. until next time........
Old 07-02-2009, 10:41 PM
aas1973

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just picked up one of these after reading all the good things people have had to say (and because I got it so cheap). New to this stuff.Lots to learn.Was hoping someone might tell me what the 2 seemingly extra pieces are that were bagged in the box.1 seems to be some sort of wave washer and 1 a plastic tube.I have a feeling they may have been packed in with the remote but in my haste to examine everything I may not be rememberingthat correctly.Looking forward to giving this thing a run soon.Thanks in advance.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:11 AM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i wondered that myself,im thinking the brass washer could be a head shim,and as far as the plastic tube,dont have a clue.keep us up to date on how yours works out for you.im still waiting for a prop i ordered 2 weeks ago.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:41 PM
aas1973

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Upon further inspection I am fairly certain that the parts I was referencing are an exhaust coupler and head shim.  Thanks.  If I find out that I am wrong I will let you know.  I don't intend to start running it with the extra shim, unless anyone who has one tells me that it runs better with it in.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:36 PM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

after waiting 2 weeks for my props to arrive,i dropped by my lhs today and they arrived.i figured that i'd use the proboat "composite "props to break the boat in while i wait for a grimracer prop i ordered that hasnt arrived yet either.so tonite,we took it down to the lake,put a new prop on it and fired it up.unfortunately,it didnt want to run. it stalled about a dozen times,and after running it out of the water for about 5 mins to get some heat into it,i finally launched it. it stalled in the water quite a few times as well. finally,after about a half hour of starting and stalling,i opened up the throttle wide open to clean the carb out,seems to be a blockage somewhere that caused it to load up.im still in the process of breaking it in,so i knew i was taking a chance,and it worked. at idle it sounded alot crisper,and the responsiveness was there again. i then proceeded to launch it and it worked well for about 2 mins. then the prop broke.after replacing the prop,i was about to launch the boat again,then the prop broke before it even hit the water.after changing the prop for a third time,i finally got to enjoy the boat for a whole tankful. i was impressed with the handling and responsiveness of the throttle and steering.i opened it up a couple times to see what it would do,as the curiosity was killing me,and i was quite impressed.needless to say,after all the effort to get it to keep running and the cheap "composite" props breaking,it was well worth it. i had a blast.cany wait for the new prop to arrive to start fine tuning this boat.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:24 AM
jb707

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got tired of paddling out to get my boat during break in every time it stalled so I had to by a tow boat. I ordered the zigzag racer 3 that has the bumper on the front (made to play water soccer) to push the fastech back to shore. Broken props, glow plugs.....this boats a pain in the butt. I think I like the zigzag racer better. At least it's more reliable.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:21 PM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

it may be a pain now,but once its broken in and set up properly it'll be worth the effort.im having a blast with mine despite these early shortcomings.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:06 PM
jb707

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

you're right. The boat is a blast.... it was just hard to go out and get it every time I stalled it.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:05 PM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

at least you had a boat...i went in fully clothed...lol....gf's son has an electric that he brought down and we were going to use it as a rescue boat....batteries died.......it was one of those days.....all good though....gf gotta major laugh out of it,she said i looked like godzilla coming out of tokyo harbour.....
Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 PM
aas1973

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So I finally had the time to get this thing going.What a blast.A PITAwith all of the stalling and it seems to go through a composite prop per tank of fuel.Metal prop (and more composites) on order now. I am using the manual recommended Blue Thunder 20%.From what I am reading this may not be the best.What are you guys running.
PSItoo went into the water today.My son steered it into a bank behind some old trees.Managed to get close, thought Icould bend over to pick it up-ended up grasping at some thorny bushes trying to keep from going in-to no avail.NOTFUN! That was the end of that.Otherwise, great fun!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:14 PM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lol,i feel your pain.our summer up here has just been an extended spring with temps ranging between 65-70,so the water temp in Lake Ontario is still approx. 60 degrees.not nice at all.as far as fuel,im running traxxas top fuel 20%.works good.im waiting for my grimracer prop to arrive,hopefully this week.with all the mishaps with the props,i still havnt broken in the motor properly yet.before i run it again,im going to lube the flexshaft just to be on the safeside.its bad enough when the props break,let alone a flexshaft.hopefully,it wont be too hard to do.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:43 PM
aas1973

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I hear it's been pretty cold up there.  My family has been complaining about the weather alot lately.  I'm from Toronto originally.  Lived in Kinston for a couple of years before moving down here.
Couldn't really be any easier to grease the flexshaft.  Did it before putting my boat in the water the first time.  Never done it before but it only took a couple of minutes.  As all of the notes say, just make sure you leave a tiny gap when you put it back.
I have to say, the way these props keep breaking, I'm almost afraid to put it back in the water before I get a spare but what am I to do?

Old 07-09-2009, 05:14 AM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i ordered 4 props,now have 2 left,broke 2 in 20 mins last time out.i went on horizon hobby website last night,and surprise,they're out of stock.geez,i wonder why? i guess people were buying them in bulk because of their reputation for quality,lol.glad to know lubing the flexshaft is a breeze because thats the last thing i want to break.cant seem to find replacements on the proboat website,and my holidays are coming soon and i want to run the boat instead of wait for parts.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:59 AM
f16man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why must you insist on running junk plastic props,,,,,,, move on to metal ones and save yourself the torment!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:27 AM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the reason why we're running the plastic props is because its so hard to get metal ones up here.the hobbyshops up here basically have the bare minimum to get you going,but for parts and accessories for whatever you are running(boat,plane,car),they have to be specially ordered from the manufacturer,which is a pain.i found my grimracer prop at a hobby place in Edmonton Alberta,they only had 1 in stock.thats after phoning around most of the day trying to find one.as far as ordering online and using a credit card,too many horror stories ive heard pertaining to costs and extra charges.i just sent a money order and its being shipped right now,hopefully i'll get it b4 the weekend.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:30 AM
TCHedOff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just a couple FYI's.... props that are ordered from major distributors & hobby shops have to be sharpened & balanced.... in this case by you.

As I dont have a balancer, and havent wanted to get into this end yet, I order mine already sharpened & balanced from a well known, reputable guy named Mark Sholund at www.props4u.com. The cost for small props like a y535 are $40 & $5 shipping. There are others also who sell s/b props like dasboater (Chris...? ) You can also find good deals on used s/b props for as little as $10-20.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 AM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

from what ive read and been told,grimracer props are very close to being balanced right out of the box compared to others. i dont have acess to a balancer,so its going to have to do.

Search this Thread