Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

formula fastech nitro

Old 07-09-2009, 12:18 PM
TCHedOff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: formula fastech nitro

Bigcam.... do as you wish (of course ).....

I just brought this up as it seems your a new boater, and often times new boaters are their own worst enemies, and end up unknowingly creating problems for themselves, then they get frustrated, blame the boat etc, and quit RC boating.

An even a "slighly" out of balance prop is going to cause you problems over the long run.... the strut will wear out faster, and the extra vibration is going to cause things to shake loose (head bolts on the engine. engine mount bolts etc).

You'll likely get away w/things for awhile....
Old 07-09-2009, 12:40 PM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well, if thats the case,and im not doubting you at all,then im going to have to find someone in my vicinity that can balance and sharpen props then.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Chriscraft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys,
I have been reading about your experiences with the formula fastech nitro and would like to suggest an idea that I found out from the
techs at Pro Boat about the stalling problem. You need to change your glo plug to a "hot" plug. Try a McCoy 8 or an O.S. 8, because the water going through the head takes heat away from the head and a "medium" plug will work, but you get stalling problems.
About the idle speed, after breaking her in, I use the throttle adjustment on the radio to set my idle. That way, when I know about when the tank is almost out, I can bring her into shore, push the throttle trigger away from me and the engine shuts off when she is close to shore. I did not bother with the idle set screw for this because I crashed a boat into a dock because I could not shut down
to stop.
When you start her up, take about 30 seconds to set your idle via the radio, then start adjusting your high speed needle for high speed.
If she is sluggish on take off, adjust your low end needle.
Just a little advice, watch your smoke trail from the pipe. If you don't see a vapor trail from the pipe, open the high speed needle
to allow gas to get to the venturi or carberator. The gas has a lot to do with how the engine is cooled. It is not just water alone.
A bluish haze should be seen as the boat passes. This may be seen on a day with out much wind or check your pipe after running.
Have fun with this boat. It is a blast and I am enjoying mine.
P.S. Try Aquacraft for brass props to fit your boat. Also to prevent plastic props from possible breakage, check the tighness of the prop nut. If it is too tight, it will break for no reason or it might be cracked from over-tightening.
[8D]
Old 07-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Chriscraft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know about the balancing aspect, but the brass props I have been getting and using have not had to be balanced.
Boats run fine and no problems.
I admit that there have been one I had to trim because of excess metal on the edge of the blade, but over-all the props have been
balanced.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:51 PM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thx for your input chris.when i first ran mine out of the box,i checked the needle settings and used the radio trim for idle as well. i also used the trigger to stall it when bringing it in,but unfortunately it caused the motor to hydraulic lock.i guess there was just enough fuel in the line to cause this,and after flushing out the cylinder ,threw a new glow plug on it,and it fired back up no problem.i was very careful with the "composite" props,as i looked them over b4 installing them,and didnt overtighten them.they're still junk,but i just wanted to use them to break my engine while im waiting for my grimracer prop i ordered.from what ive been told and have read,these props are as close to being balanced as cast.unfortunately,there is no one in my area that balances props,these were factors in my decision to purchase the grimracer brand over the others.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Chriscraft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi Big,
On tne subject of prop balancing, you can purchase a prop balancer for airplane props.
It works just as well, if you think that a prop might be out of balance.
[8D]
Old 07-15-2009, 10:20 PM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thx for the tip,i'll look into it this weekend,as my prop arrived this morning.first thing i noticed was how heavy it was.hope the flex cable is up to the task.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:13 PM
jb707

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi all,

I could use a bit of advice if anyone if willing. When I fire up the boat it idle's fine and when I open up the throttle it is pretty responsive and screams (on shore). However, when I put the boat in the water I can not get the throttle to open up and it is very sluggish. Is the engine not warming up in the water? There seems to be a decent amount of water inside the boat when I pull it out of the water. Is this contributing to the sluggish motor and where is the water coming in? Thanks in advance for the help...
JB
Old 07-16-2009, 10:23 PM
jb707

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One more thing. It did seem to be sluggish right after I put the first composite prop on it. Could it be the prop? I order the metal one but did not get it yet.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:38 AM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi jb,i had the same problem with mine the first couple of times i used it.you have to remember that the carb is set to be on the rich side from the factory for break in,as you can damage the new engine if its too lean.when i encountered this problem,i leaned out my high speed needle one eighth of a turn,and it helped alot.i think the combination of rich carb settings and a tight new engine when placed under load(in the water) causes the lazy responsiveness.im just wondering how many tankfuls have you ran through your boat,as im wondering how much its broken in.as far as water in the boat,it usually comes through the flexcable tube,thats why they recommend you grease it regularly,as it also provides a seal to keep water out as well as lubing the flexshaft. hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:49 AM
jb707

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have gone through about 3 tanks of gas. I turned the needle about 1/8 yesterday, but it didn't do that much. I'm going to put it back in today to see what is going on. Thanks for the input.
JB
Old 07-17-2009, 10:36 AM
lomcevac540T

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds more like it's too lean to me. If the response is crisp out of the water, then it is probably lean in the water.
If the comp. prop is a little bigger or stiffer than the previous one, then I would think lean for sure. Are you getting lots of smoke?
Old 07-17-2009, 03:05 PM
jb707

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not much smoke. I'll try turning the high speed needle up to make it run richer. Thanks, I will let you know.
JB
Old 07-17-2009, 03:25 PM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i just finished taking the flexshaft out to lube it.what a nightmare.setscrews were a ***** to take out,finally got them out,and when i went to run the boat this afternoon,i started the boat,then i noticed the collette loosened off and the prop stopped spinning.i have since retightened the collette,and about to run it.anyone ever have this problem with the collette loosening off,even though it was tightened properly?
Old 07-18-2009, 07:59 AM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

after 2 attempts to run the boat yesterday,ive come to the conclusion that i may have a problem with the collet.i have to disassemble the driveline again,as now the prop shaft can be turned by hand and the flex cable is stationary.i also noticed ever since the boat was new that the flywheel spins freely and it doesnt seemed to be engaged properly to the crank.when i had to remove the collet from the cable,i had to lock the engine using another 10mm wrench on the nut attached to the flywheel.anyone else experience similar problems?
Old 07-18-2009, 01:35 PM
aas1973

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Seems like you may just have to tighten the flywheel?  Haven't looked but I don't imagine that there is a set screw.  Likely just kept on with pressure from further down?
Sorry I'm not much help.  I suppose I have been fortunate with mine (although I did have a few things shake loose that were a bit of a pain to get back on).
Old 07-18-2009, 02:15 PM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thx for the response. i went to my lhs this morning and asked about the flywheel problem and he told me to check out a blowup diagram for the motor to see if there is a cone shaped bushing that holds the flywheel to the crank. i checked and there wasnt one so i guess im going have to check the tightness of the nut.it seemed tight yesterday when i was removing the collet to remove the flexcable.im going to have to investigate further.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:23 AM
torqmonster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys, I just stumbled onto this thread and thought I would put in my .02 . My buddy and I both have one of these boats, they are great. I have only had a few issues so far the pressure nipple broke out from the header and the ez start slips. The extra shim that comes with the boat was the fix for the easy start. And as far as the header I just took it off and welded the hole shut and now I dont run pressure to the tank. We both are running Traxxas 20% and my high speed needle is set at 2 3/4 out. I am running a y535 prop and my buddy has a x435 from octura. We will be out tomorrow and I will see if I can get some video. These boats hall ass for what the are.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:06 PM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

when they run properly,they are a blast.i was impressed with mine right out of the box.have to do some repairs to try out my new grimracer prop.ive heard good things about the performance of the boat with this prop.im wondering how you are running the boat with no pressure going to the tank.i thought you needed that positive pressure for fuel flow.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:08 PM
aas1973

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That damn pressure nipple shook loose on me twice and it is (or was) a PITA to get back on (although this time I did it rather quickly and easily).  Used some RTV sealant a nylon washer and some lock tight on it so I am hopeful that it will stay this time.  All excited to get it back and running properly.  Decided to change to prop trim to get up on plane quicker (since I normally run in the neighborhood pond which is pretty much glass calm) and saw that one of the prop struts was cracked right at the joint.  Wonder if that has anything to do with the way it was turning well in one direction, not so quick in the other.  I wonder if it was that way when I got it or if it had anything to do with the time I hopped the boat over a turtle (broke the prop that time).  Either way, ordered a new set so we'll see what happens.  Perhaps I'll have my grim racer prop balanced by then too.  This thing has been fun but damn it takes up time keeping/getting it running, LOL.
Picked up a pair of plastic Y535s from the LHS, curious to see how they compare to the PRB1050s.  Also have a couple of PRB1051s coming to try out.  I just have a feeling that if I have to balance the metal one as often as I have to change the plastics on this thing I may not have the time to bother and may be better off just using these disposable things.
Did you end up able to tighten the flywheel down any better BC?

Old 07-19-2009, 11:28 PM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nope,not yet.had a doubleheader of ball today,got busy doing other things as well.i work nights so my time to play is kind of limited(at work right now lol).was a nice day up here today,and we play ball at the lake,it was pretty calm,and i was thinking how nice it would be running the boat this afternoon.im going to work on it during the week,because the weather is supposed to get alot warmer and less windy all week.hopefully,it will be a successful surgery.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:41 PM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hopefully those plastic octura props last longer than the proboats.you will probably see a difference in how the boat performs,espescially at top end.but,theres nothing better than a metal prop,so hopefully you will get it soon,then you can set the boat up according to that prop.stay away from the turtles though...lol
Old 07-20-2009, 08:29 AM
torqmonster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We went out yesterday but I didnt even run the Fastech I was too busy running My Rio. I love that boat.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:33 PM
catman_grrrrr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Recently got a FasTech nitro well worth the money(under $150)with a half gallon Blue Thunder Nitro.It wsa a lot better experience on my first run reading some of these threads before I took it out.The only issue was the coolet slipping which was a easy enough fix.This little boat ran great,been through about 8 tanks so far with no problems except for the prop which is to be expected not being metal and also debris in the water on Lake of the Ozarks.Did order more fromHobby-Sports.com and received them today.Will get a metal later.My question is.....which prop is better,the x435 or the y535?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:15 PM
bigcam406

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

welcome to the thread catman.from what ive read,the x435 would be better,and in last months Radio Control Car Review,they did a review on the Fastech Nitro,where they upgraded the prop to a x435,and it increased the top end substantially.what did you do about the collet slipping,as im experiencing a problem in this area.

Search this Thread