Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Nitro Mono Hull Set-Up Question

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Nitro Mono Hull Set-Up Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:26 PM
phil6019
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Mono Hull Set-Up Question

My boat is a 47 inch Twincraft with a picco .67 I just got this boat back in the water after if sat for 6 years. I am wondering why all the spacers have been placed between the rudder and mounting plate to move the rudder over to the right so far ? If this was used as a race boat would this make the boat turn sharper to the right ? I am planning on just running the boat around the lake and having fun with it. Now for my question, can I remove all the spacers ( moving the rudder closer to center ) and straighten out the steering linkage and get better overall performance ? Thanks Phil
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64475.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1210275  
Old 06-01-2009, 07:06 PM
avenge

Default RE: Nitro Mono Hull Set-Up Question

If you remove spacers and place your rudder there your steering will not be as good as where it is right now. The reason for keeping it there is so the rudder has clean water to bite into. Also depending on the prop ur using it could hit your rudder. Hope that helps..
Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hoo boy, somebody did some cobbling there!

My advice it to start again from scratch if you have to. The Twincraft can be a competitive boat if you wanted to race it but can be a blast for just messing around with also.

You can lose a lot of weight off the transom and make life easier by tossing all of that out the window and going with an offset strut like a Speedmaster for instance. You'll only need a 2" offset to the right of the strut to give it plenty of room to swing the rudder. That bent steering linkage has got to go also and that will kill the steering especially at speed.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:39 AM
Sean Bowf

Ithink your rudder belongs right about where it is. You just have a heck of a Jerry rig to get it there. If you can find someone that has your hull, they might have instructions for it, or at least they can measure their hull and rudder and tell you where their rudder is located at. Then you can buy the right rudder and bracket for your boat.

Sean