Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Tower .46 cutting out

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Tower .46 cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Darkseacret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower .46 cutting out

Well Ive tried again to get my new bwb wet, but It keeps cutting out when the glow stick is removed I switched the stock plug to a os # 8 that seems to have a good glow but after about 10 min of starting ,tuning it still wouldnt stay running but for a few moments at throttle. If I leave the stick on it runs great she leans out nice and has good throttle responce. But no stick it dies Ive tried low end rich/lean and high rich/ lean . ?
Old 06-25-2009, 04:09 PM
fastkat

Default RE: Tower .46 cutting out

Question: Are you pressurizing the fuel tank? Not sure which engine you have, but some require the fuel tank to be pressurized from the muffler.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Dan S

Normally if you can only keep it running with the glow driver on it means that its a bad plug.

is it possible that the new plug is bad?
yes it can happen.

another thing is what is your Nitro%?

sometimes it can be the plug has the wrong heat range for the fuel.
if it was a pressure problem the engine would be doing the same thing whether the driver is on or off.

Dan.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Sean Bowf

Normally if you can only keep it running with a glow plug igniter attached, you are running too rich... Lean it up about three quarters of a turn and try it again.

Sean
Old 06-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Dan S

Sean is right,
that's another sign.

Dan.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Darkseacret

Ill try another plug . Im using 10 % cool power, pressure line from muffler to tank yes. I called tower they said try a hotter plug. Shes pretty lean now . Ill try to leaning a little more but its close now ,much more lean and it bogs
Old 06-26-2009, 12:04 AM
srw1960

What brand of engine is it?? and I absolutley agree with Dan and sean sounds like its way to rich....I have alittle chaos off road truggy with a brand new pico.o6 in it so it is definatly running rich and it does the same thing if I take the glow ignitor off imediatly after the engine starts it dies ..changed plugs twice ( and its uses those expensive turbo plugs) with no change so what I decided to try since I really didnt want to lean out a brand new engine was to start it up and let it run for a few secinds maybee 30 or 40 seconds not to long popped the ignitor off and whadda ya know it stayed lit and ran like all git out...guess the plugc just needed a little bit to get good and hot and before anybody says anything they were hot plugs not medium or cool ..now after a few tanks and a little tuning it lights right up and stays that way..and shouldnt you be using like 20 percent at least???or did the manufacturer specify that percent for break in???also make sure theres enough oil in the fuel for marine engines alot of good people in here are suggesting that marine engines require more oil in the fuel im not sure about that but more oil cant hurt..

Hope Ive helped yall have funnn and take care
Old 06-26-2009, 06:36 AM
Darkseacret

its a tower bb abc airplane engine mounted on a swamp buggy w/ a 10 x 6 prop. 10 % nitro is ok for this engine.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:43 PM
srw1960

Okkkk Now we can get somewhere...You can do the pinch test for youre plane engine safely....get it started let run for a bit to warm up just a bit then open it up while running wide open pinch the fuel line closed the engine should within 1 to 2 seconds max it should speed up and imediatly start to die..if it keeps running more than 2 seconds it is absolutley running to rich..set the HS needle to where when you pinch the fuel line closed the engine speeds up and begins to die within 2 seconds..that means the engine is still running rich enough to not burn up but not so lean itll load up and die....now for the LS needle you mentioned you adjusted it also...after you get the HS set close the throttle down and see what it does if it starts to die again pinch the fuel line and see if it speeds up or dies completley....if it speeds up youre to rich close the needle in some until you get a good smooth idle...if it dies instantly its to lean and you need to back the needle out until you get that nice smooth idle...

try these tests and if you still cant get it tell us what it did do when you pinched the line and we will get our colective heads together and get this figured out somebody around here has the answer thats for sure....Hope I have helped..

Have funnnn and take care