Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:36 PM
lookingforhelp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!

I need help. I'm looking to purchase an RC Nitro Boat as a gift for someone who has been into RC Nitro trucks.

I've been getting conflicting information on which is better.... a Deep Vee or a Catamaran? Thoughts?

Basically... I think I've narrowed it down to these choices:

1. Pro Boat Thundercat 31
2. Aquacraft Super Vee 27 Nitro
3. Aqua Craft Miss Vegas Deuce

Could someone recommend which boat to buy? Or if you know of another good boat, it would be much appreciated!

The person I'm buying for is a beginner, and would like something easy to use, fun, and especially FAST!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 11-20-2009, 09:02 PM
mike walker

Default RE: HELP!

I love the miss vegas and the new deuce has alot of the bugs worked out. Hope that helped
Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 PM
lookingforhelp

You would say Vegas Deuce over Thundercat, right? I was hearing that the .32 engine on the Thundercat was a better bet. But I wasn't sure.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:21 PM
mike walker

I think if you wait here for awhile youll hear from some other vegas fans. If you really want to go faaaaaast and stay in a small boat have him build a J.A.E .12 and he can use a truck motor

Old 11-20-2009, 09:49 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

What is the surface the boat will be used in? The hydro will require small waves while the deep-v will handle waves without issues. Might help steer you in the right direction. The Cat's will like both types of water!
Old 11-20-2009, 09:53 PM
rcguy1411

i own the thundercat 31 there have been a few isues with them leaky fuel tanks for starters the tiger drive starting system have also been an isue for some when i recived mine i had to deal with a leaking fuel tank was an easy fix removed a little flash off the fuel barb had to replace the one way bearing in the starter this summer these have been the only isues i have encountered with about seven to ten gallons of fuel through the engine and its still going strong as far as cat vs deep v that usuallly comes down to personal preference i own bolth v and cats and they all preform well if you check the sites for what you are looking for you will hear praise and hatred for each with a little work they will all be a good and enjoyable
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70524.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1317757  
Old 11-20-2009, 09:55 PM
lookingforhelp

We live close to the bay and a lake. So he would probably use the boat in both. I've been really confused, going back and forth between catamaran or deep vee. Every time I think I make a final choice, I change my mind! I've called around to a few hobby shops, and I got two completely different answers.

I appreciate the responses!

Old 11-21-2009, 12:01 AM
rcguy1411

i live on one of the great lakes verry seldom do i get flat water bolth style boats will run equally well in moderate chop rember these boats are only 30 inches long if you like deep v s get one the sv if you like off shore cat then get the tc 31 if you cant decide get bolth
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89826.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1317804  
Old 11-21-2009, 05:53 AM
jon070

Get one of these and it will never matter what the water is like. This boat is as difficult as a weed wacker.

http://9x4br.64n2f.servertrust.com/P...uctCode=SuperG
Old 11-21-2009, 06:12 AM
advanced builder

pretty pricey for a first boat, Jon070 I think he said a gift
Old 11-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Actually that's the boat we sort of recemmend on the gas forums. It's the cheapest reliable production hull out there. Get that Gator and there will be no dissapointments.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:42 AM
lookingforhelp

Although that gas powered boat looks perfect for him, I'm afraid it's a little out of my price range.  

I was looking to spend in the 350 range or less.  That's why I mentioned the boats above.

Again, if anyone could recommend one of those 3, that would be alot of help!

Old 11-21-2009, 12:03 PM
lookingforhelp

Also... do the hydro boats (like Vegas Deuce) flip over easier than a catamaran?
Old 11-21-2009, 02:05 PM
R.J. West

You cant go wrong with a Cat!!!

A cat is the best of both worlds....Part hydroplane, part deep V...Just as fast as a hydroplane, cause, technically a Cat is a hydroplane, but more inclined to be more stable in rougher water also cause of its hull design....cant go wrong.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:33 PM
rcguy1411

if i where going to get another boat out of the three you are looking at i wouldent hesitate getting the tc 31
Old 11-22-2009, 02:34 AM
Ponsi37

The hydroplanes need almost perfect conditions to drive in. Hydroplanes will nose dive if you hit a wave and that is not good. The thundercat is the way to go because it is more stable than a deepV and able to take chop better than hydroplanes.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:31 AM
jon070

Then the Thunder Cat 31.

One a side note the gator is offered for $550 however you will still need a radio and servos. The first upgrade to the the Thunder cat is a new radio.

Things to consider glow fuel starts at $30 a gallon glow plugs are $4 a pop you might need 1 every other session some times more, $20 for a glow starter, and misc tools. We are at $400+ and we haven't loaded all that stuff and driven to the pond.

Bet you never thought you would ask one question and get so many answers. I apologize for making waves here. I own the shockwave the sister boat to the TC31 it has been a great boat and considering I had no experience when I got it it is still one of my favorites. Good luck with whatever you purchase and I am sure the members at RCU will always be willing to help.

Jon

Old 11-22-2009, 08:32 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once I ran a hydro I never went back , the cornering and the speed is what got me and a hydro hull is the coolest looking but thats just me..........GO HYDRO!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2009, 09:12 AM
lookingforhelp

Wow.  This was a lot of help.  Thank you everyone.  I'm glad I found this forum.  Everyone gave me alot to think about.

THANKS!!
Old 12-27-2009, 12:36 PM
chanksta187

i need some info on nice mods or upgrades for tc31. mine is mostly stock just painted it. need to know what is best motor for it. and ive seen a few with inline rudder was wondering where i can find these parts.