Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Questions about my BJ 26

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Questions about my BJ 26

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:33 AM
evlwevl
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about my BJ 26

I have an older BlackJack 26 that has been sitting on the shelf for a few years now. I'm running a TLR Skater setup that works pretty good and I'd like to get just a little more speed out of it but first things first.

The problem I'm having is about 5 or 6 minutes or so into a run, it just dies out during full throttle. After this last run today I inspected everything and the first coil of the glow plug doesnt glow when attached to my ignitor. Could this be the cause of the engine cutting off?

So, after I take care of that problem, I'd like to get a little more speed out of it without having to modify my my canopy, throttle arm or drive system. I've spent way too much with the skater setup and have bought another 60 bucks worth of flex shafts for said unit. I dont know what size those are since the company is no longer around. I'd like to look into an .18 motor even if I have to give up my tiger drive. I also need some recommendations on some props. I'm not trying to break any records here and my pond is pretty small so take that into consideration Thanks
Old 03-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Questions about my BJ 26

Could be. The coil is probably broken so it's only glowing when you've got it in the ignitor and the wire is touching a side. You probably will have to richen the carb a little.
I don't have much in the way of experience with the Dynamite .18 so I can't recommend a prop for you. It should be able to spin at least an Octura X-637 but you didn't mention what's on it now.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:51 AM
evlwevl

I'm currently running the stock plastic purple prop. Since the boat is discontinued, the Proboat website only shows sizing for a stock replacement as a 1.34" x 2.06" composite prop. No pitch specs are included. I. I think the shaft size is .150.

I'm also wondering what is the best bang for the buck as far as .18 engines go.

My choices would be the Proboat .18($109)
Aeromarine .18 ($35) on clearance
O.S.18CV-RMX($170)
Old 03-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Ron Olson

Avoid the Aeromarine engine like the plague! Really, it's that bad. The OS would be a great choice but don't forget the Aquacraft .18 as that uses a Tiger Drive-like wand starter.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:19 AM
evlwevl

Thanks for the aeromarine heads up. I will look into the aquacraft. An aqua motor in a proboat, isnt that like running a smallblock chevy in a 32 Ford Coupe?
Old 03-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Ron Olson

Yes, but there are a lot of stovebolt mouse motors in Ford bodied street rods! That one I got out of Grimmie's hand last year at the Toledo show to get a shot of it. The nice thing is that it should be a bolt-in.
If you want to add fuel to the fire then get one of Mike's Aquacraft Grimracer props for it, the 40x53, 40x52/3 or 40x57/3 would be good ones to try.