Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Nitro Hammer pull starter issue

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Nitro Hammer pull starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 AM
exoticracerx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Hammer pull starter issue

I just purchased my nitro hammer yesterday brand new from a hobby shop. I got home and assembled it and got it ready for the first run. I had the glow plug on and primed and everything. When i went to pull the cable on the pull starter is wouldn't even pull. It was extremely difficult to pull...
SUGGESTIONS?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:23 AM
TCHedOff

Default RE: Nitro Hammer pull starter issue

Thats normal for a brand new engine. It will get easier and easier to pull start as the engine breaks in and the internal parts wear a little and get mated together.

To start you engine now, when its tight, loosen the glow plug some to relieve the compression - it'll still be harder to pull start than when the engine is broke-in, but you'll get it going. another comment: Before you put the glow plug igniter on, put a finger over the carb opening to seal it, and give the engine a few pulls (this will force fuel into the carb to prime the engine).... the take your finger off, put on the igniter and pull away.

Lastly, when first driving the boat, alternate running it from it fast to running it slow to "heat cycle" the engine (get the engine hot, then cool down some). Try something like 50-75 yds fast straightaways and then 1/2 throttle turns, then fast straight aways, slow turns. Repeat this process for 5-10 tank fulls to break in your engine. Takes some patience, but after a few tanks you notice it getting faster and faster and you'll notice it gets easier and eaiser to turn over.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You mentioned that you primed the motor. It's very possible that you flooded it. It doesn't take a lot of fuel to flood a small motor like that.
The easy way to clear a flooded motor it to remove the plug, hold the boat upside down and pull the starter until it clears. If it's still hard to pull over after that then loosen the plug like what Todd said.
If it doesn't pull over without the plug in then you may have issues elsewhere.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:44 PM
exoticracerx

Thank you for the responses but i took it to my hobby shop and they looked at it and the engine was locked up so I got a formula fastech 26 instead.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:18 AM
dicko

A 26 is a little big for the Hammer. Did they try to unloclk it & fire it up? When they're new they often lock at top dead center & you can turn them back over & fire them up. Locking up when they are new isn't uncommon. Mine used to do it until it was broken in. I'd contact Aquacraft as they may replace the engine for free under warranty. You may have got hosed there.