Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

lets talk fuel!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

lets talk fuel!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:33 PM
idocdave09
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lets talk fuel!!!

I'm talking GAS as in you pump it at the station.
Dave
Old 05-02-2010, 05:40 PM
andybenton

most people do gasoline bye ratio, not percentages.

but nitro is getting harder to come by around here specifically.   locally nitro is dieing out. most people are running electric,

dont get me wrong i like electrics. but theres something about nitro that i cant get past. the smell, the sound, the mess lol.

plug and play is fun sometimes, but it gets old.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:18 PM
joseywales

That why guy's are switching over to GAS and FE. Hight nitro price's and glow plugs are getting high too. some plug are up to as high as 8.00 a plug.[X(]
Old 05-02-2010, 06:49 PM
amax

LOL,, A Gas Boat Isn't ANY Cheaper than a Nitro Boat, a modified gas engine is as much as a good nitro engine, parts for gas boats are bigger so they cost more, they Both Break on a regular basis, it takes 2 people to launch and drive Most gas boats, my nitro boats Only Take Me, this little JAE rigger I'm building with a .18ci\2.9cc engine is gonna cost in the ball park of $200 no radio, My gas Hydro with a 26cc\ 1.59ci. is in the ball park of $1,500 no radio,,, and they Both run about the Same Speed,,or will when I'm done with the rigger. I would have to burn A Lot of Nitro to make up that price diff. I hate waiting on batteries to charge also, and There's No Such Thing as True Plug and Play, electric needs maintenance and repairs just like the rest, and Fast Electrics Cost Big $$ Too.

I'll stick to my little nitro boats.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:18 PM
idocdave09

I'm talking you pump it gas at the gas station.
Dave
Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 PM
joseywales

Amax it is cheaper to have a gas boat. Please do your math. ya they cost more in some parts,but in the long run you see the differents in running cost and savings. Most guys change there glow plugs at every heat they race in. Add that up plus nitro fuel being burned up. any were from 4oz- 22oz every heat. As for gas,you can buy a RCMK 254 out of the box for under 300.00 that puts out 5.2hp. Thats way more than any stock gas engine puts out. Plus that is much HP as CMB.90 that cost about 600.00. Glow plug's up to anywere 4.00-8.00 apiece plus you change them in every heat race your in,some are two days race event's and you go out 4-6 times aday to race in. Your bigger nitro engine's like sport40 and bigger burns 16oz -22oz every heat. That can use 1 1/2-2gallons of nitro fuel. Cost on gallon is 35.00 for 40% - 50.00 for 60-65% nitro fuel. This can hurt the poor little guy's who's wants to race,like me and misshydro. I was going to race a sport40 but won't at this race because of the fuel and glow plug cost. She is going to race the JAE.12 and I'm going to race a Miss Vegas.21. Maybe at the july race we should be able to aford to run that sport40. That's why your seeing more nitro guy's switching over to gas.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:26 PM
andybenton

this is turning into a debate. of some sorts. lol

i think we should get back to talking about fuel and oil content lol.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:56 PM
idocdave09

ORIGINAL: andybenton

this is turning into a debate. of some sorts. lol

i think we should get back to talking about fuel and oil content lol.

I did not post to make it a debate at all, I have seen nitro boats
run and like the way they GO I just can't afford the extra cost to
run a nitro boat plus I live near the Great Lakes and have run
my gas boat in about a 1' chop and had a blast don't think I could
have run anything smaller or faster than I have. I know nitro is a lot
faster than the gas I run.
Dave

Old 05-02-2010, 10:12 PM
joseywales

No you didn't start any debate. Most guy's strongly sudjest running 18% oil in your nitro fuel's. Save zone's to %oil are 15-18%. We use SIG blending oil in our fuel's if nitro oil% is to low. Just remember any higher then 40% nitro fuel's your shorting your engine life spand. Engine companys sudjust 20%-35% nitro fuel.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:46 PM
grasschopper46
My Feedback: (2)

Hi guys I fly nitro helis and planes the 2 fuels I use are omega 15%synthetic blend with castor (for my planes) and coolpower30%synthetic on helis both are jp morgan fuels..I really like the15% fuel with castor everything seems to run cooler, I think its about 18% oil content.as for the coolpower 30% its got 22% oil
Old 05-02-2010, 10:47 PM
andybenton

ive never used coolpower 22% oil sounds pretty good tho lol 
Old 05-02-2010, 10:49 PM
grasschopper46

Thats all the lhs carries
Old 05-02-2010, 10:50 PM
grasschopper46

oh I forgot your heli will smoke like a frieght train!!!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:53 PM
andybenton

lol i kinda had a feeling

i like the smoky blue trail tho lol
Old 05-03-2010, 06:42 AM
amax

Man Y'all are paying Way to much for fuel, I'm just gonna put this out here and I won't say anymore about it HERE,,LOL. If your running in a Club or Just like to run your nitro boat A Lot, Home Brew is Most Definitely the Way To Go. Both Nitro and Methanol are Safer To Store and Work With Than Gasoline.

VPRacing Nitromethane is $170 for 5 gallons [link=http://www.hyperfuels.com/storename/highfuelsn/dept/81051/ItemDetail-2706889.aspx]Nitro[/link]
on this site Methanol is $30 for 5 gallons [link=http://www.hyperfuels.com/storename/highfuelsn/dept/81051/ItemDetail-2706887.aspx]Methanol[/link]

That's $200 for 10 gallons of 50% Fuel, Hazmat Fees are included in the price listed.
If you have a VPRacing Fuel Distributor in your area it's even cheaper there,,,Normally.
Nitro is Not Dieing just The Old Guys that normally run The Big Nitro Boats. So there's less people with the Ability to Properly Tune a Nitro Engine, Sharing their Insight and Experiences with others.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 AM
advanced builder

Gas/ nitro that been debated since I signed in a few years ago. That's why we have another forum. Yes I would love to 5 gal of nitro,I live up north. We just don't run 5 gal a season. I don't have anyone to share with. It will sit until next year.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:02 AM
amax

If you have a good storage area that's Dry and fairly even climate and you keep everything sealed well, Both Nitro and Methanol store for extended periods very well, Both are much more stable than Gasoline and much Safer to Store.

On the Subject of Oil Ratio,, It to has been Debated on pretty much every R\C Forum Out There. What you have to ask Yourself Is what you intend to do with the Boat\Engine that Your Running. Just Like Every other engine made,, The Higher you push Performance Levels, the more Maintenance it Requires to keep it up and running, Parts wear out, the harder you Push the parts the Faster they wear out. If you don't replace worn out parts you will definitely have more engine failures. You don't drive a Hot Rod around like a Honda Civic, and you don't expect it to go without repairs as long as you would a Civic,,LOL.

High Oil % and Low Nitro %, Will let you run your engine longer without replacing parts when Tuned and Maintained Properly, and are a bit more forgiving to the Novice Tuner. But they will still wear out or Munch a Bearing.
Lower Oil % and Higher Nitro %, Will give you Higher Performance Levels from your engine when Tuned Properly, But do require closer attention to maintenance and wear. The Higher you push performance, The More Critical Proper Tuning is.

The Key to engine longevity in Any engine is Proper Maintenance and Tuning.

If your just Pond Hopin in the back yard or at the lake with your buddy's' low nitro high oil fuel is fine,,, Until one of your buddy's' out runs ya [:@],,LOL,, and you want to Up the Anti[:-]
I have run as high as 67% nitro and as low as 10% Syn\castor blend oil. Yea the engines Screamed, and Yes Parts did wear out faster,,,,But The Thrill Was Worth It..[>:][8D]
I run a 60\12 mixture and it works Very Well For Me. I very Rarely have Catastrophic Engine Failures that wipe a complete engine out,, But IT happens,, Most the time it will be a bearing failing 35,000 to 40,000 RPM can be a little ruff on em.
Knowing your engines performance characteristics and paying attention and investigating when you notice performance drops is the key to preventing Catastrophic failures. Replace Worn Parts Before they Fail, don't just keep running it because your at the pond and wanna play. I treat my engines Like the "Top Fuel" Engines they are.

If this is the kinda performance you expect from your boat then stick with High Oil Low Nitro Fuel,,LOL.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0GWEMmQWyg&feature=related[/youtube]

I don't see many vids of a Sport 18 Hydro running like mine do( and the ones I have seen can get me started on a whole other topic of GPS Placment,,LOL), but if your trying to reach these kinda speeds you might want to get away from the hobby store blends and what the engine manufacturers put in their cheesy instruction manuals to Cover Their Butt.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f37-cYN6j8[/youtube]