Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Central NEW YORK boaters

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Central NEW YORK boaters

Old 05-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Blackout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

Neil, did you do the same mod to your .21 crank? Your .21 was screaming at Stony Pond last weekend before it jumped the island.

Any video of friday's Brick Pond running?
Old 05-08-2011, 03:53 PM
advanced builder

Yes , You need to do that. And yes there is a video but I can't get it to post. As always Bill Kosack had the fastest hull.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:41 AM
advanced builder

I may of made a mistake ,I need to do a water test. My rubber boot needs a bigger dia. I can fill the holes with resin, turn my servo arm over and re-drill my radio box. Yes I drilled them holes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49610.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1606588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32960.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1606589  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

I may of made a mistake ,I need to do a water test. My rubber boot needs a bigger dia. I can fill the holes with resin, turn my servo arm over and re-drill my radio box. Yes I drilled them holes.
Paint looks good! Not exactly sure what you did wrong with the rudder holes. Is the rudder too low?

Old 05-10-2011, 12:18 PM
engineman351

Neil and Bob...It was good to see you guys in Elmira on Friday. I spent way too much time tring to get my gas rigger to run. As it turns out, Friday night after having dinner with the Kozuck Brothers I headed back to my place at Keuka Lake and swapped out the Quickdraw out for the Zenoah that was in the 'Evil' Seaducer. I think I used every tool I had in my 'boat' bag plus a bunch more that were in the shed at the Lake to complete the swap. It took me from 10:30PM til 2AM to get all the hard parts changed and everything else bolted back together. I had to finish the waterlines and carb spray cover at Elmira Sat morning. Even then, we still could not get the rigger up to speed right off the bat. It seems the rigger's less than forgiving engine mount causes tremendous vibration that kept shaking the carb and carb spacer off the motor. After re-tightening with lock washers and more loctite, everything stayed together and it finally ran some pretty fast laps. After I got back to Rochester, I looked up some Walbro carb info and I think the main issue with the Quickdraw is that the carb is missing the gasket under the metering diaphram. I had only tried the motor once before and had the same issue but I didn't suspect the carb because it was in a Walbro box and looked like it had never been used. Go figure!! I am off to North Carolina for the next two weekends so I will not be able to make it to Craig's pond anytime soon. I did fire up the Mongoose .67 Sunday just to make sure the engine runs. It sounds ready to go. Roger C.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 PM
advanced builder

OK Thanks Roger. I did fill the holes and patched my radio box. Looks like 1 " higher. I can rotate my servo and turn my rubber boot around,having it come inside. I will have room to add a boot for the hulls transom. The rudder is kicked back 3 1/4 "
PS I've added some super magnets to the tongue ,now getting the magnets inside the hull is the challenge today. I 'm pushing to get-her done.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:46 AM
advanced builder

WE got one DONE. I pushed on threw the night. The prop is a Octura V940 I will be testing a few pipe config's

Name:	Fd91070.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1607501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87106.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1607502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86967.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1607503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63402.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1607504  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Blackout

Looks good Neil! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Stony Pond will be open for test and tune this weekend. Weather is iffy for both days, so I'll leave it up to you guys on when or if you want to come. I'll be around both days. It sounds like Neil will be coming on Sunday.

The driver's stand is for the most part done, so no worries of falling off...
Old 05-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Blackout

While the forecast is always changing, Saturday looks a little better at 70 degrees and scattered thunderstorms. Sunday is 58 degrees and a chance of thunder showers... Both days have low winds of 10 mph so that is good....
Old 05-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Blackout

And the driver stand is pretty much done.... 9.5 feet tall, 16 feet long, and 6 feet wide.

That's what calm water looks like on Stony Pond.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Blackout

I ran the O.S. powered .91 Seaducer today for the first time. Everything went well. Bob came over and helped; he lives in Canandaigua too. I noticed the throttle arm on the carb came loose on the last run. I was wondering why the throttle was changing on me at times. The water was perfect, like glass, and the rain held off for me. I put about 4 or 5 tanks through it. I'm running 40% nitro now, an X462, and a 12.5" pipe length. I think I'll try a X465 and a shorter pipe before I go any leaner. Any suggestions??

Old 05-15-2011, 06:34 AM
advanced builder

nice looking hull Craig. We can play another day RAIN. I'm a little disappointed in the weather. Another wet weekend. [:@] how was the speeds? Any vids ? It rained all the time I was North. in A-bay. The economy doesn't hurt some people. $$$$ Most of the townhouses go for 4 hundred thousand and up. Just to use for 15 weeks a year. After Labor Day they roll up the sidewalks.everyone is gone. 1000 islands is a real special place.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Blackout

Not sure on speeds and no video. It was moving pretty good, but surely needs to be faster for a F-mono. I'm pretty sure there is way more speed there, I just need to tune and try some more props. I was just happy that the engine ran fine. I had the whole engine apart to convert to a front exhaust marine engine and I could have made a mistake putting it back together, but so far so good... I'll put my GPS on it next time. My Speedmaster .45 GPS'd at 51 MPH max, so I just hope to be 10 mph more than that.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:36 PM
engineman351

Craig, Nice looking Seaducer. You do good work!! I know we all want to go faster (or be the fastest!) but a 50-55mph heat boat will probably finish a lot more heats by being almost as fast in the turns as the straights and not going willy nilly in some chop. The only boats I can recall doing a sub-one minute six lap heats in Elmira are .45/.67 riggers. Those turns take a big bite out of the lap times. FYI...the drivers stand looks great. Unfortunately it will be a while before I make it back to Stony Pond. I'm off to North Carolina for a wedding this weekend. Maybe I'll get a chance to try some of my new builds over the Labor Day weekend. Roger C.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Craig, Nice looking Seaducer. You do good work!! I know we all want to go faster (or be the fastest!) but a 50-55mph heat boat will probably finish a lot more heats by being almost as fast in the turns as the straights and not going willy nilly in some chop. The only boats I can recall doing a sub-one minute six lap heats in Elmira are .45/.67 riggers. Those turns take a big bite out of the lap times. FYI...the drivers stand looks great. Unfortunately it will be a while before I make it back to Stony Pond. I'm off to North Carolina for a wedding this weekend. Maybe I'll get a chance to try some of my new builds over the Labor Day weekend. Roger C.
Hi Roger,

I hope you mean Memorial Day weekend. Labor Day is a few months away... And yes, Stony Pond will most likely be open for testing on Memorial Day weekend. We may have to give the kids a chance to go swimming though. It depends how crazy they are. When I was a kid and my parents had their place on Canandaigua Lake, we always went swimming on Memorial Day no matter the weather!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:39 PM
advanced builder

I just looked open mono Scott,Pete's son he's going to be hard to beat. He grew up running RC boats. This is going to be a great summer. I did notice a few new faces last week on tune up day. Craig the way you drive you should do well. I'm hoping for a break-out year. I do have to run against Scott in the .21 hydro. class. and you too. I plan on having fun no-matter what happens. We can talk about it all winter. Prop isn't coming this weekend. I can pit for you. He will be missed. I was hoping to see him win the Thunderboat class. but he can pick up points if we head to Canada. It will be my first to Norther Lights RC Club. It's 5 hr's drive Bob said The Ottawa race is on my son's wedding day. They had a rain-out on there first race. but they changed it I may go It's kinda close for me up 81 an east from their. My cat may not like it. All he does is sleep 16 years old. He still goes outside for a few minutes. He lays and hides on the grape vine. But the leaves are just coming on.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

I just looked open mono Scott,Pete's son he's going to be hard to beat. He grew up running RC boats. This is going to be a great summer. I did notice a few new faces last week on tune up day. Craig the way you drive you should do well. I'm hoping for a break-out year. I do have to run against Scott in the .21 hydro. class. and you too. I plan on having fun no-matter what happens. We can talk about it all winter. Prop isn't coming this weekend. I can pit for you. He will be missed. I was hoping to see him win the Thunderboat class. but he can pick up points if we head to Canada. It will be my first to Norther Lights RC Club. It's 5 hr's drive Bob said The Ottawa race is on my son's wedding day. They had a rain-out on there first race. but they changed it I may go It's kinda close for me up 81 an east from their. My cat may not like it. All he does is sleep 16 years old. He still goes outside for a few minutes. He lays and hides on the grape vine. But the leaves are just coming on.
Pete was glad that I entered open mono; I was the third boat to make it a class. Bob said he might show up on Sunday and run just that day, assuming that is allowed. Not so sure about crossing the border to Canada. I had some issues a few years ago trying to get back in. Your rights are no longer when you drive back to the U.S. Going to Canada is not the problem, it's coming back.

As far as placing, I just want to get the boats running and finish some races first!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:39 PM
advanced builder

Yes it's a problem for me as well. Getting into Canada is nothing really. Getting back in can be a problem. I don't like US customs. kinda been that way since 9/11
If I go I may just rent a car. They can sniff thew that all they want.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:18 PM
bigstang

hey guys im a new yorker too but im more in the center lol about 45 min west of albany. any clubs or people around this areah. i dont mind driving
Old 05-18-2011, 05:08 AM
advanced builder

bigstang ,got the boating bug. Yes we do ,a few guy's run in Hinkley . North of Uitica
One guy lives in Speculator. I can't think of his name off hand. Joe Petro runs when he can he's from Frankford. He does a lot of conventions and traveling
We race this weekend in Elmira. Brick pond stop down if you can. I did notice a few new boaters last week test and tune day
Yes it's a trip we have guys that come from Boston and Canada not to speak of the guys from Buffalo.
You need a IMPBA card to run. nothing to watch
That card is your insurance if some accident happens. We all try to be safe. Safety is always first.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:13 AM
bigstang

well i got the bug last year lol and ran it 2xs and needed to tune it real bad but then winter comes. lol so now im going to wally world to pick up a car charger(charges 1.5amps) for my 12v 7ah battery then hoppgully today i can test it out. set the needles back to stock spots
Old 05-23-2011, 06:55 AM
advanced builder

We had a good ole time in Elmira. My Cat is still a work in progress. My .21 rigger was fast to fast. I need more time with that hull. The E-Vee was tops I'm in first place. No one can touch me. I'm very happy All that winter work on my Transmitter finally paid off. I'm becoming a better driver. Craig did better than I did on the riggers. He finished a heat. But was badly damaged with 2 broken boom tubes. How he finished his heat was a wonder. He clipped a buoy. I cut a boater off with my .21 rigger and was DSQ over steering. I felt bad for the Bob who I cut. I need to learn how to come off of pipe and get back on pipe. We had 7-8 boats running in the heat. I passed a few OK but speed got me in trouble. My starter went dead during a start ,I later found a bad connection and added better wire splicers.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Blackout

Yah, that 20 hydro class was crazy! 7-8 boats running and some were slower because they were 20 mod tunnels, so you were always needing to pass people. I hit a bouy trying to get by a tunnel. And you can't slow down too much or you won't get on pipe again. I need to learn to drive in traffic better. [X(] After hitting the bouy, the rigger was real sluggish, something about the right sponson flopping around... [X(]

The 90 Seaducer ran good. I lost throttle control after finishing the first heat; the carb arm came loose. I was able to turn fast a few times and get the engine to stall. The second heat was good with the carb arm now fixed. But, on the last turn I dunked the boat. I need to play around with setup, or just slow down in rough turns. The 3rd heat was good, until my low battery failsafe kicked in on the transmitter, and shut the boat down. I think I might have a bad cell....
Old 05-23-2011, 01:17 PM
advanced builder

Yes, the turtles won that race. Yes it was fun Yes I'm going back. Yes I need more time with the rigger.
Ron I took this pic for you and I asked about flip-starting a outboard. He never showed me yet.

Name:	Vt58309.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1613580  
Old 05-26-2011, 05:28 AM
advanced builder

Joe has a new release the MINI rigger. I seen one in person yesterday. Going to be a big hit. Lipo powered. Fast quiet great handling. If your sighed up to his newsletter you get $20.00 off
Speed is said to be 40mph. I believe he had one sent out to All Hobbs for a RC universe review. A great park boat. 2 sets of lipo's and your good for a 1 hr of running. No field box needed plug and play.
your on the water for under $200.00 with a Skyfly radio

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.