Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Central NEW YORK boaters

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Central NEW YORK boaters

Old 10-26-2012, 07:33 AM
advanced builder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

ORIGINAL: Joe Petro

Sweat shirts are on order Neil...

Joe
OK thanks Neil
Here s another nice looking hull http://www.jrcbd.com/content.php?r=6...Bullitt-T-Boat
Keep them hull light Rick Big Mike & Kathy are in Las Vegas for the big gas championship race.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:13 AM
parshallboatworks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

into consideration during build, and will check ballance regularly... will of corse build as light as kit will allow......lol
ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Joe
OK thanks Neil
Here s another nice looking hull http://www.jrcbd.com/content.php?r=6...Bullitt-T-Boat
Keep them hull light Rick Big Mike & Kathy are in Las Vegas for the big gas championship race.
LIGHT AND STRAIGHT BABY!!!! you got it neil!! he said he had to push engine forward and add weight to bow... will take th
Old 10-26-2012, 09:16 AM
parshallboatworks

ORIGINAL: rickyak55

into consideration during build, and will check ballance regularly... will of corse build as light as kit will allow......lol
ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Joe
OK thanks Neil
LIGHT AND STRAIGHT BABY!!!! you got it neil!! he said he had to push engine forward and add weight to bow... will take th
???????? dont know what happened there.... i,m computer illiterate!!!lol
Old 10-26-2012, 09:57 AM
bdog1

Hey Guy's Mike here :What do you mean when you say "open rigger" or "open mono" are you saying any size motor - rigger /mono runs as a heat ?
Back in my day we generaly ran .20 , .40 , .60 and open was .60 and up to 1.80.
We did combine the sizes when there was not enough boats to make a heat ...nothing more boreing then a 1 boat heat
See you at Phelps Ricky

Mike
Old 10-26-2012, 12:24 PM
advanced builder

Mike,
Open is gas or nitro ,You can run either. now twins are different. I've run my .12 rigger in open rigger. Not recommended My gas JAE rigger blew a engine during open water so I had the .21 rigger to do it all ,up in Ottawa. I took home 3rd place in Open rigger hanging onto lane 1. but we only had 4 entries. I lucked out. Every club has it own agenda depending on what everyone has for a boat. We didn't have a .12 rigger class or a gas cracker box class. That may change if we have enough .12 riggers. The 45 class is a good bet as we all will have one, next year. Running a .45 in open rigger will be fun. If that's all you have to run. My 45 JAE nitro rigger will do OK next to a Gas JAE rigger. He may come up one me in the straight away but I got the turn. If you hold lane #1 that is. I believe we will stay close to the Elmira agenda. http://www.stnyrcmbc.com/
I'm sure we will find out next year
[&o] Who's the "rigger boss".
Old 10-26-2012, 03:21 PM
gassertom

Luc,
Thanks - that's one awesome video. Will definately help with the winter blues.

T&C
Old 10-26-2012, 04:48 PM
bdog1

Got it ,Thanks Neil
Great video !
Old 10-26-2012, 07:06 PM
engineman351

Mike, I'll add a bit to Neil's 'Open' discussion...Open Rigger is just riggers. We were having some difficulty with running the riggers along with other hull types as the speed differential, handling differences, and hydro blow offs posed some issues with faster riggers. Usually the class has some .67 nitro and gas powered riggers that run pretty well together. Running larger or smaller engines is an option, but it is better if all the boats can run some quick laps. There are other Open classes like Open Cat and Open Mono, but they are usually (not always) either gas or nitro. RC
Old 10-26-2012, 07:25 PM
advanced builder

I found this Open cat while looking at Luc's video We got the FE to deal with too Roger.
http://youtu.be/0Dj9Zq9B2nE
Old 10-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Canadian LoCo

ORIGINAL: gassertom

Luc,
Thanks - that's one awesome video. Will definately help with the winter blues.

T&C
your welcome guys thats all we can do when the white stuff flys.
unless you fly down south LOL.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:00 PM
bdog1

Hey Rog, thanks : Yes too large a overlap speed is a problem - boats/cars /planes -you can only look so far ahead and still keep you eyes on your own craft
I am in the process of determining what boats I will bring out next year.
I would prefer to add to and help a class with limited numbers become stronger,of course I have older equiptment that I would like to start using again also.
Anyway it goes it will be a blast !
Old 10-27-2012, 02:18 PM
gassertom

What is everyone using for instant glue when building for smooth joints/seams? The one I have now (label fell off) doesn't bond instantly and doesn't penetrate the wood.
Thanks, Tom
Old 10-27-2012, 02:38 PM
parshallboatworks

ORIGINAL: gassertom

What is everyone using for instant glue when building for smooth joints/seams? The one I have now (label fell off) doesn't bond instantly and doesn't penetrate the wood.
Thanks, Tom
I like thin c/a with a kicker... Bob smith industrys(BSI) seems to work well. Thin will wick into most stuff pretty good and kicks fast ( instant with kicker!!) the cheap stuff and dollar store stuff aint worth a darn!!
Rick

Old 10-27-2012, 02:44 PM
parshallboatworks

Well had fun at sky rovers auction, more fun after i hooked up with "the man"(Joe Petro) and got my new X-force 26cc gasser for thunderboat!!!! Hey Tom, Joe had enough brass for waterlines for both hydros... Got it covered. Now need some straight building boards and soon a trip to Fla. to visit mother in law to test bullitt thunderboat!!! [X(]
Old 10-27-2012, 07:07 PM
advanced builder

Rick, The Xforce is not a legal engine. ,inside the Thundeboat . The class is a gentleman race. All stock Zenhoa. If IMPBA passes the Open Thunderboat class, or big block then anything goes. But your not racing YET. so NBD NAMBA has the same rule I think.
Why only Zenhoa I have no ideal. it was the first one ?? I picked one up, can't beat the price. I haven't snooped inside as the pond is down. I got all winter to look inside. Having a stock class makes for some great racing. Everyone's kinda close during a heat.
T&C the shelf life on opened CA thin is very short. I don't care for the Hobby Lobby CA personally. The small 0.5 thin Great Planes Pro works good for me. Only at the hobby shop. Thick CA stays a little longer once opened. You can get the larger size thick as you use more .
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK281&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK291&P=7
Old 10-28-2012, 05:01 AM
klinker19

ORIGINAL: rickyak55

Now need some straight building boards
Rick,

I got two 24"x48"x3/4" pieces of MDFlast night at Home Depot. Should be able to use as building boards and then maybe makea cool boat stand out of it like the Miss Brandigirl II is on, I'm done and over with the PVC pipe contraptions. Make sure to trace the bottom curve of the full length stringer before the build for this purpose please.

What are you up to today? Maybe we could rendezvous at the pond so Ican get you this stuff.

TC

EDIT: or meet someplace NEARthe pond, to avoid any more shoveling...
Old 10-28-2012, 08:25 AM
parshallboatworks

Hey tom,
lol.. I picked up a sheet of mdf at Lowes too.. 4x8 34$(ouch!!) have the 4 13"x48" allready cut out and gluing together.. Between yours and left over sheet i have, we can build sweet racks to carry start and store them. I agree with the PVC built things... Pain in the butt!!! Good idea to trace the outline of stringers, will do... Where are you coming from? Webster? I am about 10-15 min from pond in bloomfield-bristol area... Maby we could get together here...
Neil.... This is my play boat for now,i like the pics luc posted and plan to hook up with a friend who restores full scale hydros to find a boat to model thunderboat after including as much scale details as weight will allow... It would be cool to then get pics with the full size boat and mine together... I dont plan to race it and if i do want to in future i will slip a zenoah in and kick some t-boat butt.... Lol.. I knew the stock zen rules when i got into it... The JAEs would be my choice to race.... Thanks tho.45&.21 class here we come!!!
Rick P.
Tom, give me a call. 585-507-8710
Old 10-28-2012, 09:37 AM
advanced builder

Rick
You needed a engine to do the driveline and engine mounts layout. On your build. All the same size wise. It's the same except,- for the" Zenhoa" casting on the base. Looks like" X Force"is stamped into the base. That engine will serve you well for many years. I have a QD and the engine, would put me into a different class based on the head button. I can only run in Open. but the HP is the same as a 260. Craig has a K30 inside his mono- he can only run in Open mono. Gas mono the X-Force will fit. Gas Cat and Gas Rigger. A 290 PUM Zenhoa is "Open", I think No matter you will have fun. Will big block thunderboat be a class,I think yes. This may be voter upon ,this winter. I have NOT read a bad post on the X force. The jury is still out. I better look inside. I do think Zenhoa has a Quality control issue with the Blue crank blues. I like the Xforce crank inside my Zenhoa 260 PUM.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Billk44

Neil,
290/28.5 are NOT legal in Gas Cat per IMPBA rules. Open Cat it would be but many clubs do not run it. Don't fool yourself with the big block engines. They may have a little more torque but not the RPM. RPM = speed.
Bill
Old 10-28-2012, 10:00 AM
parshallboatworks

I should have had joe bring a collet for X-force.... will need that when i come to stuffing tube motor mount part of build... darn!! going to  get Joes ultimate hardware kit for bullitt but not till tax return time... anyone have one i can use for set up???Starting the layout for framing hull now...
Old 10-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Billk44

Don't fool yourself with the big block engines. They may have a little more torque but not the RPM. RPM = speed.
Bill
Very true.
I still beleive that a mod Zenoah (or X-Force) 26 is the way to go...
Shaft speed=MPH.
Ask the FE guys why the fastest boats are electric. How many engines can spin 50,000+ RPM?

And Neil's QD screaming before launch doesn't count...

Joe
Old 10-28-2012, 05:49 PM
bdog1

Hey Neil :What size rudder did you use on your jae 45,did you use one of Joe's 6" blade and cut it down ?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:52 PM
advanced builder

BD
the rudder ,You will need to talk to Joe on that one. The one I'm using was a test rudder. Joe sent it out to me. Mine is made up of 2 different rudders. I did screw Joe's small servo bracket used for the rudder to the tub floor. The left over screw was hidden under the ski. or cut em before you add the ski. The rudder servo Hitec 225 mg is used with Joe's mini bracket. trotter Hitec HS 82 mg or 85 or 81 will work 2 needed one for the throttle and 1 for the 3 channel. Here I added 2 -1/4 sq wood stock from side to side used as a servo tray. The .45 turn fin call Dave Pressey at 847-526-4694
Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 AM
engineman351

Craig...No kitchen pass this weekend, so I missed the work party at Stony Pond. Did the rest of the stand get stained? Any more digging? Let us know if there is another planned attack for this weekend. RC
Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Craig...No kitchen pass this weekend, so I missed the work party at Stony Pond. Did the rest of the stand get stained? Any more digging? Let us know if there is another planned attack for this weekend. RC
Mark and I put another gallon of stain on, but there are still a few bare spots. It is good enough for the winter though. We can touch up the rest next year. I doubt we will have weather warm enough to stain again this year, but who knows.

I'm calling Scott Parker this week. But, the original plan was for the dozer and excavator to be dropped off this Friday and he will start digging Saturday. I'll let you know.

This weekend we can dig more at the island if anyone wants to. I was out there a little on Friday and Saturday. The weather looks dry this weekend. With the rain we are getting, there will be no way the fire department will want to help us. It will be too muddy. I never made it to the meeting, but my call was never returned either. No matter, a little digging here and there and the island will be gone enough. I have been concentrating on the north/east side of the island because that is where buoy 6 will end up. The buoy system will not work well if the depth is less than 3 feet.

Oh yah, NITRO RULES!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.