Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Central NEW YORK boaters

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Central NEW YORK boaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 06:30 AM
Blackout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

Sunday afternoon, after 2:00 pm, sounds good then.

Roger, do you want to run?

Neil, are you bringing the .67 rigger Sunday? Sounds like a fun project!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:30 PM
advanced builder

I need to start that engine First. if she runs yes I'm bringing her to test. I don't want to bring her and no start.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:06 AM
engineman351

Craig, It looks like I'll be down on Keuka Lake Sunday so I will not be able to join the crew. I was thinking of stopping by on Saturday on my way down to Keuka to test the .67 and the little .18 riggers. Is that ok? Roger C.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:19 AM
Blackout

Roger, I sent you a PM.

Guys, it sounds like Tom Driver is coming this Sunday with his new JAE .21! Should be fun!
Old 06-03-2011, 10:33 AM
advanced builder

What a .18 rigger you say,Engineman Is it a Zip rigger? I'd like to see that. And a .21 rugger Wow I have a bad rod in my .12 rigger. I'd have to tear the rigger tub down to get a .18 to fit. I have release #1 as well .the mount hold the booms . We may yet have a .12 class. You gotta see the Mini Zip ,lipo .you can hide it inside a briefcase. It's tiny one of them Flysky receivers to go with it. on the water FAST Joe said 40mph [X(] Gotta have glass on the water for them. I think!! too lite maybe
Old 06-03-2011, 11:57 AM
engineman351

Neil, My .18 rigger is a firefighter knock off (supposedly made from fiirefighter plans). The tub has been raised to allow the use of 3003 std futaba servos. I have tried to run it a few times, but I have had trouble keeping the well used OS.18TZ wound up. I just finished primering a JAE12 tub. Now I have to get some color on it and clear it all. That will use an OS.12TZ with the Texan pipe like yours. RC
Old 06-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Blackout

O.K., so we have 3 .12 riggers in the area that I know of; Neil, Bob, and Roger! You have a class Neil! I just need to build one this winter...

Forgot to mention, I started digging out the island last weekend. Cheaper than a gym membership... [X(]

Old 06-05-2011, 05:09 AM
advanced builder

I kinda liked that launch ramp.[] I know your off in Penn. I 'll be over around 2 -3 A .12 rigger class that's fun. I did get a call out to Glenn. He's not home Ill try this week.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:32 AM
advanced builder

My AC cat needs a new drive line SETUP. I snapped a shaft off. I didn't like the way my radio box came so close to the stuffing tube. An new radio box as well as a newer drive line setup.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

My AC cat needs a new drive line SETUP. I snapped a shaft off. I didn't like the way my radio box came so close to the stuffing tube. An new radio box as well as a newer drive line setup.
You'll get her going good with a new drive line. Shaft snapped because of the dent in the tube. You must of hit it at some point. There are now 2 props at the bottom of Stony Pond.

I saw one of the grass carp this morning. It was swimming in some growing weeds, but not eating. They are suppose to graze like cows.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:29 PM
advanced builder

How big do they get, like our carp size? I did put a new servo in the Easy Vee. I also went to my local hobby shop and got some brass pipe for my new drive-line. .187 dia shaft this time. My radio box need some work as well with the new angle on the pipe. Glenn got back from vacation. My .12 con-rod is on the way. In time for the race I'm not sure. I will have 2 .12 engines running I hope. one for a spare.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Blackout

How big do they get, like our carp size? I did put a new servo in the Easy Vee. I also went to my local hobby shop and got some brass pipe for my new drive-line. .187 dia shaft this time. My radio box need some work as well with the new angle on the pipe. Glenn got back from vacation. My .12 con-rod is on the way. In time for the race I'm not sure. I will have 2 .12 engines running I hope. one for a spare.
The grass carp can get over 20 pounds. I think I posted a picture of a big one a few pages back. The one I saw was still only 8"-10" long.

Looks like I'm going to hold off fixing the O.S. engine. I'm pretty sure I broke the rod because there was slop in the rod bearing from the start. You could feel the slop when you turned over the engine slowly. I should have sent the engine back when I first noticed it, but I trusted O.S. quality....

The good news is I have a 15 year old .82 K&B that I am putting in. It fits the mount exactly, I just need to drill out the engine case holes to accept 8-32 bolts. I also need a slightly longer flex shaft, but that's no big deal. I doubt it will be ready for Elmira. I had to order the flex shaft and a new coupler too. The old coupler was for square drive, and the O.S. coupler is the wrong threads.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Serpents Den

wow looks like everyone's been keeping busy   I've been wishing for better hours so I'd have a chance to get some boat running in...still only my 27" vee is running, havent gotten my 31" cat reassembled yet..neither are racers though...my TS2 and TS3 tunnels not even started on yet and both atm on the back burner... the only RC stuff I've been running was a few of my small and micro electric heli's, indoors....
   I was planning to pick up one of those Top Secret Boats Gen 2 Super Cats before winter and never got the chance...now that I was looking to order one, I just found out this past week that Bill at TSB sold his business, and new owner is supposed to take over producing everything...  It was sold months ago, and now the old TSB site is 'under construction".   I hope the new owner does continue with everything, I REALLY REALLY want one of those hulls... I've pm'd Bill G inquiring about them but haven't heard anything yet
Old 06-09-2011, 05:29 AM
advanced builder

We got a cat back I redone my drive line. But my motor mount is OFF. I need to slot some holes.not much but some. I need some more Drive dogs. I have a .150 cable that fits ,I did want to go with a .187 dia cable . Just me My pipe bend looks good. this time. That was my 2 nd bad setup. I have done a few of em. This bend will work. I know. I used fiberglass cloth inside and out.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:20 AM
engineman351

Serpents Den...I think PropCircles on this site had a new Super Cat out to Stony Pond a couple of weeks ago. He has a rear exhaust RCMK in it and it was running very well. Maybe he could give you some scoop on his build and perf so far. Roger C.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Serpents Den

yep yep, I saw that he got this last summer, was around the time I decided I wanted one myself...sad though, so far no word from Bill G to say if he or new owner is or isn't making them anymore....
Old 06-13-2011, 06:16 AM
Blackout

How did everyone do in Elmira?
Old 06-13-2011, 06:57 AM
advanced builder

I had a OK weekend. my Ev kinda died I did finish one heat. with the stock piston and top-end. I ran my .12 in the .21 class but had some needle settings were off. That engine is NIB. I ran strong for a few laps but my needle was too lean. She died. The cat is still not right. She did nothing. bad pipe setup. I need to take off that brass extension pipe. My .21 Rigger was Off as well. I changed the needle settings up in Ottawa. I didn't change em back. I hit one buoy with the EV my servo arm was bending. I upgraded to a heavy duty servo arm. My driving was good for the little I ran. I'm off to London ,ON this weekend. Prop had a good weekend. got some points. He slipped off the drivers stand running his gas rigger. the hull did a bad turn and died. Roger ran strong. I did notice his name on the race results. We all had fun.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:33 AM
engineman351

My Elmira weekend had pretty good results with a 3rd in Gas Sport Hydro, 2nd in Gas Thunderboat, 2nd in Gas Mono, and a 2nd in Open Rigger with my Cajun Bullet Gasser. But I have to say the racing was anything but ‘pretty’!! I had way too many DNS and DNF heats. I missed at least one heat in every class and Gas Sport Hydro and Open Rigger I only completed one heat in each. That says the other guys had even worse luck! Some of the odd stuff was catching a piece of fish line on the pond and wrapping it up on the shaft of the Rigger so it wouldn’t come up on plane…hit something in the water with the Gas Mono and kicked the rudder back so it wouldn’t steer…lost a screw in the rudder clevis on the T-Boat, lost steering, and wound up some of the clubs float line in the prop so bad that it twisted the strut down and bent the stuffer tube an inch in the wrong direction. The Hydro missed two heats for throttle linkage issues that it has never had in the past. PropCircles gave me a second DuBro bell crank that I used to stiffen the one on it so it wouldn’t flex around the throttle arm. Needless to say the wrenches were flying. Many thanks to my fellow racers on the parts and help they provided so I could at least get a chance to have the boats ready for every heat. I doubt I will run four classes in the future. It’s crazy to do without a ‘pit’ man. I was on my feet all day. The worst heat was with the Gas Sport Hydro on Sunday. Walt Kozuck and I would up on the same GPS coordinates during the ‘mill’ and crashed heavily. Both boats were damaged but Walt’s was banged up pretty bad with a hole in the right sponson. We did, however, shake hands after the incident. the outing was a little frustrating, but I plan on doing it again in August. Roger C.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Blackout

Proves that reliable wins races....

I'm kinda sorry I didn't go, but I only had one boat running, and family stuff to do. I could have gotten out of the family stuff since the race date was marked in the calender, but....

Karl, my 9 year old son, did run the 1/3 mile course on Stony Pond for the first time with the 40 mono. He did pretty good for his age. If the transmitter was shaped like a PS3 controller, he would have done better.

Thanks for the updates guys!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:11 PM
engineman351

Craig, Here is a non-boat blurb. Several weeks go I attended the 'Custom Car' show at the Dome Arena and met some Vintage Go-Kart racers that were showing their '60's/70's karts. Brands like McCulloch, Dart, and Fox karts, all powered by McCulloch engines that were used back in the day. Well, I told one of the guys that I had an early '60's Kart hanging up in the garage needed some help getting the engine running again. He hooked me up with a guy in Farmington that restores McCulloch engines. I actually had two different size engines stored away; MC-20 (5.8ci) and a MC-70 (7.1ci). I just got them back from the restorer. He did a tremendous amount of work to bring them back to life; cylinders freshened up, new rings, seals, etc. He even made them look like they just came out of the box back in 1964. The next step will be to freshen up the kart and strap one of the engines on for a vintage event at the Avon track at the end of July. I'm not sure I can twist my pudgy body up enough to get in the thing!!! I'll have to snap some pics and forward them to you. Roger C.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Craig, Here is a non-boat blurb. Several weeks go I attended the 'Custom Car' show at the Dome Arena and met some Vintage Go-Kart racers that were showing their '60's/70's karts. Brands like McCulloch, Dart, and Fox karts, all powered by McCulloch engines that were used back in the day. Well, I told one of the guys that I had an early '60's Kart hanging up in the garage needed some help getting the engine running again. He hooked me up with a guy in Farmington that restores McCulloch engines. I actually had two different size engines stored away; MC-20 (5.8ci) and a MC-70 (7.1ci). I just got them back from the restorer. He did a tremendous amount of work to bring them back to life; cylinders freshened up, new rings, seals, etc. He even made them look like they just came out of the box back in 1964. The next step will be to freshen up the kart and strap one of the engines on for a vintage event at the Avon track at the end of July. I'm not sure I can twist my pudgy body up enough to get in the thing!!! I'll have to snap some pics and forward them to you. Roger C.
Sounds cool!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:35 AM
advanced builder

I went to the track last night at the fairgrounds My Slash came in second. big tar oval .I ran pretty good for wrong tires.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Blackout

I went to the track last night at the fairgrounds My Slash came in second. big tar oval .I ran pretty good for wrong tires.
Congrats!
Old 06-15-2011, 01:02 PM
advanced builder

I was kinda surprised myself,Craig my driving is getting better.[X(] Their were only 3 trucks running .So I could do no worse than 3rd .I need tar tires. The ones I ran with were very hard. not for a hard track. But when I did get a going I done OK They also run different gearing then the indoor track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.