Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Central NEW YORK boaters

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Central NEW YORK boaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 06:36 AM
engineman351

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

Barring and sudden requests from the wife...I'm looking at being at Stony Pond late AM early PM on Sunday to run a couple of boats. I will probably bring a Gas Rigger and a Gas Thunderboat. Craig...Hard to tune? Most of the time just 'Pull and Go!! I will admit they do land 'hard' if they decide to become a plane!!! Roger
Old 10-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Barring and sudden requests from the wife...I'm looking at being at Stony Pond late AM early PM on Sunday to run a couple of boats. I will probably bring a Gas Rigger and a Gas Thunderboat. Craig...Hard to tune? Most of the time just 'Pull and Go!! I will admit they do land 'hard' if they decide to become a plane!!! Roger
Gas boats have large props and allot of torque so more prop walk issues on some hulls. That is where I was coming from. Carbs are more complicated too, as well as the ignition system. I think that if you know nitro engines, they are just as easy to start and keep running.

Keep in mind, I like to pick fun of the gas boats just because I am a nitro guy...

I'll be around on Sunday, so I'll look out for you. I'll need to figure out what to run if the water is rough. We are suppose to have high winds all weekend, but Sunday is the better day so who knows....

Looks like Bob brought over a gas grill that will feed an army! Thanks Bob, should work good!

Neil, I see you found a killer engine for your JAE 45! Good find for sure!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:58 AM
advanced builder

Yes a .45 just for speed. SPEED SPEED
I'm done buying after this. too much. I would like a new gas Vee hull. riggers cats and Vee hullsNo tunnels No thunderboats No cracker boxes
Sunday for me is off I think. I'm still messin with that .21 cat. not satisfied yet with the setup.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Blackout

Roger, Inspiration for fixing your VS1. Jerry and his VS1.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:56 AM
HeliDrop

I want one of those little VS1's. They are a neat simple little boat and you guys seem like you have a lot of fun driving them. 

I'm planning on taking my rigger for a spin this weekend. I wont have the time to come down to Stony Pond though. Plus I think I'll have to do it early in the morning before the wind picks up too much. 
Old 10-14-2011, 11:11 AM
advanced builder

I got her running !!!! My G2D Zenhoa. But I shut her down quick I seen some thing coming out of the flywheel side. More fixing or hard plastic. I gotta pull her open. I never got behind the back side of the engine to look at anything. gotta do it now
FOUND A SCREW STUCK TO THE MAGNET
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90679.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	1674219  
Old 10-14-2011, 11:43 AM
tomstoys2
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Guys,
Sounds like a few of you might be out Sunday. Would it be OK if I stopped by? Not sure what's going on Sun but if I can I wouldn't mind meeting you guys.
Tom
Old 10-14-2011, 02:47 PM
advanced builder

What about this one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86816.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	1674290  
Old 10-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: tomstoys2

Hey Guys,
Sounds like a few of you might be out Sunday. Would it be OK if I stopped by? Not sure what's going on Sun but if I can I wouldn't mind meeting you guys.
Tom
Sure, but it's going to be weather dependant. I have nothing worth running if the winds stay at 20 - 30 mph. My cell is 585-350-9853 if you want to check on what is going on.

Started working on the JAE 12 sponsons, so that's one good thing about bad weather....

Old 10-17-2011, 06:10 AM
advanced builder

I did get that engine running ,not now. fussy SOB The pull is very hard It gets stuck at TDC I go back and try a few times and no luck
Old 10-17-2011, 06:15 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

I did get that engine running ,not now. fussy SOB The pull is very hard It gets stuck at TDC I go back and try a few times and no luck
The weather never let up over here. Very windy and drizzle. No one ran boats, not worth the effort....

Old 10-17-2011, 06:25 AM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Blackout

The weather never let up over here. Very windy and drizzle. No one ran boats, not worth the effort....

We got one or 2 left this season. I'll have 3 to test. When the weather cooperates.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:27 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Blackout

We got one or 2 left this season. I'll have 3 to test. When the weather cooperates.
Maybe the weather will cooperate this weekend.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 AM
HeliDrop

We got out on North Ponds Park in Webster on Sunday. We got rained out on Saturday so we tried again Sunday and hit a small window. It was an interesting day like always. 

The rigger was starting no problem but not running once it hit the water as you have seen before. I started at 3.5 turns on the carb. I moved it half a turn and launched again, another half turn (4.5 turns out) and launched again. It was spitting tons of fuel out at 4.5 turns. Anyone know where I should start out on a .40 OPS? 

Roger - No, I didn't hook up the pressure. It sucks fuel so fast as soon as I turn it over that I can't see it being a problem. The tanks are brand new, lines new, filter & the carb was just cleaned. I am going to pull the carb apart again and see if anything is in there. 

Next time I'm out I'm going to hand off the controls and launch it myself to make sure it's going in the water fast enough. I've got a feeling that the prop is pitched so high that it needs to really be moving when it hits the water. The two times I've had it running were when I launched it (and launched it hard) and Roger launched it (which he said he launched it really hard). Could just be. I'm still pulling it apart though. 

Ken had his electric out which was running great in the chop from the wind until something happened with the radio signal and it went up on shore about six feet. Those little electrics are great. We bent the turn fins back in place and threw it back in. No problems at all. It actually trimmed the motor up a little which I think made it run even better in the chop. 

Old 10-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Blackout

Like I said before, try a smaller prop, it can't hurt and takes 5 seconds to change over...

Zippkit sells an electric JAE kit that is the same size as my .21 and can use the RTR electric drives from Aquacraft. That could be a fun option if you want the ease of electric. But, you will be charging batteries when I am running my 2nd and 3rd tanks through..

Old 10-17-2011, 09:24 AM
engineman351

HeliDrop...Give me a call when you get the OPS out of the boat and apart. I'd like to look at the 'bits'. Was the prop on the rigger the same one your dad used, or is it one you picked off the prop chart? I can't remember what number it was. Roger C.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:57 AM
HeliDrop

I have a X457 on it. It's the same prop that my dad had on it for years. 

3.5 is a .40/.45 correct? 

The Octura Prop chart says that for a 3.5 inboard outrigger X447,  X4473 & X448. 

Blackout looks like you might have been right. I probably should have tried something else. However, I know that it'll run with that X457 on it. Maybe that's why it goes so darn fast. It would also explain why it worked when it was launched real fast. 

What a learning process. 
Old 10-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: HeliDrop

I have a X457 on it. It's the same prop that my dad had on it for years.

3.5 is a .40/.45 correct?

The Octura Prop chart says that for a 3.5 inboard outrigger X447, X4473 & X448.

Blackout looks like you might have been right. I probably should have tried something else. However, I know that it'll run with that X457 on it. Maybe that's why it goes so darn fast. It would also explain why it worked when it was launched real fast.

What a learning process.
3.5 is a .21
6.5 might be a .40
7.5 is a .45

I'm sure you can pull that prop, but if the motor is not up to what it was when your dad ran it, you might have better luck with a smaller prop. It surely was very fast when I saw it running on my pond. A slightly smaller prop and it will still be fast.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Billk44

Riggers normally don't like X series props. 1457 is the typical 45 prop. I run 1655's in various pitches on my 45 SGX. What is your pipe length??
Bill
Old 10-17-2011, 11:01 AM
HeliDrop

If that's the case then the Octura Prop chart says X455, X4553 & X457.I'll try to bump it down. I think I've got a X455.

Bill, I couldn't tell you what my pipe length is right now. I'll have to measure it up tonight after I look for that prop. I'll see if I've got any non-X props.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:16 PM
engineman351

Eric, Bill's point on the 'X' series (X457) is that they have a lot of the prop lift taken out of them vs the 'non X' series (1457) props. They actually are rated for the same diameter & pitch. Riggers and most 3 point Hydros run the lifting series as it helps keep the stern out of the water. In practice however, most guys use either series if it makes the boat go!! If you have a '455' or even a '452' we should try them. The smaller prop might match whatever power the motor is putting out better and help on the launch. The pipe length could be an issue with your power too, especially since the motor and pipe have been in and out a couple of times) I have some basic pipe length's at home for various size engines. The .40 would be considered a 6.5cc engine (6.55482562772 to be a bit more precise). Again, there is no set length for any engine. You start with a 'ballpark length' then you need to adjust for engine timing, nitro percentage, and prop load. Since we have seen the boat go a couple of times I think you need to make sure everything is assembled correctly and that there are no air leaks in the fuel system. Then set the pipe on the 'longish side', try the smaller props, and see what happens. Weather permitting, I am still hoping for a Stony Pond outing this weekend. I think I originally set your needle to '4-4.3' on my flow meter. We should see where that is in turns on your needle. Roger
Old 10-17-2011, 02:57 PM
engineman351

Eric, Per a John Finch article on tuned pipes, on a .40 engine, a good starting measurement would be 11 inches. That is measured from the center of the cylinder to the 'bead' or the fatest part of the pipe. Let me knpow what your setup measures now. Roger
Old 10-17-2011, 04:28 PM
advanced builder

Thanks Roger I 'll need info on the .45 engines, I have a .45 Zippkit rigger on the flat board now.I'll be needing a mount looks like 3 1/2 " inside ,I'll need a special one. the .45 is how wide ? I picked up a .45 CMB used.Not here yet. A mount will need to look like?? the .21 that Joe sells I think. or the JAE mount. Not much room inside. Now where to find one or make one. No prints to look at. I did find one surprise inside the bag of goodies. A sponson side plate for the turnfin. The sponsons are built it's going on the outside. I''ll show a pic
Old 10-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Blackout

Thanks Roger I 'll need info on the .45 engines, I have a .45 Zippkit rigger on the flat board now.I'll be needing a mount looks like 3 1/2 '' inside ,I'll need a special one. the .45 is how wide ? I picked up a .45 CMB used.Not here yet. A mount will need to look like?? the .21 that Joe sells I think. or the JAE mount. Not much room inside. Now where to find one or make one. No prints to look at. I did find one surprise inside the bag of goodies. A sponson side plate for the turnfin. The sponsons are built it's going on the outside. I''ll show a pic
Neil, Not sure if you saw what Mike Hughes did for his JAE .45 engine mount, but here is a picture from his Intlwaters build thread...

Edit: You might not be able to see the picture, sometimes it works, sometimes not....

Old 10-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Blackout

Thanks Roger I 'll need info on the .45 engines, I have a .45 Zippkit rigger on the flat board now.I'll be needing a mount looks like 3 1/2 '' inside ,I'll need a special one. the .45 is how wide ? I picked up a .45 CMB used.Not here yet. A mount will need to look like?? the .21 that Joe sells I think. or the JAE mount. Not much room inside. Now where to find one or make one. No prints to look at. I did find one surprise inside the bag of goodies. A sponson side plate for the turnfin. The sponsons are built it's going on the outside. I''ll show a pic
Yup, the Speedmaster mount only goes down to 4". There has to be other riggers with 3.5" tubs. Maybe using the inside pieces and mounting the spacers directly to the tub sides would work. Allot seem to do this with grommets and nylon or delrin spacers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.