Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Central NEW YORK boaters

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Central NEW YORK boaters

Old 03-05-2012, 01:20 PM
tomstoys2
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

ORIGINAL: HeliDrop

Craig, good work on the pond. That looked like a ton of work.

I've got my decals made for my Drag N' Fly and the paint might be finished up by next week. I'll post some pictures.

A friend and I have been looking around at electric tunnels and we found the F-1 Hornet from Hobby King. They are selling them for $129 but with import costs and what not we don't know what kind of hassle that would cause. We found them in California for $199. As I always say we're not out to win races but have fun, plus then we can let anyone take them for a spin. These are cheap enough that we might actually get two. Do you guys have any better ideas?

We currently have four Venom 2S2P 7.4V 5400mah 20C Lipo's and want to run whatever we get on those.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...F750mm%5F.html

Hi Eric,
I would agree with Craig, I have not heard good things about the Hornet.
I converted my MRP Bud Light to FE a few years ago just to see what it would do. I am reworking everything this winter so I can get the center of gravity adjusted and clean things up. I am using a Proboat 1500kv motor with the K&B lower unit and Hyper Performance adaptor http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...pi-eobck35-5mm
This is the conversion thread:
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ion&highlight=
running video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwgg-nPQvuY

Tom
Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 AM
advanced builder

Eric I may have a driver. Nice job on the build. gotta get $25
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26497.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1735626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66755.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1735627  
Old 03-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Billk44

Hey Folks,
Anymore word on the Ottawa club? Did they find another site? Anyone know how they got zapped?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Canadian LoCo

Hello Bill and all well we did not find a pond yet still looking we have a few sites in mind
went to see one it was a great size but it would be to much work since the land needs alot
of it.
ok this is why we lost the pond at the end of our season one of our members fell into the pond
while getting our bouyes out the water was very cold and he could not make it back to shore,
we had to call 911 to come get him out after trying for a bit our slefs without success
and the member sufferd a mild heart attack from a mild hypothermia.

after this happend we did contact the land owner on the monday this happend on a saterday
we had to wait till that day since there business is only open week days.
and he was gald that we called and all was ok with him after speaking with him at that time.

ok now it was time to get the club re-registerd with IMPBA so i called him to get all the info and his ok to do so
and he told me that over the winter he had time to think about what went on and he changed his mind for us not to be able to use
the pond any longer for racing boats, also he told me that he did not want to take a chance of anything happening bad happening on his land.
even haveing the IMPBA insurence would not help the cause, also what i think did not help us is that it made the local news and he did not like that.

so this is why we are looking for a new home let's all hope we can find one soon since we still have time to save our club and the 2012 season.

Regards
Luc
Old 03-06-2012, 07:14 AM
Billk44

ORIGINAL: Canadian LoCo

Hello Bill and all well we did not find a pond yet still looking we have a few sites in mind
went to see one it was a great size but it would be to much work since the land needs alot
of it.
ok this is why we lost the pond at the end of our season one of our members fell into the pond
while getting our bouyes out the water was very cold and he could not make it back to shore,
we had to call 911 to come get him out after trying for a bit our slefs without success

after this happend we did contact the land owner on the monday this happend on a saterday
and he was gald that we called and all was ok with him after speaking with him at that time.

ok now it was time to get the club re-registerd with IMPBA so i called him to get all the info and his ok to do so
and he told me that over the winter he had time to think about what went on and he changed his mind for us not to be able to use
the pond any longer for racing boats, also he told me that he did not want to take a chance of anything happening bad happening on his land.
even haveing the IMPBA insurence would not help the cause, also what i think did not help us is that it made the local news and he did not like that.

so this is why we are looking for a new home let's all hope we can find one soon since we still have time to save our club and the 2012 season.

Regards
Luc
Luc,
Sorry it worked out that way for you folks. I am not surprised at the landowner's decision. Hope you folks find something suitable.
Bill
Old 03-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Canadian LoCo

thanks for the support Bill i think we still have time to get our butt's in gear and find a new home.
we have till the end of April then we have to get all of our stuff out from the old site it's going to be alot
of work but it can be done has they say if there's a will there's a way.
I will keep you posted on what is going on.

Regards
Luc
Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 AM
advanced builder

Bass Pro has the newer life jacket on sale. I picked up 2 for my boating. I can swim but for how long,is the question. That's the one good thing I seen in London, Life Jackets are mandatory in any boat. Don't even ask me to wear them,old oily muddy jacket we have in Elmira. Lets get up to date. The newer style has a pull cord or automatic. Looks like a towel over your shoulder. I CKed prices and the ones @ Bass is the cheapest $79.00 on sale Gander Mt $140 -160 Dicks No have
Also the size of a retriever boat is very important ,safety wise. A 12'-14' vee hull will tip over with movement. . A flat bottom hull you can almost stand on a corner, without falling out. A 16'-18' vee is OK So size does matter. I 'd like to see us use that flat bottom boat this season at Stony Pond . Elmira's retriever boat is plenty long. I NEVER felt uneasy, in that boat. If no life jackets are used at least have a second boat ready. Safety first.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Canadian LoCo

of it.

Regards
Luc
Luc, Sads news about your pond. Thanks for sharing the details.

I didn't know that your pond was only 600 feet long. On the positive side, your new pond could turnout to be a better site. You had posted on your Ottawa forum that you were running a shortened course. What were your SAW lengths? I think Brick Pond might be slightly short too, but not sure, just what I had heard. Anyone know if Brick Pond has a full 330 foot SAW?

Cold water can be dangerous for sure. We left our bouys out all winter and they seem o.k. so far. At one time they were completely under the water because new water had flowed on top of the ice and frozen over the bouys....
Old 03-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: HeliDrop

Hey Everyone. I just wanted to share the final paint job of my Drag'nFly with you all. You need sunglasses to look at it in the sun.

Looks fantastic!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Blackout

Guys,

How are gas engines shut off? Do you just close the throttle all the way like nitro engines? Or is there an ignition cut off?

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:34 AM
engineman351

Craig, Most of us racers remove the idle screw from the carb and then make sure our transmitter is set to completely shut the air to the carb down. You can also add a cut off switch on the boat that simply grounds the ignition when pressed (usually on clutched boats that have idle)...or I have also set up a micro switch to a third servo that can ground the ignition from the 3rd channel on the transmitter (I usually do not have that on race set-up as it is another thing that can go wrong.) FYI...in lieu of using a third servo and micro switch you can also use an electronic switch ("Jomar 'e' switch" commonly use to switch on an on-board glo ignitor or smoke pump on a plane) to ground the ignition. With this set-up nothing actually moves. You can also look up various 'kill guards' on the 'Dock. Roger
Old 03-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Billk44

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Craig, Most of us racers remove the idle screw from the carb and then make sure our transmitter is set to completely shut the air to the carb down. You can also add a cut off switch on the boat that simply grounds the ignition when pressed (usually on clutched boats that have idle)...or I have also set up a micro switch to a third servo that can ground the ignition from the 3rd channel on the transmitter (I usually do not have that on race set-up as it is another thing that can go wrong.) FYI...in lieu of using a third servo and micro switch you can also use an electronic switch (''Jomar 'e' switch'' commonly use to switch on an on-board glo ignitor or smoke pump on a plane) to ground the ignition. With this set-up nothing actually moves. You can also look up various 'kill guards' on the 'Dock. Roger
Just to add a bit more. Makes sure on the throttle throws that they do not bottom out in either direction as you can easily damage the butterfly and/or shaft. When the idle screw is completely removed and the throttle closes,that will kill the engine.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Blackout

Makes sense. Thanks guys! Once the Pinewood Derby race is over Saturday, it's back to boats. Paint is drying on the derby cars now, so cutting it close as usual....
Old 03-07-2012, 01:23 PM
engineman351

Craig, Bill's note is very important. Not having the end points right... On a cable set up it broke the cable AND bent the shaft and the throttle stuck wide open. I drove the boat for a half hour trying to run it out of fuel. It ran out of receiver battery first and crashed into shore!!

l Had lunch with my son Tom today. I asked about my grandson Cameron's Pinewood car. He said it's still in the box and the race is next Monday night!!! OhOh!! RC
Old 03-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Blackout

Does everyone run gas bags these days? What size should I get? I might just buy one off Prop Circles.

The K30S came in today and that is one nice engine. Not sure if it is fast, but it looks fast. Neat that the whole cylinder is water cooled. A gas engine designed specifically for boats.

I'll let you know how my boys do in the gravity powered race.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:57 PM
advanced builder

Bob sent me to Killer Bee for a shut off. I noticed they discontinue the gas one, ??????
http://www.killerrc.com/ I have my old one if you want one. someplace!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:59 PM
engineman351

Craig, I think Bill is a hard tank guy. I have a mix of hard tanks and bags. Once I got used to setting them up and filling them correctly, I like their advantage of fitting about anywhere, fitting closer to the CG, and when the boat is traveling I do not get as much gas smell. (Especially when they are sleeping in the living room!!!) I will say that my Sport Hydro has a 250ML bag (about 8oz) and if I don't pay attention to getting it filled, and I do quite a bit of milling, it just might run out on the last lap!! I am pretty careful to pay attention!! My T-Boat has 500ML in it so that's not an issue. Roger
Old 03-07-2012, 02:09 PM
engineman351

Gassertom, U have a PM. RC
Old 03-08-2012, 08:27 AM
advanced builder

Craig we got the ole bag here http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInf...ctid=IVTANK500
Buck bags are the better ones.THEY SAY They get really stiff after awhile. You can finish a heat with 250cc 500cc is norm
Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Craig we got the ole bag here http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInf...ctid=IVTANK500
Buck bags are the better ones.THEY SAY They get really stiff after awhile. You can finish a heat with 250cc 500cc is norm
O.K., thanks. I'm still undecided, but I might stick with a solid tank since there is plenty of room in front of the engine.

Do gas engines use pipe pressure in the gas bag and solid tank setups?

So, 500 ml is 16.9 oz. Wow, these gas engines are very efficient with fuel consumption! I had a 24 oz. tank in my .90 Seaducer.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 AM
engineman351

The thicker (old saline bags) seem to get stiffer sooner than the thinner bags. I keep a couple of ounces of fuel in them when the boat is stored and it seems to keep them flexible for quite a while. I'll drain the couple of ounces if it has been in there a while before refilling with fresh fuel. I also check that the bag has good resiliency when filled so it will collapse as it should when the fuel is being used. If it is tough to get it to collapse...replace it. Also on gasoline...I have been searching out gas stations that keep non-ethanol fuel (there is one in Penn Yan that I hit on my way to Elmira. I'm sure there are a couple locally). Less issue with diaphrams!! This year I'd like to try some 100LL from the airport. I personally do not see using Camp Fuel...as the octane sems to even lower than the advertised 87 around town, and it is pricey. Roger
Old 03-08-2012, 09:14 AM
engineman351

Craig, Gassers have a pump on the carb so you do not pressurize the tank. Being 'gas' it might go 'boom' if some gas vapor entered the exhaust. Gassers use way less fuel (volume) than nitro...partly because you are not adding significant amount of an oxidizer to the mix and the stoichometric ratio for gas is much higher for gas than methanol or ethanol. By mass 14.7:1 for gas...6.47:1 for methanol. In fuel percentage that's 6.8% for gas and 15.6% for methanol. Roger
Old 03-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Billk44

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Craig, I think Bill is a hard tank guy. I have a mix of hard tanks and bags. Once I got used to setting them up and filling them correctly, I like their advantage of fitting about anywhere, fitting closer to the CG, and when the boat is traveling I do not get as much gas smell. (Especially when they are sleeping in the living room!!!) I will say that my Sport Hydro has a 250ML bag (about 8oz) and if I don't pay attention to getting it filled, and I do quite a bit of milling, it just might run out on the last lap!! I am pretty careful to pay attention!! My T-Boat has 500ML in it so that's not an issue. Roger
I am actually using both now. Some applications I simply have to use a bag. Hard tanks on mono and cats I usually use 16z Sullivan that are flat with the V in the bottom. A simple tray holds them very nicely. I do not use clunks in hard tanks and they perform flawlessy with just brass tubing.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner as I am making room in the basement for my new gun safe. 25 cu ft Liberty I got a good deal on from my local John Deere dealer.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:40 AM
advanced builder

Bill the cellar has plenty of moisture. You will need some type of moisture absorbent. inside that Liberty. It does look like it will seal out moisture. You hope. I keep mine in a spare bedroom. And I use a absorbent. You need to put it inside the oven every 6-8 months on my safe. But I don't have a Liberty gun safe. I like them spinning wheels on the front. They look pretty safe.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Billk44

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Bill the cellar has plenty of moisture. You will need some type of moisture absorbent. inside that Liberty. It does look like it will seal out moisture. You hope. I keep mine in a spare bedroom. And I use a absorbent. You need to put it inside the oven every 6-8 months on my safe. But I don't have a Liberty gun safe. I like them spinning wheels on the front. They look pretty safe.
Neil, one hour fire rating on this one which is pretty good. Very good looking safe in black. Dehumidifier runs contantly in same room as safe. Other times the pellet stove keeps everything dry. The moisture is killer on weapons and is also why I stay away from leathers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.