Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Central NEW YORK boaters

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Central NEW YORK boaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Blackout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

Roger, Do you remember which Penn Yan gas station has the no-ethonal? Do you assume it is no ethanol if there is no "10% ethanol" sticker on the pump. I heard about Bob's problem with the Marina and can see that happening since they get no sales during the winter. Otherwise, I'll just run E10 pump fuel and change the diaghrams. Sounds like 89 octane is the way to go.

The Dock has picked up in traffic. For a while it was real slow....

It will be interesting to see how a stock K30 does. It seems like most modify their gas engines from the start. I assume it will put more rpm's out than a stock Zenoah since it is a purpose built boat motor....

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 PM
gassertom

Guys
How do you adjust the throtle on the flysky gt3b radio to eliminate the brake adjustment and make the throttle full throw
(open-close)?
Thanks Tom
Old 03-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Blackout

I use the brake/reverse trigger throw to shut the engine off by closing the carb completely. You can set the Futaba to 70%F/30%R, so I use that. I can't help with the FlySky, but Neil should chime in.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:46 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I have to disagree with part of what was stated in the QD post. While a higher octane fuel is more resistant to burning, it doesn't give less power. That is totally false. The problem is that a standard car engine only turns up to around 6,000 RPM for a four cylinder, six and eight cylinder engines a bit less. The slower burning of the higher octaned fuel prolongs the actual production of the power stroke, in effect making more power by pushing the piston down for a longer period of time. Where the problem is actually located isn't in the fuel burn rate but in the RPM capability of the modern 2-stroke R/C engines. By turning up into the 17K+ range, the fuel doesn't get to totally burn in the power stroke and is actually still burning in the initial stage of the exhaust stroke, thus acting almost like a braking force. When you figure that when your boat is running flat out at 17K, you're submitting the piston and crank to 283.3 cycles per second(as compared to my S-10's 4.3L V-6 turning 33.3/second at 65MPH), it's understandable why QD recommends AGAINST using a higher octane fuel
Old 03-28-2012, 06:54 AM
advanced builder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf-7yDRZPd0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HooNz...eature=related
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=16199
the last feed has a Q&A
once you get to the menu push down the enter button{ you want to see the number blinking then turn the enter button} and to select push down the end button. then the enter button to get out of the menu
use the enter button to add or subtract of the throw you want, the amount will be blinking until you hit enter button.
OR USE THE BIG BUTTON AND THE END BUTTON LOOK FOR BLINKING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXKC5wffI44
I like this one
Old 03-28-2012, 07:16 AM
engineman351

Craig, I get the no-ethanol fuel from the Lake St. gas station who is an independent. The pump is specifically labeled 'Non- Ethanol' and has separate pricing. I actually don't remember if it is 87 or 89 octane. Their business has a fair amount of traffic as full size boaters that trailer can easily use the station and it's right in the middle of town about a block from the public launch. I am not sure if their demand supports a guaranteed 'fresh <3 month old' supply...but I don't think we know that of any supplier. Ultimately, if you are using and replenishing your fuel supply a couple of times a summer...I think worrying about it beyond that is a waste of time.

As for the QD discussion I understand what Hydro Junkie is saying, and I would agree that if higher octane fuel takes longer to burn it should produce more power. Hydo Junkie infers it is because the operating characteristics of our RC engines, and I also agree with that...I take QD's response a little more literarily: When Mitch or Lohring say they do not see as much power...it's because the Dyno did not make more power. Roger
Old 03-28-2012, 07:37 AM
advanced builder

I ran very well with 87 last season I'll stay with that. As far as just using Honda HP2. My Honda shop had Klotz synkplate right next to the HP2 I ran Klotz RC model lube last season,All or any combination of the 3 will work 8-9 OZ per gal
JM2C
Old 03-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Hydro Junkie

ORIGINAL: engineman351

As for the QD discussion I understand what Hydro Junkie is saying, and I would agree that if higher octane fuel takes longer to burn it should produce more power. Hydo Junkie infers it is because the operating characteristics of our RC engines, and I also agree with that...I take QD's response a little more literarily: When Mitch or Lohring say they do not see as much power...it's because the Dyno did not make more power. Roger
I like it, someone agrees with me. What I didn't know is that the comments made by QD were based to dyno numbers. Now we have hard data and the theoretical reason behind it, can't argue with that
Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 AM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

I like it, someone agrees with me. What I didn't know is that the comments made by QD were based to dyno numbers. Now we have hard data and the theoretical reason behind it, can't argue with that
Now all you need is the wife to agree with you. THAT WILL BE HARDER.
I'm doing linkage on my gas rigger, She is almost there. I have a power wash job this Sunday BUT Sat is open. I may have a gas rigger to test. I just sealed in my engine linkage boot and stabbed right threw the side.[:@] I like the large booties from zippkits, they work good.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Hydro Junkie

The wife and I agree on a majority of subjects so that's not so hard. The big one she hasn't agreed to yet is bringing a boat to NY in 2015, something about lack of space in the car. I think I can change her mind considering I've got 3 years to work at it
Old 03-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

I'm doing linkage on my gas rigger, She is almost there. I have a power wash job this Sunday BUT Sat is open. I may have a gas rigger to test. I just sealed in my engine linkage boot and stabbed right threw the side.[:@] I like the large booties from zippkits, they work good.
Neil, If you have a gas rigger to test on Saturday, I'll be there for sure!! Could be the fastest boat to date on Stony Pond! I'll tape my GPS to the left sponson.

HJ, Get rid of your spare tire and hide a sport 20 there!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Billk44

Make sure you have no more than 10% left or right throw on the rudder. Will be interesting to see if the boat pulls to the right What prop are you starting with? Mine was fast but I could not get it to run straight. Too spooky to try and drive in competition. Good luck and hope she does well.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Hydro Junkie

Craig, if I tried that one I'd be the one riding where the spare tire would be and not the boat[X(]
Old 03-28-2012, 11:22 AM
advanced builder

Yes Craig
it should blow away that other gas rigger you seen running on the pond. [X(] I recall a mid to high 50ides speed 'lets see
Old 03-28-2012, 12:24 PM
engineman351

Wow!! Smack talk and the season is sooooo young!! Are we taking any bets on how far from the edge of the water Neil's rigger will land?? I'm thinking some tunnels tomorrow night weather permitting. My son is itching to test and tune RC
Old 03-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Blackout

Yes Craig
it should blow away that other gas rigger you seen running on the pond. [X(] I recall a mid to high 50ides speed 'lets see

It was faster than high 50's I think, Bob's sport hydro was GPS'd at 63 mph last year. Your radar gun will show slower if you are at an angle. With that being said, I think GPS's can show peak speeds that are misleading for tuning for heat racing.

Neil, you probably already do this, but make sure to use the shortest hole on your steering servo arm for the gas rigger.

Bill, did you ever try adding weight to the left sponson to keep it from rising? A light left sponson can cause veering to the right....

Roger, Anytime is fine. I think it's going to get cold tomorrow though. Today would have been a nice day to play hooky....

Old 03-28-2012, 03:04 PM
gassertom

Thanks everyone.

Tom
Old 03-28-2012, 03:09 PM
advanced builder

Roger, you mean heads / tails or feet from shore. You seen it here first. No fun since they took away my ramp.
Bill I DON'T like the sound of a spooky rigger. I have a few Voodoo prop's to test out ,I have the Boss , Diablo ,7018 /2 &3 7020 /2 &3 blade Also some of Joe's props I'll bring em all
I been getting headache's when I play with Stainless steel ,I do all my work outside and I wear a mask. Must be getting in my clothes.
Craig lets see if it floats first.
Yes it was the 60 range I forgot. we tried hard to get above 58-9mph He didn't STOP until we hit 63mph
My speed gun is done , hit the bottom and took out a chip of plastic the batteries will fall right out.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Blackout

We got your Challenger sorted, we'll get the rigger running good! Make sure your rudder is deep. Rod Gerghaty has said the bigger JAE's need a deep rudder.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Canadian LoCo

Well guys I have GOOD NEWS looks like Ottawa Valley Racers will have a new home after all.
we are going to finalize the deal with the owner of the pond this friday,and now the big work to get all setup
will start soon after we have to move all our things from the other pond to the new one,the good thing is
that the new site is about five milles south of the old one so this wil make the move alot faster.

well that's it for now I will keep you posted on what is going on more info soon.

Regards
Luc W.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:42 PM
ozzy1

Thank you Luc for that info Ozzy
Old 03-29-2012, 03:12 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Canadian LoCo

Well guys I have GOOD NEWS looks like Ottawa Valley Racers will have a new home after all.
we are going to finalize the deal with the owner of the pond this friday,and now the big work to get all setup
will start soon after we have to move all our things from the other pond to the new one,the good thing is
that the new site is about five milles south of the old one so this wil make the move alot faster.

well that's it for now I will keep you posted on what is going on more info soon.

Regards
Luc W.

That is good news!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:38 AM
Billk44

ORIGINAL: Blackout

Yes Craig

It was faster than high 50's I think, Bob's sport hydro was GPS'd at 63 mph last year. Your radar gun will show slower if you are at an angle. With that being said, I think GPS's can show peak speeds that are misleading for tuning for heat racing.

Neil, you probably already do this, but make sure to use the shortest hole on your steering servo arm for the gas rigger.

Bill, did you ever try adding weight to the left sponson to keep it from rising? A light left sponson can cause veering to the right....

Roger, Anytime is fine. I think it's going to get cold tomorrow though. Today would have been a nice day to play hooky....

Craig,
Did not add any weight but also saw no left sponson rise except for the occasional bounce. It consistently pulled to the right. Also tried less aggressive props with no luck. I have never added weight to any of my riggers.

GPS's do give false readings on occasion due to reflections from the waves.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:17 AM
advanced builder

Luc that's great news ,Were going to Ottawa, kinda. I did love the way the ladies dressed.Their hot Tom your welcome ,we did have fun Roger ,yes a little cocky , until we launch[>:] Bill I know how it feels my ..12 always did that until I used a setup board. What I found was the AoA of the riding surface were off. Front sponson,I'm talking - I rolled a small dia pipe to CK ,the right side AoA was different than the left. You don't have a zippkit rigger, but the setup is the same. And I changed my turn fin AoA ,the back side the holes are slotted. We even shim-ed the turn fin ,we can do that on a littler rigger as the speed is minimal. We slid the rear booms to one side
My driveline isn't coming until Sat mail so no rigger on Sat. Rain is in the forecast. But I have the .21 to test.New this season ,I will still use the old sponson's As the new ones still need painting.
Unless Someone has a 24"X 1/4" cable to trade when mine comes in. I'll give Bob a call ,he may have a spare. I will be testing the Voodoo 7020/2 blade.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:44 AM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Craig is correct about the rudder on the gas boat.
Making the rudder deeper cures the right pull.
We have also mounted a small fin to the rear ski and that works well too.

The issue with the JAE Gas Outrigger is when going fast.
At top speed, the hull lifts completely out of the water, allowing a huge increase in speed.
When that happens, the only thing preventing the prop from walking across the surface is the rudder.
With the rear ski 1/4 inch off the water surface, that leaves very little rudder in the water to prevent prop walk.

The new JAE Gas V2 has many changes over the original. Most of the changes are to make the boat easier to build and setup.
The rudder is also mounted on the left side of the tub, and as low as possible.
With a 2818 prop, the new boat goes straight with very little left trim.

If you have a JAE Gas Outrigger and need to cure a right pull, lower the rudder or install a small fin at the rear of the ski.
We can provide these small fins free of charge to anyone that purchased a boat from us.

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.