Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Central NEW YORK boaters

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Central NEW YORK boaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:51 PM
engineman351

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

Craig, I think everyone had a great time today...I know I did. Thanks for the hospitality. I'm looking forward to returning with a couple of 'riggers' to test. Roger C.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:18 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Craig, I think everyone had a great time today...I know I did. Thanks for the hospitality. I'm looking forward to returning with a couple of 'riggers' to test. Roger C.
Glad to meet you finally. I had fun as well...

I ordered 54 O'donnel blue glow plugs from Towers for $1.46 each. Amazing deal! Hopefully they last. Not sure what comes with the Novarossi engines, but I was surprised the plug died so quick. Maybe I was a little lean. I have had my Speedmaster 45 run a gallon through on one OS#8 before losing the plug. That was with 25% Nitro. But, the O.S. plugs are expensive, even through Towers.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 AM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Blackout

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Glad to meet you finally. I had fun as well...

I ordered 54 O'donnel blue glow plugs from Towers for $1.46 each. Amazing deal! Hopefully they last. Not sure what comes with the Novarossi engines, but I was surprised the plug died so quick. Maybe I was a little lean. I have had my Speedmaster 45 run a gallon through on one OS#8 before losing the plug. That was with 25% Nitro. But, the O.S. plugs are expensive, even through Towers.
Yes thanks for the great time. Felt real good running boats.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Blackout

This weekend's weather forecast looks pretty lousy. Rain, cool, and windy Saturday. Sunday is better with only a little chance of rain, but still windy and cool. I won't be running boats this weekend unless the weather turns out better. But, if someone wants to do some testing, feel free to stop by and use the pond. I'll be around doing chores....
Old 04-15-2011, 07:31 AM
advanced builder

I did some pipe cutting on my EasyVee. The .12 needs to be bench started to get her to start. I may pull the engine and break her down and CK everything. The crank is stock I haven't modified a thing. She is very tight. We haven't even fired .yet. I need some TLC on her
Old 04-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

I did some pipe cutting on my EasyVee. The .12 needs to be bench started to get her to start. I may pull the engine and break her down and CK everything. The crank is stock I haven't modified a thing. She is very tight. We haven't even fired .yet. I need some TLC on her
Get a heat gun and heat the .12 up to 150 degrees or more. This should loosen the tight pinch. I think the car guys do this. I have never tried myself, it's just what I have read works for tight engines.

I am pretty sure I have a 120 volt heat gun in my garage that you can borrow. I'll have to double check. If you don't do anything with the .12 before you come down again, we can give it a try. I have a generator I can wheel to the pond to supply the ac voltage.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:12 PM
advanced builder

I think my needle setting is off. change all my fuel lines. recheck all . I did order a new starter the Sullivan dynotron 24 volts. My radio box is not the right size for 2 batteries. 2 -12 volt batteries. 2-3 years old is my regular battery. Back to the building of a new 24 volt carrier . Starter on the back side. of the carrier. Its good to have engineman around as he knows nitro. and many other hobbies. I listen when he speaks. A vast knowledge tree he is. Same with Joe. he knows his hobby. When I had Dick Thompson as a pit man he made my driving the course very easy. Telling you to stay low or high. dead boats. You learn by pitting . and watching the drivers. Staying out of trouble at the .21 rigger speed was hard. things happen so fast. The .12 rigger is plane-ole fun.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Blackout

I just noticed that Joe Petro is selling a JAE 45 short kit. Where have I been?? I think I will build one of those next.

I have been working on the drivers stand a little, but the weather has not cooperated... I think we need the stand before the bouys go out. Atleast I do anyways.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:30 PM
advanced builder

My starter will be in tomorrow. He's quiet on the release. Joe is. RIGGER FEVER Got" prop " hooked too. His .12 will be fun. What's a short kit? A .45 now that's getting crazy fast. All I hear from Joe is testing, testing.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Blackout

My starter will be in tomorrow. He's quiet on the release. Joe is. RIGGER FEVER Got'' prop '' hooked too. His .12 will be fun. What's a short kit? A .45 now that's getting crazy fast. All I hear from Joe is testing, testing.
A "short kit" does not include any hardware. It only includes the cut wood and foam. No instructions either.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:37 AM
engineman351

You guys got me excited with all the 'riggers' running around that I blew the dust of an old .67 Mongoose (Pre SGX from Andy Brown!!). I went through the whole boat...new receiver, throttle servo, and un-mothballed the Picco. It's ready to rock. I'd like to give it a try at Craig's if I can find the time. I am pretty sure I'll have it at Elmira for the test days, along with a gas rigger. Roger
Old 04-22-2011, 02:36 PM
advanced builder

Getting the .67 out that's a good ideal. My homebuilt rigger ran once. I'd like to see it run. I have a .67 Picco that's almost 30 years old the engine was made in 82-85 or close to that date. I found how old she was on another. .67 Picco post that's going on. I have my First engine a K&B .67.we tried to start it and an NO good. I need to reassembly it. my disk plate my be 180 degrees off. How do you tell? I 'm lost on that one. It's been awhile.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Blackout

.67 Mongoose, NICE! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

This Saturday's weather might be o.k. in the afternoon. If anyone wants to use the pond, feel free to come down. I've got a bunch of stuff planned if the rain stops. I'm picking up the grass carp. I'm going to plant some willow tree cuttings for wind protection. I was going to use Poplar trees, but the Willow tree cuttings are free. And work more on the drivers stand. I should be able to get the stairs done and start planking the top. Assuming the rain stops...
Old 04-23-2011, 02:49 AM
advanced builder

We got a wash-out,today . The state of NY planted some renewal ,small trees on 81 SOUTH near Tully Cortland. they get real thick not very high. A great wind blind. The name ?? kinda like bamboo, I did notice that willow tree on your property. They are a lot of work ,picking up . All the big guns are coming out, a mongoose. .67 hydro's. now were cooking. Speed gets addicting.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Blackout

Wow, real windy again from the south today; white caps.... I surely need trees on the south side. It won't matter if the willows drop branches on the south side. I'll just mow them over.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:16 PM
advanced builder

Any plans for the 30th or the 1st. Weather depending of course.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Blackout

Any plans for the 30th or the 1st. Weather depending of course.
Both days would be fine.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:18 PM
advanced builder

I wonder if prop's got that .12 ready. OK lets see if we get any bites. I can come one of the 2 days. doesn't matter witch one. I may bring a .67 to add some fun. I do have the receivers and I know how to switch hulls with my transmitter.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:21 AM
advanced builder

This got to me gear driven. What's with that???
http://modelmarinesupplies.co.uk/sho...roducts_id=943
Old 04-25-2011, 07:08 AM
Blackout

This got to me gear driven. What's with that???
http://modelmarinesupplies.co.uk/sho...roducts_id=943
Allot of boaters in other countries run gear drive on the mid to smaller engines. The engine faces the opposite direction and there is a geared shaft under the engine. That engine apparantely comes with the drive gear installed. The nice thing is that the flywheel is after the gear, so you can completely take off the starter belt once started. Makes life easy on a small rigger with a cowl.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:59 AM
engineman351

I haven't done much research on the 'geared' engines, but when the NR 'Pirahana' came out with 2.9Hp (?) and a rev's of 42,000+ rpm I think there was a lot of discussion on how much torque there was at that rpm and what props there were to match the specs. The idea would be to gear down a bit to get more torque and also be able to use the more common props. Doing the conversion on that Picco Neil noted: 258 pounds (GBP) is $425. That's a bunch of bananas for a .21, eh? RC
Old 04-25-2011, 01:12 PM
advanced builder

That's way too much for me. Bananas wise. The gear drive is what got to me. Never heard of them.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Blackout

Here's a video of a Delta Force mono running a Novarossi gear drive. It's nice having the exhaust exit straight out the back.

At the very beginning of the video there is a shot of the gear drive engine setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaKZ6...embedded#at=32
Old 04-28-2011, 05:24 AM
advanced builder

Not a bad run. on the video.need to see it in person.
Got my .12 Nova Rossi started finally. Some needle adjustments and she took right off. one little washer kept me down. I ran her very rich. More testing is needed.I better bring the fishing rod. I ordered a flex coupler for my .67 Picco. I may just put in the K&B.67 inside the rigger.I tried to start her last year,my starter wasn't up to the job.I charged my .12 volt battery inside my old field box she's on her way out. I had Randell charge her for me last year,she came back very warm. I'm not sure how he charged it but it was hot. The hair on my arms were straight out.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Blackout

Hey guys. It sounds like we can get together Sunday to run boats. Saturday's weather is good too, but I'm going to use that day to put atleast some of the deck boards on the driver's stand. There will be no railing yet, so noone fall off now... I PM'd Bob to see if he can help with the Bouys on Saturday too. You can show up as early as 9:00 am if you would like. I've got the grill if anyone wants to bring food to grill.

If anyone wants to run Saturday also, that's fine too. I'll be around...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.