Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Central NEW YORK boaters

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Central NEW YORK boaters

Old 08-20-2012, 05:57 PM
parshallboatworks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

the hawk is allready built... and the other one is too... but JAE is now underway...
Old 08-20-2012, 06:33 PM
advanced builder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No testing as the lake is full of weeds in the area I want to test in. Too much boat traffic.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:59 PM
parshallboatworks

yee ha!! tub sides glued to bulkheads,tub sub nose glued,tub aft bottom jigged glued and drying...... JAE 3.5 under way... have a hard time watchin glue dry... goin to sleep... deck job to do in am..,, visions of hydros dancing in my head..lol night all.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:45 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: rickyak55

guess that settles it... have to build the JAE... plus it has all the hard ware,and new radio should be here tomorrow or the next day.. got finishing resin in order too... and a couple extra recievers so i can stick to one radio instead of three... Neils 45 JAE is sick fast!! making as many purchases as i am posts these days.. should take it easy... lol...NOT!!!!
You could also put your 45 OPS in a mono like a Speedmaster or Seaducer. Elmira has a 40 mono class if racing is in your future. Many times used 40 monos are available on IW.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:33 AM
parshallboatworks

ORIGINAL: Blackout

guess that settles it... have to build the JAE... plus it has all the hard ware,and new radio should be here tomorrow or the next day.. got finishing resin in order too... and a couple extra recievers so i can stick to one radio instead of three... Neils 45 JAE is sick fast!! making as many purchases as i am posts these days.. should take it easy... lol...NOT!!!!
You could also put your 45 OPS in a mono like a Speedmaster or Seaducer. Elmira has a 40 mono class if racing is in your future. Many times used 40 monos are available on IW.
still havent heard from iw....
Old 08-21-2012, 06:07 AM
Blackout

I sent Tom at IW a PM asking about the status of your account. Let's hope that helps move it along....
Old 08-21-2012, 06:41 AM
Blackout

2012 Stony Pond Dig Update:

Around the first week in November, Scott Parker is coming in with a Cat D7H dozer and an excavator similar to the one we had last year. Both machines will be digging for 40 hours. I'm hoping that will get us somewhere past 250 feet wide. The D7H is a 53,500 pound machine with 215 HP, so that should move some serious dirt in 40 hours. The excavator is going to be digging out the width and the dozer will be pushing that dirt to the side. The dozer has enough capacity that it should be able to cut into more dirt as it pushes. Neither machine will sit idle waiting for the other. I think this is our best option for widening. Once that project is done. I will look into the option of going longer. I'm thinking Scott Parker can keep his excavator at the pond and bring in his smaller dozer and we can make the pond another 25 feet longer in a weekend easy. The Cat D7H is not his, he is renting it, so I want the D7H soley working on making the pond wider. A big dozer is needed with all that dirt on the west side. The lengthening project is easy because the area is very low, not much dirt to move. Anyone curious about the dollars spent, feel free to contact me privately, but I'm pretty sure this is our best option for the money....

Keep the donations coming if you have it to spare. We have room to go even longer or wider if money allows. I would love to finalize the pond size this time around.

For reference Brick Pond is effectively 275 feet wide and 620 feet to 660 feet long depending on how you measure it from the two ends.

I will start draining the pond the first week in October. This is a slow process, so you will be able to run boats as the water level slowly falls. I expect Stony Pond to get to full pool again in September once the rains come back. It is about 12 inches down now. I will be draining 48" of water out for the digging projects. I wanted to start earlier this year so that we had time to evaluate the new size and decide whether we need to go longer or wider.

Thanks guys and gals!

Donate at www.stonypond.net
Old 08-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Canadian LoCo

Nice soon you will be able to put on a sanctioned event as they say you build it they will come[8D]
make sure to get some pic's and keep us posted A+.

Luc
Old 08-21-2012, 07:12 AM
advanced builder

use 30 min epoxy NOT 5 min. the longer the setup time the stronger the bond.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 AM
engineman351

To follow-up on Neil's 'epoxy' advice...here's why: The actual strength of the epoxy itself is the same between 5 minute and 30 minute. 30 minute will soak into porous material better because it stays wet longer, hence the stronger "bond" You can make 5 minute very strong by poking holes into the gluing surfaces and clamping the objects together so the epoxy is forced into the holes. This creates little epoxy fingers that are insanely strong. I also do this with 30 minute stuff too. You can get a ridiculously strong bond if you pokes holes (ie: with a woodpecker tool or a straight pin) then use 30 minute epoxy and just before clamping use your heat gun on low to heat the epoxied surfaces just to the point that the epoxy becomes runny and then let it sit for about 1 minute as it soaks and run into every crack and hole and then clamp and let cure. (This is from a flier as posted on RC Universe)

Also, there is a difference between 'hobby shop' epoxy and 'professional' grades like West's...check out: http://www.jcrocket.com/adhesives.shtml... although my assessment is that on plywood 'hobby shop' epoxy is still plently strong enough for our models. Roger C.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:07 PM
parshallboatworks

thanks for the advice ,Neil and Roger!! the pinhole idea is a good one... like airating your yard for better water penetration!! hopefully Z-poxy is good for finishing resin, used to use this on boats way back when...lol.. plus i have the bigger bottles en-route from tower hobbies along with futaba 3pm-x and a few recievers. have switched all airplanes to 2.4 i swear by them and assume its the same on the water...also ordered a new glow starter battery w/meter.... they should be here tomorrow... also got accepted for I/W .. yaaahh!! thanks craig, not sure if your message helped but after this post, i will be on there checking it out... will be looking for a 45 size hull and for a boat for john(the guy who came late sun.) he has been interested in boating for a while and i hope to hook him into it even more as soon as he sees you guys and the fast boats!! he was impressed about how nice you were and wanted me to say thanks for being friendly and allowing hoim to come check it out!! hopefully next time he will see some real action.. also my friend lynn b. is buying a cat,(electric) and am pretty shure he is interested in joining also.
CRAIG!!! AWESOME news about pond, so excited to be with you guys and look forward to seeing where pond mods go!! any man hour labor you need i will be glad to help... well gotta do some boom tube measuring-fitting and gluing... plus get on i/w.. then in am taking our eldest to ALFRED STATE UNIVERSITY.... how exciting things are right now!!! thanks again to all "STONEY POND BOAT CLUB" members you are the best!!!
Rick P.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:58 PM
advanced builder

No Zpoxy ,Did you notice my brown bottom in the ,21 &.45 Zips. nasty !!! Yes I tried it.
West System or Sig resin. or Klass Kote http://www.klasskote.com/
Both will be redone after the season. I will use clear Klasskote. on the new tubs.
I like to clamp a Alum bar or angle to the tub sides ,when I lay it down on the bottom ply.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:59 AM
Blackout

I have not used Z poxy, but Neil clearly had problems with it. Wonder if Roger has ever used it. I use MAS epoxy. West Systems is good too. I have used West, but like MAS better. Here is what I use. I use the medium hardener.

http://masepoxies.com/public/index.c...roductid=69471
Old 08-22-2012, 04:47 AM
advanced builder

I need a gal to redo my real boats floor/ carpet. Before you lay down the outdoor plywood -seal the wood top, bottom, sides. Zpoxy is OK for FE hulls.
Rubber bands and mixing sticks. I use Popsicle sticks most of the time.

No CA around Styrofoam as the quick set will eat the styo.
notice something here
Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Blackout

thanks for the advice ,Neil and Roger!! the pinhole idea is a good one... like airating your yard for better water penetration!! hopefully Z-poxy is good for finishing resin, used to use this on boats way back when...lol.. plus i have the bigger bottles en-route from tower hobbies along with futaba 3pm-x and a few recievers. have switched all airplanes to 2.4 i swear by them and assume its the same on the water...also ordered a new glow starter battery w/meter.... they should be here tomorrow... also got accepted for I/W .. yaaahh!! thanks craig, not sure if your message helped but after this post, i will be on there checking it out... will be looking for a 45 size hull and for a boat for john(the guy who came late sun.) he has been interested in boating for a while and i hope to hook him into it even more as soon as he sees you guys and the fast boats!! he was impressed about how nice you were and wanted me to say thanks for being friendly and allowing hoim to come check it out!! hopefully next time he will see some real action.. also my friend lynn b. is buying a cat,(electric) and am pretty shure he is interested in joining also.
CRAIG!!! AWESOME news about pond, so excited to be with you guys and look forward to seeing where pond mods go!! any man hour labor you need i will be glad to help... well gotta do some boom tube measuring-fitting and gluing... plus get on i/w.. then in am taking our eldest to ALFRED STATE UNIVERSITY.... how exciting things are right now!!! thanks again to all ''STONEY POND BOAT CLUB'' members you are the best!!!
Rick P.
What kind of boat is John looking for?

If he likes gas then also check out Jim's RC Boat Dock....

www.jrcbd.com

Rick, Glad you are bringing in new members! [8D]

Old 08-22-2012, 07:48 AM
Serpents Den

Howdy folks, it's been a while... I have been trolling the thread since my last postings so Im up a little bit on current events but havent really had time to post let alone, run anything recently...I have to thank my dear old employers for that...working a daily rotating schedule for a long while doesnt leave me with much of a personal life, sad to say I pm'd prop circles earlier today asking for tips about a couple of hulls he has/had...the TSB Super Cat.... I despaired a bit when I finally went to purchase a hull and found out that TSB sold the business, I've just recently found the new vendor and will have one of these hulls soon to arrive, it will be my first gasser, adding to my small collection of hulls now I need to find time and get running on the water somewhere, some day lol.... still searching for a place close to me here in Syracuse :P

Brian
Old 08-22-2012, 07:57 AM
advanced builder

Rick
Ron Shaw on the IW has 4 -.21 seducers Vee

67size
Old 08-22-2012, 02:44 PM
parshallboatworks

Craig, I got the radio,recievers,glow starter w/meter and the PACER Z-poxy today... will use that on inside of tub i guess... also ordered some MAS Epoxy and madium hardener today, thanks for the link... have the tub sleves and doublers glued in,being sure they were level and square(double and triple checked and a fourth time before gluing..)the lid suppt. and foam glued in nose,also the engine mounts in and tri-stock in bottom started.... hope to have fore bottom in and engine mounted tonight tube annealed,bent and ski together... I like to help with members and work and all things i can.. hopefully a couple guys will join that i am bringing...

I have not used Z poxy, but Neil clearly had problems with it. Wonder if Roger has ever used it. I use MAS epoxy. West Systems is good too. I have used West, but like MAS better. Here is what I use. I use the medium hardener.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Serpents Den

Howdy folks, it's been a while... I have been trolling the thread since my last postings so Im up a little bit on current events but havent really had time to post let alone, run anything recently...I have to thank my dear old employers for that...working a daily rotating schedule for a long while doesnt leave me with much of a personal life, sad to say I pm'd prop circles earlier today asking for tips about a couple of hulls he has/had...the TSB Super Cat.... I despaired a bit when I finally went to purchase a hull and found out that TSB sold the business, I've just recently found the new vendor and will have one of these hulls soon to arrive, it will be my first gasser, adding to my small collection of hulls now I need to find time and get running on the water somewhere, some day lol.... still searching for a place close to me here in Syracuse :P

Brian
Hi Brian,

Are you near Dino's pond in Rome? He posted a few pages back.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Blackout

Craig, I got the radio,recievers,glow starter w/meter and the PACER Z-poxy today... will use that on inside of tub i guess... also ordered some MAS Epoxy and madium hardener today, thanks for the link... have the tub sleves and doublers glued in,being sure they were level and square(double and triple checked and a fourth time before gluing..)the lid suppt. and foam glued in nose,also the engine mounts in and tri-stock in bottom started.... hope to have fore bottom in and engine mounted tonight tube annealed,bent and ski together... I like to help with members and work and all things i can.. hopefully a couple guys will join that i am bringing...[img][/img]

You'll love the MAS epoxy. Looking forward to seeing your K&B powered Zippkit 21 run. Sounds like it should be done soon. Like we discussed at the pond, I would try running the engine with the factory can muffler. I had that engine in a .20 mono and it moved along pretty good.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:01 PM
parshallboatworks

hey Craig... the K&B motormounts are much smaller than the solinger mounts... also the stock muffler will not fit in hull.. too wide.. dont know what to do..... buy new engine? put pipe on old K&B..? a little frusterated.. nothing seems to come together,wit what i have... .67 engine.. .45 engine... 3 .21 boats and the one engine i have wont fit complete boat i have... the wood rigger i showed you will fit K&B.. maby i should just get that going..?but then i need a flex shaft etc. etc.... urrg...
Old 08-23-2012, 02:54 AM
Blackout

hey Craig... the K&B motormounts are much smaller than the solinger mounts... also the stock muffler will not fit in hull.. too wide.. dont know what to do..[img][/img]... buy new engine? put pipe on old K&B..? a little frusterated.. nothing seems to come together,wit what i have... .67 engine.. .45 engine... 3 .21 boats and the one engine i have wont fit complete boat i have... the wood rigger i showed you will fit K&B.. maby i should just get that going..?but then i need a flex shaft etc. etc.... urrg...
Can you notch and then reinforce the tub?

Or post a WTB for a .21 K&B header, but you'll need a new exhaust throttle or a carb too.

You could also look into soldering your own header using copper plumbing tubing and brass plate from the hobby store. You might be able to use the existing exhaust throttle doing this. I did this with my O.S. outboard on the tunnel, but I used 90 degree pieces. Getting a .21 pipe is the easy part.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:28 AM
parshallboatworks

Club Racer

• Members
  • 686 posts[/list]
      [*]Gender:Male[*]Location:Norfolk, Va[*]Interests:Naked women ,Racin[/list]

Sent Today, 07:06 AM

Ive got a CMB green head LS with 3280 pipe, collet,header, clean engine . 250.00 plus shipping 15.00 USA only
      Thanks Dick
      what do you think??? anyone say yes or no??? thanks, rick p.

hey Craig... the K&B motormounts are much smaller than the solinger mounts... also the stock muffler will not fit in hull.. too wide.. dont know what to do..[img][/img]... buy new engine? put pipe on old K&B..? a little frusterated.. nothing seems to come together,wit what i have... .67 engine.. .45 engine... 3 .21 boats and the one engine i have wont fit complete boat i have... the wood rigger i showed you will fit K&B.. maby i should just get that going..?but then i need a flex shaft etc. etc.... urrg...
      Can you notch and then reinforce the tub?

Or post a WTB for a .21 K&B header, but you'll need a new exhaust throttle or a carb too.

You could also look into soldering your own header using copper plumbing tubing and brass plate from the hobby store. You might be able to use the existing exhaust throttle doing this. I did this with my O.S. outboard on the tunnel, but I used 90 degree pieces. Getting a .21 pipe is the easy part.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:14 AM
Billk44

Look for a red head Valvola. Better performance.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:35 AM
Billk44

The riggers:

67 SGX and 45 SGX
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60730.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1794609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68729.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1794610  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.