Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 98 of 163 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 4066

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

One good testing day. The QD engine inside my gas JAE,problem found the spacer on my piston ,broke apart. The piston wall has some damage that's all. Fixable. The Speedmaster skeg strut worked fine. no more right sway at high speeds.[>:] was the fastest I've gone all year. And my carb was only 7/8 open. Linkage arm problem. So Bob Looks like the gas JAE goes to Ottawa and the .45 JAE stays home. If I can fix the QD
    The .21JAE has engine PROBLEMS. not fuel or needle. So Craig the 35+21 NR in going in. I gotta go pull the CMB and find out what's up- killing me.
    Bill
    your old/ {new to me} engine is going to Ottawa. And WIN.
    Rick
    the Vee hull would go great with that inboard .67 Picco or your new OPS. A good winter project. The hull is light enough.
    Look over the winter and get a tunnel for the outboard. from IW for the .45 outboard.
    Stoney Pond Model Boat Club, Canandaigua, NY
    International racer
    http://neilsrcsite.shutterfly.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Neil, Are you going to try the NR in your JAE 21? If you and Bob come over this week, let me know what day. Maybe I can take more time off work, maybe...

Rick, here is a picture that shows how I make a hole in the sponson foam to add slow cure epoxy. This is done after the tube is epoxied in with the sides also epoxied.

Craig Mapstone, IMPBA #20305S, Stony Pond Model Boat Club
    2012 D1 20 Hydro Champion

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

One good testing day. The QD engine inside my gas JAE,problem found the spacer on my piston ,broke apart. The piston wall has some damage that's all. Fixable. The Speedmaster skeg strut worked fine. no more right sway at high speeds.[>:] was the fastest I've gone all year. And my carb was only 7/8 open. Linkage arm problem. So Bob Looks like the gas JAE goes to Ottawa and the .45 JAE stays home. If I can fix the QD
    The .21JAE has engine PROBLEMS. not fuel or needle. So Craig the 35+21 NR in going in. I gotta go pull the CMB and find out what's up- killing me.
    Bill
    Rick
    the Vee hull would go great with that inboard .67 Picco or your new OPS. A good winter project. The hull is light enough.
    Look over the winter and get a tunnel for the outboard. from IW for the .45 outboard.
    Get Luc to switch you to LSG Gas Rigger.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thunderboat follow-up: It took a bit of work to get the cylinder of the Thunderboat engine. The piston was defintely scuffed (melted) and seized on the intake side but the ring was still free in the lands. It looks like the cylinder can be re-used with just some scotchbrite to remove the aluminum from cyl wall. However, I have installed a brand new Zenoah top end kit (one of the kits from Joe!!) While I cannot find any blockage in the water flow...it did get awfully hot. I'll have to go with Tom 'not seeing' the usual water spray on that last lap or two on Thursday. The top of the piston does not show any sign of detonation...so I do not think it was lean. The crankcase looks ok and had plenty of oil residue in it. I'll be running a drill thru the rudder and all the fittings to make sure there isn't a piece of goop or silicone blocking the water flow. Last, Joe's pipe is scorching the stringer. I need to clearance the stringer around the pipe at least 1/4th inch and try getting more air around the pipe by opening the front facing air intake and venting the cowl along the rear deck portion.

If I don't see the Stony Pond racing team before you leave...Have a great time in Ottawa. Bring back some 'wood'!!! Roger C

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Roger,

Below is the cooling line I switched to on my k30. This is the same line Bob uses. It's slightly larger than the large blue nitro fuel line. My K30 runs cooler with it. I also made new water outlets that were larger. It's from McMasters.

5054K531 25 Ft. Metric High-temp Silicone Rubber Tubing, Soft, 4 Mm Id, 8 Mm Od, 2 Mm Wall, Black

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I don't see the Stony Pond racing team before you leave...Have a great time in Ottawa. Bring back some 'wood'!!! Roger C

Thanks Roger. were going to bring home a win. team wise. Bob had the Zip pipe coated ,less heat. I wonder if that will help .
    Craig I will be their on Wen- Thur. and load my hulls ,time to test the .21 I hope.
    International racer

Yes, God Speed Little Beaver!
    And good luck to all of the Stony pond crew in Canada!

Joe
    -Zippkits-
    People make this a great hobby!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Craig...on your 'hole in the foam' picture...other than on the ends of the brass tube, where are you putting more slow set epoxy that is touching wood and not adding a lot of extra weight??
    It would seem to me adding epxoy between the tube and the top or bottom would be a lot of extra weight?? Maybe you could explain?? Thanks, Roger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Craig...on your 'hole in the foam' picture...other than on the ends of the brass tube, where are you putting more slow set epoxy that is touching wood and not adding a lot of extra weight??
    It would seem to me adding epxoy between the tube and the top or bottom would be a lot of extra weight?? Maybe you could explain?? Thanks, Roger
    The slow epoxy is gluing the tube to the foam. The epoxy will create a lock between the two wood sides. If you don't do this you can run into issues if too much epoxy is pushed off when inserting the tube. You can use a wood block for even more strength. I did that with my JAE 45 sponsons. A little extra weight, I'm not going to lose sleep over....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Roger. were going to bring home a win. team wise. Bob had the Zip pipe coated ,less heat. I wonder if that will help .
    Craig I will be their on Wen- Thur. and load my hulls ,time to test the .21 I hope.
    Neil, bring your EZ-UP this week and we can pack it in the RV or trailer ahead of time.

The weather looks fantastic for the Ottawa race!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Craig,
    Would it be ok if we use the pond Saturday or Monday - whichever day won't interfere with your families plans.
    Good luck to you guys in Ottawa - wish we could be there.  Let us know how you make out.
    Thanks,
    T&C
    Tom Driver
    IMPBA #6425
    It\'\'s not how fast you go, it\'\'s how you go fast.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gassertom

Craig,
    Would it be ok if we use the pond Saturday or Monday - whichever day won't interfere with your families plans.
    Good luck to you guys in Ottawa - wish we could be there. *Let us know how you make out.
    Thanks,
    T&C
    Race results ???
    Tom
    International racer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Joe Petro

Joe
    Were going hungry and humble
    Not cocky and pissed. we will miss your wisdom.
    International racer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Craig,
    Good luck to you guys in Ottawa - wish we could be there. *Let us know how you make out.
    Thanks,
    T&C
    Either day is fine. We'll be back Sunday evening.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Craig,
    Thanks,
    T&C
    Race results ???
    Tom
    Northern Nats

SS GAS MONO: Gary Isles, Vince Amore, Butch Laporte
    B MONO: Terry Keeley, Charles Dukes, Cindy Driver
    NOVICE: Hope Morley, Logan Morley, Jackie Puliam
    GAS MONO: Chris Rupley, Dennis Madlinski, Marc Lavac
    B HYDRO: Mike Betke, Rob Betke, Terry Munn
    GAS CAT: Antron Brown, Gus Dolsen, Terry Munn
    D MONO: Charles Dukes, Kerry Norton, Ralph Barthel
    LSG SPORT HYDRO: Dale Brobst, Chris Rupley, Terry Munn
    D HYDRO: Rob Betke, Terry Keeley, Joe Wiebelhaus
    OPEN MONO: Vince Amore, Martc Lavac, Antron Brown
    SPORT 40: Mike Betke, Kerry Norton, Charles Dukes
    CRACKERBOX: Marc Levac, Ron Mitchell, Bob Tanner
    GAS RIGGER: Terry Munn, Butch Laporte, Marc Lavac
    E/F HYDRO: Chris Krawczyk, Bill Smith, Terry Keeley
    THUNDERBOAT: Ron Mitchell, Gus Dolsen, Bob Tanner
    SCALE HYDRO: Robin Enneper, Roger Hallam, Steve Peterson

Congrats Cindy!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Craig,
    Good luck to you guys in Ottawa - wish we could be there. Let us know how you make out.
    Thanks,
    T&C
    tom and cindy, let me know what day you will go to pond, i will probably go thursday,but want to leave pond open to those getting ready to go whoop some northerners!!lol... (we love our neighbors to the north,dont take any offence!!!)will hope to have old rigger ready to try out,and its not much fun alone....waiting on too much stuff for JAE..i am impaitent..lolthanks, Rick P.
    ParshallWoodworks If you can dream it I can build it
    Stony Pond Model Boat Club,Cdga.NY
    Sky Chiefs flying club Cdga.NY
    Rick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JOE, they are taking YOUR boats up to kick butt!!!!...thanks for the customer suppt. and club deals!!!...Rick P.
    ORIGINAL: Joe Petro

Joe
    Rick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

THANKS CRAIG... also i have collet on K&B,engine almost installed in older rigger i am trying to revise throttle linkage via bellcrank so starter belt use will be easier(dont know why they designed the throttle right in way over flywheel...) using the flex shaft from JAE and strut and probably the rudder.... have joe sending another hdw.pkg..... what is the best way to cut flex shaft???? asume its with a cutoff wheel... hope to have it ready in the next night or two... things have been kinda crazy as the last of my grandfathers passed away last night.(Sarahs g-pa was like my own cause mine died when i was 8 yrs old..) services are thursday but i hope to meet you guys at pond after.. what time you all planning on being there?? thanks again, RICK P.
    ORIGINAL: Blackout

Neil, Are you going to try the NR in your JAE 21? If you and Bob come over this week, let me know what day. Maybe I can take more time off work, maybe...

Rick, here is a picture that shows how I make a hole in the sponson foam to add slow cure epoxy. This is done after the tube is epoxied in with the sides also epoxied.

Rick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill
    Rick
    NEIL, i allready considered making it an inboard!!.. where can i find info about engine placement, etc, etc.etc....????? i still have the plans and i made mylar templates to build another,it had a shortened version for racing, theres a winter project... the other stuff is overnights and weekend projects.. too impatient to wait till winter,as i will sleep when i'm dead!!!!! LOL..i also seem to be stuck on the riggers and hydros... a 67 sized rigger would be cool to!! plan on moving to gas.. cheaper and i like the sound,smell and fuel availibility... AND THEY ARE FAST!!!
    THANKS, Rick P.
    Rick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rickyak55

Bill
    Rick
    NEIL, i allready considered making it an inboard!!.. where can i find info about engine placement, etc, etc.etc....????? i still have the plans and i made mylar templates to build another,it had a shortened version for racing, theres a winter project... the other stuff is overnights and weekend projects.. too impatient to wait till winter,as i will sleep when i'm dead!!!!! LOL..i also seem to be stuck on the riggers and hydros... a 67 sized rigger would be cool to!! plan on moving to gas.. cheaper and i like the sound,smell and fuel availibility... AND THEY ARE FAST!!!
    THANKS, Rick P.
    Gasoline is cheaper, the gas boats are not....

With that being said, you may want to consider a gas rigger over a .67 rigger. I think Zippkits makes a gas rigger.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now adding that .67 to a 45 short kit,WOW ,If she will float. Fuel may be a problem. with that setup, Not enough to Finnish a heat.
    Craig ,Ill have my tent and table with me on Thursday. with boats to pack ,except for the .21 ,One of 2 runs with the new engine. I don't want to ruin the engine by going too lean.
    International racer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rick, If you are thinking of making a vee hull an inboard... the rule of thumb is to have the balance point (CG) at 30% of the hull length as measured from the transom forward. So, if the hull is 34" long, that would be 10.2 inches from the transom. Before measuring you should have the hardware/tank/radiobox/electronics in place and your pipe on the engine. Roger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Roger,
    It sounds like Rick is considering converting a tunnel. If so the cats are generally set at 32% to 34% CG depending on the power. Personally, I would go with roughly 32% and add bow weight if necessary. The more power, the further forward the CG. This helps if you start out with a milder motor and then decide to step up.
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Billk44

Roger,
    It sounds like Rick is considering converting a tunnel. If so the cats are generally set at 32% to 34% CG depending on the power. Personally, I would go with roughly 32% and add bow weight if necessary. The more power, the further forward the CG. This helps if you start out with a milder motor and then decide to step up.
    Bill
    Nope, Rick has a O/B mono from years ago! Looks cool running on the water, but hard to get the handling optimized....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Blackout

ORIGINAL: Billk44

Roger,
    Bill
    Nope, Rick has a O/B mono from years ago! Looks cool running on the water, but hard to get the handling optimized....

yup, ihave a scratch built mono from RCM Magazine plans with a 7.5 K&B outboard on it.. like to put the engine on a tunnel... probably a vintage HOT-SHOT... and convert the mono to inboard... the hull is a "Ski Vee 40 drawn by Fred Reese it is40" long and 12 1/2" wide, constructed of 1/8" balsa with 6 oz.cloth and resin... plans say 8lbs... i have i PICCO .67 and a brand new OPS.45... kinda still interested in riggers and hydros.... like a big rigger for the .67.. and kinda like "old school stuff... yup i am wierd!!! what time yall going to pond thursday??? giong to have this old rigger i [picked up ready by then if i have to stay up 2 days straight!!!lol.......
    Rick