Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

General Outboard Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

General Outboard Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:44 AM
stuartbowen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Outboard Questions

Hey guys Ihave2 questions for ya: Why do you add weight to the nose of the boat rather than shift weight from an rx pack? I know that the weight is added to achieve a desired cg of about 8 5/8 VS1, but given you have enough room in the boat to move the rx pack's weight forward is just shifting weight an option?

Second, There are several different props on my Villain/VS1 boats. I have a Prather 215, M440, 1440, and a 437/3. What are the characteristics of these props and why is one better for one than another? My application is strictly for stock oval racing. The 215 and 437/3 are on VS1 boats with the water cooled kb and are stock props other than sharpening and balancing. The M440 is on an OS Max and is cupped and the back edge on the bottom has been partially trimmed away. The 1440 is the same as the M440 but its on a KB SS.

55% Nitro, They are all set up pretty close to what was suggested on the old OS vs KBss thread.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Dan S

Default RE: General Outboard Questions

stuart,

this should give you an answer for your props.

http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/props.htm

although an M440 and a 1440 have the same diameter and pitch, they are not the same.

Dan.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:10 PM
stuartbowen

Thanks, Ialready had that chart, but you are right that is a very useful chart. What I was asking is more of what the specific characteristics of each of the props are in regard to handling, top speed, acceleration, ect.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:19 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Best you can do is test, test, test and more testing. Run two to three laps with each prop to detemine which works for you.

As for weight, my WOF's have hidden weight added at CG going forward. This does two things.. 1: Makes the boat a bit more heavy (wof's are light enough to handle this extra weight). 2: Weight at CG does not allow the pendulum effect that weight at the nose does. I do have to add a bit of weight at the nose to balance out the boat. But it's not much.

One boat built without weight added at CG required two full sticks of add-on weight at the nose to correct CG.