Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

"best" .18 marine engine for kids boats?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

"best" .18 marine engine for kids boats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:20 PM
siberianhusky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "best" .18 marine engine for kids boats?

The young'uns are now showing an interest in rc stuff, so I'm building us 3 26" wild thing monos, I already have a couple of old am futaba magnum sports I've retired from my use, Lots of spare hardware floating around so this is a budget build as their boats will see the hard use age of kids learning! Figure I can do it for about 200$ all up per boat. Wife wonders why I never throw anything away! Ha I get the last laugh!
I've never owned or run any of these low performance engines, my closest would be my old k&b 3.5 inboard mono.
What I'm looking at is the best bang for the buck around 100$- say 125$ max, spare parts availability, reliable and easy to start and tune. Have a starter so pull start not a requirement.
Not looking to race other than each other, we want to run the boats not tune them.
Are the proboat, aquacraft and super tigre worth looking at? Seem to be good parts supply for them. The cost of the O.S eliminates that as an option, may be for a next engine if the interest holds!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Jerry Dunlap

Default RE:

The Super Tigre 18 is worth consideration. It has product support.

JD
Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 PM
coriolan

Default RE: RE:

The Proboat .18 seems ok, pull start most likelly very forgiving:
http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=PRB0200

The K&B 3.5 inboard was a sweet engine in its day with a Prather exhaust trottle and pipe, of course when Italian racing 3.5cc came along
(Picco,Rossi,CMB,OPS)the design showed its age and limitations. When someone in my club at the ran the first Picco 21 many K&B where retired[]
Old 07-07-2010, 09:22 PM
toyotatruckin

Default RE:

Ill second jerry, simple easy and affordable also can get parts for it just as easy as you can click add to cart
Old 07-07-2010, 09:40 PM
stuartbowen

Default RE:

The k&b .18 engine can be had for $89.99  new on mecoa's website. side exhayst and pull start., the GO brand engine is also available fairly inexpensively around $70. I think there is someone on here that sells them, cant remember the name though.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:08 PM
toyotatruckin

Story on the K&B 18 I had, brand new from the hobby shop somehow when I tore it down to give it its out of box cleaning I missed that there was an entire case port missing, you realize how hard it was to get tuned in, 3 people including me worked at it before we figured it out, just something thats not expected thats for sure. not saying they are all bad just had one slip through.
How many of the go 18 you need
Old 07-07-2010, 10:26 PM
stuartbowen

Default RE:

yeah you were who I was referring to toyota, sorry your name escaped me

Old 07-07-2010, 10:33 PM
toyotatruckin

Default RE:

lol, no problem!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Even a .12 will push a 26" Wild Thing right along so don't limit yourself to just an .18.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49345.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	1464819  
Old 07-07-2010, 11:08 PM
amax

Default RE:

How fast Or Slow do you want them to go? an .18 will make that hull scoot pretty good, but any nitro engine will need tuning day to day. Either you want Easy Tuning or you want Fast.
An easy tuning fairly cheap engine and Lots of em out there, is the Dynamite .15. To a first time boater in a well set up boat the .15 can be a fun engine and about the easiest to tune.
I have quiet a few slightly used ones from the hydro's that were replaced with .18's..
Old 07-07-2010, 11:14 PM
siberianhusky

Wow thanks for all the quick replies!. Think I'll go with the ST, LOL I imagine a .12 could push a "normal" build around, I think I'll need the displacement for the kid proof builds. They are helping with the builds so I can see a bit of excessive epoxy usage happening!
Cool boat in the pic, had to look twice before I realized the pipe was not attached!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I didn't take the shot, Mark "OB nut" Scott did when I had the pipe off working on it.
Here's one video of it running: http://www.rcflix.com/photopost/show...=500&ppuser=15
A video with sound: http://www.rcflix.com/photopost/show...500&ppuser=612
Old 07-07-2010, 11:28 PM
siberianhusky

For these boats easy to tune and parts basically, No stranger to tuning been running boats for 26 years now, nitro, electric, sail. Any 2 stroke needs tuning every day, change the jetting on the rotax cart every time out almost, same with my 2 stroke 250 mxer, Not really as much plug reading to these and no fishing box full of jets and needles! But you get to burn nitro!
No experience with anything under 7.5cc for a while now.