Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

these any good for the $$$$

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

these any good for the $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:05 PM
rcguy1411

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default these any good for the $$$$

[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260656389920&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/link]just wondering if these are any good need to replace a dynamite .32 in a TC31 i know they wont be as good as the OS .46 but this is just a play boat for when i dont wan t to get the big stuff out
Old 09-08-2010, 09:35 AM
JWMods

Default RE: these any good for the $$$$

Risky,, could be just an airplane engine with boat flywheel and, sure is a Picco 45 silverhead looking water cooling head assembly!
Look at that carb!,, looks just like an O.S. unit,, that manufacturer is a Big Time copier thats for sure.

course,, looks and function are two different things.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:30 AM
rcguy1411

i belive that is all the dynamite was in the biginnihg was just thinking the extra displacement would be nice was just going to stick a stock engine back in for my 8 year old to poke around with and its a nice boat to get on the water as there isn t much support equiptment to lug to the lake figured the .46 would add a little more excitment
Old 09-08-2010, 11:32 AM
coriolan

ASP are fairly good copy of OS engines, you can get them cheaper here:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/enforrcbo.html
and also at HobbyKing:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...d_Glow_Engine_
Used to race the .12 marine engine in my club years ago in 18<20" mono hull and had a blast with them,they are used also in England in the Z-class.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:48 PM
rcguy1411

thanks for the info it is nice to see that ther are more marine engines comming to the market i know you get what you pay for but i can t justify $350 -400 dollars intto a hull that i payed $25.00 for rtr from the neighbour who couldent get it to run i would rather put cash into my 65" Ballintine Apache
Old 09-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I saw several red flags in that ad:
1) why would a boater need to look at recommended AIRCRAFT PROP SIZES, especially a 10X6
2) a marine "racing" engine that only turns 18K? That's the top end RPM of an average airplane engine, not a marine racing engine
3) the muffler shown is virtually identical to one I have on an older OS Max 25 FP, not something used in a boat
I have to agree with JWMods on this one, it's an airplane engine with a water jacket, just like an old HB .20 I bought for my first boat. It may be acceptable to put into a scale style boat such as a PT, Dauntless or American Eagle, but for racing or installing in a performance boat, forget it, go with the OS 46
Old 09-08-2010, 05:36 PM
rcguy1411

i know the OS .46 is a better engine hands down but i cant see spending that kind of $$$$ on a boat that doesn t get run all that often as its more of a fun boat that the brother will get if he comes over or to let the kids play with i was just hopin that for the extra $40 or $ 50 for this engine over the cost of a stock .32 might be worth it as i have a pipe and starter and most of the other odds and ends to get it to work as i wasn t figurin on breakin the bank or the sound barier
Old 09-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The ASP's aren't seen much in the US. The last one that I know of was many years ago in a MRP Bud Lite offshore Cat and was only a .16.
Frankly, you're better off with the Dynamite. Only 18,000 RPM and the tiny plane carb is going to kill performance.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 PM
coriolan

ORIGINAL: rcguy1411

[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260656389920&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/link]just wondering if these are any good need to replace a dynamite .32 in a TC31 i know they wont be as good as the OS .46 but this is just a play boat for when i dont wan t to get the big stuff out
He just want something cheap easy and simple to have fun, not racing! That ASP can run for ever on 10% Nitro, easy to adjust and not too noisy. Its a marine version of a sport airplane engine with adequate cooling and flywheel. Could buy 10 of these for the price of one "proper" .45 size engine(Picco,Rossi,CMB) no big spending on High Nitro fuel, Glow plugs will last a lot longer and probably less head scratching when the weather is not the same as last week and what prop to use........and no pipe to twick[8D]
Old 09-09-2010, 03:27 AM
Hydro Junkie

My concern is that the Asp won't have enough grunt to push your boat. The HB .20 I bought went into a Dumas 30" Pay'N Pak kit that, when finished, couldn't even get up on plane. Since the Pak kit was designed around a Veco 19, the HB SHOULD have had enough power to at least get it up and running properly, if at a slower speed BUT COULDN'T. I'm just afraid you'll have the same misfortune I had and if I can keep you from having that misfortune, so much the better
Old 09-09-2010, 08:16 AM
amax

Running a 2 stroke engine with No Tuned pipe compared to one with a Tuned pipe is like night and day, a tuned pipe is one of the biggest Bolt On performance boosters you can add to a 2 stroke engine.
Running the .32 with a pipe compared to the larger plane engine without a pipe, I personally would Bet on the .32 to finish first. The Dynamite engine are one of the easiest tuning line of marine engine on the market, and if you Frankenstein an odd ball engine in that boat it's just gonna create More Headaches trying to get the boat to even perform at all let alone run like the .32 will when set up properly. There are a number of things that can be done to the .32 that will make it perform better without sacrificing to much dependability.

What's wrong with the .32 you have Now?? If it's just Worn from lots of use and starting to loose performance due to loss of compression, and the sleeve and piston are not badly scared you can get the sleeve re sized for $20+shipping, or just slap a new piston and sleeve in it and Maybe a set of bearings.

That .46 more than likely will not turn as big a prop as the .32 will and at a lower RPM. Definitely Not a Performance Upgrade.

If you need someone to Rebuild the .32 For You,, PM Me, I can do it with my eyes closed,,
Old 09-09-2010, 12:04 PM
rcguy1411

my .32 ate itself a few weeks ago it had a few things done to her as far as the carb and the exhaust headder was port matched and i have no gripes with the .32 was well used and abuused i was just looking for an alternative to the .32 i would love to drop the os .46 but its not cost efective for the type of running i do with this boat i do have an .32 from a buddy that i may be able to pick up
Old 09-09-2010, 01:52 PM
amax

For ease of use and dependability the Dyn .32 is hard to beat without spending more money. A Good .21 will out performe the .32 but takes more work to keep it dialed in and will cost as much as the .46.
For what it sounds like your wanting the .32 is gonna be your best bet.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:03 PM
coriolan

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

My concern is that the Asp won't have enough grunt to push your boat. The HB .20 I bought went into a Dumas 30'' Pay'N Pak kit that, when finished, couldn't even get up on plane. Since the Pak kit was designed around a Veco 19, the HB SHOULD have had enough power to at least get it up and running properly, if at a slower speed BUT COULDN'T. I'm just afraid you'll have the same misfortune I had and if I can keep you from having that misfortune, so much the better
The Dumas "Pay'N pack" was very heavy like most Dumas boats of the period. I had one with a .35 Enya on it in the early 80' and it was a dog, doubt it did any better on a Veco .19 which wasn't a power house. My other Dumas kit about that time was a Deep Vee 21 which was faster with a Picco .21 on pipe despite again being very heavy, but it matter less in a Deep Vee. Still think the ASP would be fine for low tech fun running!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Hydro Junkie

I agree, the Pak was a heavy boat. My problem was the low RPM and torque rating of the HB, topping out at 17K, but at the same time, I also didn't have the knowledge neccesary to make it run right. Oddly enough, I'm building two or three of them right now. The catch with my builds this time is I am making the parts from better materials and have made some changes to the boat. Not sure if I will build the kit or not, but I do know that my present build is almost a third lighter than the kit. To get performance out of the boat, I bit the bullet and bought some NR.21 5 port engines with pipes. I would recommend you do the same and get another Dyn 32 or an 18 to 21 for your boat. I will bet you will be much happier
Old 09-09-2010, 04:32 PM
rcguy1411

now would adding a pipe to the asp engine help the rpm at all or is the low rpm caused buy the port timming
Old 09-09-2010, 04:53 PM
amax

Adding a Good tuned pipe is often compared to adding a Super Charger to a V8, it does have a dramatic affect on a 2 stroke engine,,, BUT if that engine is indeed just a water cooled airplane engine it will still fall a bit short IMO, Standard air plane engines are Lower Compression engines and Yes they have lower port durations also, and a smaller carb which of course will affect the amount of power the engine has and peak RPM.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:22 PM
ben_sprink

ORIGINAL: amax

Adding a Good tuned pipe is often compared to adding a Super Charger to a V8, it does have a dramatic affect on a 2 stroke engine,,, BUT if that engine is indeed just a water cooled airplane engine it will still fall a bit short IMO, Standard air plane engines are Lower Compression engines and Yes they have lower port durations also, and a smaller carb which of course will affect the amount of power the engine has and peak RPM.
is this because of alititude that they build the plane engines like that?

Old 09-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Hydro Junkie

NO, it's not. The catch to airplane engines is that they are made to spin the prop in a certain speed range. If spun too slow, the prop won't supply sufficient thrust to get the plane off the ground. If spun too fast, the prop tips will go supersonic and become ineffective. To go faster still renders more and more of the prop ineffective and no thrust will result. This is also the reason that the larger an aircraft engine gets, the slower the top end will be in most cases. I know some will talk about racing and ducted fan engines, which will spin faster, in some cases up to 50K. These are specific use engines and are different than the general purpose aircraft engines like the Asp that is being talked about in this thread
Old 09-09-2010, 07:12 PM
ben_sprink

oh thats pretty cool. i didnt know plane props could go supersonic and that they build those motors to go a certain rpm.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:29 AM
apache 1

This thread is very educational. I too was wondering about those engines. Looked like a cheap alternative and an easy install. But if they don't cut it ,,,,they don't cut it.
Rc guy, I got a good .32 dynamite that just needs the exhaust retapped into the block(broke screw). Or you can have my baffed out os.46 and rebuild it.
Let me know what you got to trade.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:07 PM
rcguy1411

ya i mentioned that i had a buddy that i might be able yo get an .32 from it was you i was refering to lol dont hace much in the way off parts just put a boat together to sell hopefully this week want to put my Ballintine Apache together this winter with twins in it big $$$ think i have figured out all the parts nd pices i want for the build and thats the reason i wanted to go cheep on this engine as not to steal from the funds of my apache build already had to steal from the build fund with my ticket last month pisses me off big time
Old 09-11-2010, 05:31 PM
apache 1

Hey bud I here you. I'm goin cheap too . Come and get a motor if you want to get your TC31 back on the water for the while you are building apache. You can see how my apache is going while you are here. PM me for when I'm around.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:57 PM
rcguy1411

sounds like a plan ill give you a pm later in the week i think the TC 31 suffers for the fact that i just ran my skater for the first time last week handled awsome have to play with props and ive been running my 57 inch Apache all summer cant belive how much money ive saved on nitro this year lol i like running the TC for the simple fact that there is no suport equiptment to drag around and haulin the big Apache is a killer on the back oh and the Ballintine is bigger and heaver what am i thinking