RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   Broke my JAE 12! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/10089125-broke-my-jae-12-a.html)

siberianhusky 10-23-2010 05:42 PM

Broke my JAE 12!

1 Attachment(s)
LOL, was running beautiful best it's run I think. So I decided to really start driving it hard, trying to cut as tight a line as I could. Got it a little to close to the exit marker!
Cleanly sheared off the right sponson right at the tub, John just missed getting the hit on camera, he was looking through the lens and all he heard was a big solid thunk, then silence!
Have a spare carbon tube downstairs because I knew this would happen sooner of later, was just hoping for much later!
Anybody who doubts the strength of 1/32 ply over foam should really think again, the bottom is sheeted with 1/16. Sheared off 2 1/4" carbon tubes and just scuffed the paint off the tip of the sponson itself.
The boat was stopped within twice it's own length from the buoy.
Should have backed off as I almost hit that buoy 2 laps before, found if I come in a bit wide and begin my turn early a can cut tight to the center and exit buoy with the least amount of spray coming off the turn fin.
In one pic (rigger2) you can see where I got it wrong and there is a solid wall of water coming off the fin and see what looks a bit like the trench it is cutting in the water. Looks cool but it is taking a lot of energy to throw that much water!
In the other one (good turn) you can see the corkscrew of water being thrown off the prop and no big wall of water during the turn.
The pit crew inspecting the damage!

misshydro 10-23-2010 06:40 PM

RE: Broke my JAE 12!

my new jae sponsons bottom are skined with 1/32 and its just about ready to run..at least your damage is a simple fix. your pit crew thinks they got a new chew toy!!lol!!!!!!!:)

Jeremy123 10-23-2010 07:09 PM

Ouch....At least it will be an easy fix..

siberianhusky 10-23-2010 07:17 PM

I'm contemplating doing the next set with carbon fiber sheet on the bottom, ply for the rest. Dead flat and able to put some good square edges on the running surfaces.
Got a 40mm 3 blade prop coming, ran it once on a grim 40/55 3 blade, had to give it a good toss and keep on the throttle that was the fastest prop so far but if was pretty iffy about it getting on plane and on the pipe. Going to de-tongue, and try again, then back cut and finally reduce the diameter if I have to. If I can unload the prop at lower rpms I should be able to get it on the pipe easier.
Impressed at how this thing runs on a cheap .15 buggy engine, can't wait for the winter rebuild and a real engine! Wish I hadn't sold my old K&B 7.5 I would love a bigger version of this boat!

Ron Olson 10-23-2010 10:26 PM

Joe sells the carbon fiber tubes separately now, order 4 or more. :D The replacements fit nicely in most toolboxes.

res3567 10-24-2010 03:13 AM

Beutiful dogs!

siberianhusky 10-24-2010 05:02 AM

Thanks Ron but I have access to lots of carbon rod I just cut my own off the blanks I have. I have a buddy who is a big bow hunter who makes arrows. LOL I'm the ultimate scrounger, my last big score was a bunch of early 60's pre-amp tubes worth 350$ a piece. Mullard 12ax7a's Sound amazing in guitar amps!
LOL the rotten hairballs, the reason I really never go to fancy on paint! I claim the dog hair in the paint breaks the surface tension and makes my boats go faster.
Not the first time I've hit a buoy won't be the last, better than when my tunnel hull hit the rocks and reverted back to its base elements! Wasn't enough left to think about a rebuild on that one.
Took everything apart last night, no hidden damage almost back in action. It's raining so I'll finish it today.

Ron Olson 10-24-2010 09:12 AM

I'll keep you in mind if my wife's vintage Gibson amp ever needs a tube, circa 1958.

Hydro Rob 10-24-2010 09:22 AM

thats a clean break. I hit the wall head on and splintered the tubes all the way down. Good to see it held up for you!

Ron Olson 10-24-2010 09:42 AM

Seeing how you've got a bud that has arrow shafts, try some with different lengths. On another .12 'rigger that I had, we ran them at 17-3/4" long. It was from a Japanese design where the water seems to be always rough so they run them that wide for more stability.

advanced builder 10-24-2010 10:33 AM

I like to run in the # 1 lane myself. I know what can happen in short amount of time. You think I would learn. 5 sets of boomtubes this year. between the .12 &.21 no major damage. still race ready. 4 set we due to hitting a course marker. The .21 rigger ran 40' with one sponson. The .12 did a great cartwheel 4-5 times running down the course.

siberianhusky 10-24-2010 11:48 AM

Did an amazing set of cartwheels last week when it caught a wake and tripped in the turn.
That set of tubes gave it a track of about 16" outside to outside, 170mm from outside of the tub to outside of sponson on each side and 64mm width for the tub so 40.4cm exactly. or 15.9"
Kept the templates from the build so I'll build another over the winter, very easy kit to cut with a router table, only need a bit of hand work for the step in the sponson. 19$ for a 25"x25" sheet of birch ply. A finished hull with stuffing tube costs me about 25$, takes longer to stick the templates down then to route the kit!
LOL I should sell them RTR. Could probably contract construction to the chinese and get them for 3$ a hull!

misshydro 10-24-2010 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: siberianhusky

Did an amazing set of cartwheels last week when it caught a wake and tripped in the turn.
That set of tubes gave it a track of about 16'' outside to outside, 170mm from outside of the tub to outside of sponson on each side and 64mm width for the tub so 40.4cm exactly. or 15.9''
Kept the templates from the build so I'll build another over the winter, very easy kit to cut with a router table, only need a bit of hand work for the step in the sponson. 19$ for a 25''x25'' sheet of birch ply. A finished hull with stuffing tube costs me about 25$, takes longer to stick the templates down then to route the kit!
LOL I should sell them RTR. Could probably contract construction to the chinese and get them for 3$ a hull!
Thats nothing. My JAE has been cartwheeled 6 times and blown over twise. I stay in the outside lane. let the other guys take each other out in the inside lanes.

Hydro Junkie 10-24-2010 08:56 PM

I'm curious, how do you blow over a rigger? I can understand cartwheels but a blowover?