RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   What type of paint do you use on your boats? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/11593858-what-type-paint-do-you-use-your-boats.html)

302CJ7 01-27-2014 05:42 AM

What type of paint do you use on your boats?

I was planning on using some Rustoleum gray primer & Krylon Fusion paint. Will it be ok if nitro fuel spills on it, or must I clear it to protect it, or will that offer no protection? Thanks for advice

amax 01-27-2014 09:35 AM

Not sure if Spray Can Clear will resist Nitro or not, BUT Automotive Urethane Base/ Clear works Very Well.

airwolf81 08-07-2014 01:36 AM

IMRON Paint is the BEST

Ron Olson 08-07-2014 05:18 PM

Imron is also not a good paint for the Average Joe as a respirator must be worn while using it.
Top-Flite makes some fuel-proof spray paints. The nitro content rating is low on it but I've slopped 65% and not a problem.

Hydro Junkie 08-07-2014 10:40 PM

Pretty much any of the base/clear types of paint systems will work and provide some nitro resistance. Prep work is key in their use as a poor prep job will result in poor performance

Tidnab 08-10-2014 05:45 AM

I've used Diamond Clearcoat on my gas boats,and it does resist gasoline,plus it's supposed resist other chemicals.It also doesn't scratch too easily.
http://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html

Tombsy 08-10-2014 10:02 AM

I like KlassKote as well for nitro boats, it sprays great with an airbrush. I'm not setup to spray Imron.

Halvey 08-14-2014 05:26 AM

Have used the Top Flight/KLassKoat combo on several nitro models with no issues as far as fuel soak. Wood prep is the key and letting your TF paint cure out for awhile before shooting the epoxy clear.

wilsonreef 08-18-2014 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by airwolf81 (Post 11856136)
IMRON Paint is the BEST

I've used Imron on big boats for years. Had someone lay a open can of brake fluid on a fender of my Camaro painted with it. When I came back in a few days later and saw it I 'bout had a fit. there it was a liquid ring around the bottom. Needless to say, the Imron was untouched! Great stuff in my book. Most people don't like it because it is volatile. Besides aren't you suppose to use a respirator when painting? I know, your suppose to use a air supplied respirator with Imron, Im just messing with Ron.

Halvey 08-18-2014 02:11 PM

Previous owner of this boat I have used Imron. Layers and layers of Imron, which made it pig heavy. It's a very durable paint. I HARD scrubbed the stuff with Dawn Power Dissolver to remove the left over gunk and it didn't smear or scratch a bit. I think you could use the extra nasty commercial oven cleaner on it and be safe. He just shot waay to much paint and clear.

Ron Olson 08-19-2014 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by wilsonreef (Post 11863014)
I've used Imron on big boats for years. Had someone lay a open can of brake fluid on a fender of my Camaro painted with it. When I came back in a few days later and saw it I 'bout had a fit. there it was a liquid ring around the bottom. Needless to say, the Imron was untouched! Great stuff in my book. Most people don't like it because it is volatile. Besides aren't you suppose to use a respirator when painting? I know, your suppose to use a air supplied respirator with Imron, Im just messing with Ron.

Nah, I enjoy the fumes as it's a cheap buzz! :D
I worked with a lot of solvents over the years in the printing industry. Ethyl acetate finally got me. That stuff is great for stripping off old paint but after inhaling too much of it at work, my sense of smell is pretty much shot. We'd clean parts in MEK which isn't good for you either. High-cost ventilation systems and the government have done away with solvent-based inks and are now using water-based. This was with rotogravure printing which is now almost extinct as the company went to more modern Lithographic printing using infrared lights to dry it in milliseconds. Litho ink still stinks. I also worked with Flexographic printing which is a fancy rubber stamp.