RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   clutch for nitro boat (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/3924252-clutch-nitro-boat.html)

fishy2k8 02-17-2006 04:59 PM

clutch for nitro boat

is there anywhere that i can get a clutch (like a nitro car's) for my nitro boat? a nitro car's clutch has teeth, but i need something that will hook into the shaft! please help and feel free to include pics of your boat/clutch

Ron Olson 02-17-2006 08:18 PM

RE: clutch for nitro boat

Only for .18 and under engines. Traxxas and Mega-Tech boats use them. This question gets asked a lot. Not my personal choice to hook up as they have to be a lot of hassle plus other problems involved with them. Just watch your fingers when handling a running boat!

ledzep 02-20-2006 10:05 PM

Yes, I wanted to do the same with my boat. But I soon realized that once you get your boat in the water that you dont wanna slow down.:D so why have a clutch?

ob nut 02-21-2006 01:50 AM

Unless the motor has an air cooled head, the motor will most likely over heat due to no water running thru the water jacket. This is when the motor is at idle and the clutch not engaged.

fishy2k8 02-21-2006 07:27 AM

thats y you would put a water pump in

ryan_t888 02-24-2006 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know someone who used a .21 size car engine and made a motor mount to make use of the clutch bell gear and clutch. I was able to find a picture that is similar to the setup mentioned.

Ryan

fishy2k8 02-24-2006 10:33 PM

sweet

Cracker Box 02-25-2006 12:25 AM

ORIGINAL: ryan_t888

I know someone who used a .21 size car engine and made a motor mount to make use of the clutch bell gear and clutch. I was able to find a picture that is similar to the setup mentioned.

Ryan

The motor mount and engine combo in the above picture belongs to me, not an original idea, just my way of doing it. Its a 1.4 to 1 reduction. if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Derek

Vertical3-D 02-25-2006 12:33 AM

yeah and as long as you have a clutch desinged for that size motor you should be fine, I personally like haveing the clutch in my modded nitro vee...

pinky_d_brain 02-25-2006 03:17 AM

where did you get the parts for that i rily need some for a project i'm working on gears, barings, ect.

ryan_t888 02-25-2006 09:46 AM

Cracker Box, that is a great setup you have. Everything about that buggy engine is utilized. Well Done.

Ryan

wave waker 02-25-2006 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: ryan_t888

Ryan
this is sweet thing! i like the set-up for the sake of art..this would be great to use in the big size nitro boat can accomodate bigger tank makes longer run but getting kinda expensive in the long run..

Cracker Box 02-25-2006 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: pinky_d_brain

where did you get the parts for that i rily need some for a project i'm working on gears, barings, ect.
The mount and the exhaust header were made by myself and a co-worker (working at a machine shop has it's advantages). Rubber isolation mounts and flex collet are Octura parts. White spur gear from Mc Master Carr supply company. Flywheel, clutch bell, clutch shoes, and clutch gear come from Associated (rc car company). And last but not least a quarter inch diameter piece of drill rod for the shaft. Let me know if you want more info or more pictures.

Derek

visiontech4x4 04-22-2006 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I make these units on my lathe. They are made from 6061 aircraft aluminum and quality bearings. They come if different sizes for different motors and can be made to custom fit your application. The clutch shoe is made of a high strength neoprene rubber and is designed in a way that you can tune it to engage at the RPM that you want. The unit shown is on my cmb .67 which is to be installed on my dumas Miss Circus Circus build. I am currently offering this unit for $100 each. Additional clutch shoes are $15.00 each. I feel that this is a very reasonable price as the materials to make cost me about $25.00 per unit and about 8-10hrs to manufacture and test before shipping. If anyone is interested please reply. Again these can be custom made to fit your application.

KI6HNB 04-23-2006 10:36 PM

Does this unit come in different sizes? What thread does it fit? Is it to big for a .21 size motor?

visiontech4x4 04-24-2006 12:01 AM

This unit comes it different sizes and different threads. I manufacture this unit from measurements of your engine and clearance in the boat for a custom fit.

rcbum 03-30-2012 06:22 PM

Hi I like your clutch design how well doe's it work? Im looking for a clutch to use on .46 asp marine nitro engine.

f16man 03-31-2012 09:12 AM

I am trying to grasp the concept of using a clutch in a boat????????????but I can not think of one good reason,,, fill me in please!!!

coriolan 03-31-2012 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It really only makes sense in a scale application if you need to have forward/reverse, here is a nice example with two RCV four strokes in a Riva "Aquarama", electric start reverse and clutch(time two!):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post19741506
http://www.bmbtechnik.de/aquariva.html
All custom build, money no object;) Despite all that work the run is less than impressive, a bad case of "over engineering":eek:

rcbum 03-31-2012 12:41 PM

Im having a difficult time to get the engine to turn over with prop shaft connected The shaft spins easy. Ive tried to loosen the glpw plug but it does not help. That is why I need a clutch. Plus it is safer. Any other suggestions would be welcome

coriolan 03-31-2012 01:02 PM

Is the drive line well aligned, and are you using a flex cable or rigid shaft? ABC engines are harder to turn over because of the TDC pinch and requires a good starter and battery specially if .45 or bigger. It is common to loosen the plug on .67/.90 for start-up even when using an adequate starter. If there is any binding in the drive line,the engine won't run for long, the clutch would be the first thing to go south!

rcbum 04-01-2012 08:58 AM

Yes the driveline is in good alignment. It is a 1/4 inch flex drive shaft Im using a surface drive. My starter is a hobbico 90 and Im using a car battery to power it with. Thank you for your reply!

coriolan 04-01-2012 02:07 PM

rcbum

So it is just the engine being tight (which will improve after a few runs). 1/4 inch cable is a bit of an overkill for an ASP .46 as that is what is used with .80/.90 racing glow engines or gasoline 23cc and above. I assume you are using a teflon liner for the cable or a brass tubing 9/32 ID. Also leave a good gap between the drive dog and strut as the cable get shorter when running under load. Another poster in Brazil mentioned that the ASP .46 is hard to turn over when starting. The Hobbico-90 starter should be up to the task when using a car battery anyway. Could you post a few pictures of your boat?

rcbum 04-01-2012 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
H,i yes I use teflon liner. I did not know if the shaft would be an over kill. I have a habit of over sizing stuff! Here are some pics of my boat.

HendricX 04-02-2012 04:19 PM

Try your starter with a 18V drill battery , or 2 x 12V (24V).

Even a Sullivan Dynatron needs 24V for the bigger engines (or difficult starting others)