RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/4361937-aquacraft-u-18-miss-vegas-hydro-thread_make-fast.html)

amax 07-12-2010 01:07 PM

RE: AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

Yea it can Seam like A Lot to remember and do, but the more you do it the more you learn and the easier it gets, You have to Learn Your engine. This Isn't your family car engine, it's a High Performance Nitromethane Burning "FEMALE" emphasis on "FEMALE". On a Good performing "Street" Engine(Hot Rod) 1hp Per Cubic Inch(CI) is considered a Strong Engine(and you spend A Lot of time tuning to maintain that) the Lower Performance .18 CI(18\100 ci) Nitro engines produce over 1.5hp, that's 8.3333 HP per CI if I'm doing my math right.

Chief has a point with the fuel line\filter, a piece of trash could have restricted fuel flow somewhere in the system which would make it run Lean and continue to run lean from that point on, until it's removed. Or if the is a hole that has developed it will do the same, and Both are very possible.

f16man 07-13-2010 08:31 AM

For sure check fuel and pressure lines plus the filter if it has a gasket where it comes apart, also pressure check tank,,,,,,,it will most likely be something simple when the engine changes abruptly like that.....

SilentSeven 07-13-2010 09:10 AM

Got it.  Thanks everyone.

bduncs 07-13-2010 09:24 AM

Also just as a heads up, unless you have added oil to your blue thunder it is probably right around 10 or 12 percent oil content. I was having issues with my blue thunder fuel in my boat before I added castor oil to raise the oil content up to about 18%.

SilentSeven 07-13-2010 10:07 AM

Haven't added oil.  What sort of issues?

Thanks for the heads up.

bduncs 07-13-2010 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: SilentSeven

Haven't added oil. What sort of issues?

Thanks for the heads up.

The engine temp was running very high, which was hard on the engine. I believe like 18% or higher is recommended for oil content in boats, so 10% in the Blue Thunder is way too low.
I also was running a bit lean for awhile, and that paired with a far too low oil content of the Blue Thunder, I had the same problem as you and was going through plugs fairly quickly as well.
<br type="_moz" />

f16man 07-13-2010 12:13 PM

Not to mention a piston , sleeve and rod failure, boats run most of the time at wide open throttle as compared to car or truck engines where you are bliping the throttle all the time. I would use minimum 18% oil with some of it being castor to protect the engine in just these kind of lean runs that happen every so often.

SilentSeven 07-13-2010 12:17 PM

Okaaaay.  I'm on it.   Great info.

amax 07-13-2010 01:27 PM

Well that's not completely True. More Oil will protect the engine more, but at the same time it reduces peak performance. Like Any engine the higher you push performance the quicker things wear, and the more Precise and consistent you must be with Tuning, and the easier it is to step to close to That Edge that's To Far. I have been running 60% nitro and as low as 10% but generally 12% syn\castor blend, for A Long time now and have not had 1 failure I can say was caused by not enough oil. I have had Failures, But I Run the Hell out of a Nitro Engine, and generally I'm trying to push it to see How Far it will go Before It Breaks,,:D;)
It's really a matter of what You expect to see performance wise from Your Boat. If your just Playing on the Pond 18% is good, If your Trying to Outrun Your buddy on the pond you might want to run it lower, and If your Racing you will probably want to get as much as you can from your engine, So you step a little Closer to the Edge. I'm running 47mph in a .18 hydro,, How Fast do you want Yours to run.

SilentSeven 07-13-2010 01:48 PM

Well stated Amax.  For a pond runner like me, a bit more protection will be a good thing.  :)

SilentSeven 07-20-2010 12:26 AM

Well, made it out over the weekend to see JD and Beaverboy run some races. Turns out Beaverboy's social calendar was maxed but did get a chance to chat with JD and watch him grease everyone with slick starting line moves.

Few pics just for grins.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejsnord/pics/hydro5.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejsnord/pics/hydro6.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jsnord/pics/hydro7.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jsnord/pics/hydro8.jpg

SilentSeven 07-20-2010 12:29 AM

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejsnord/pics/hydro10.jpg

And last but not least, my own vegas running on a different lake...

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejsnord/pics/hydro11.jpg

hal93 07-26-2010 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
look my miss vegas has this problem. the propellor strut asdsembley has broken lol it sucks . does anyone know where to get a blue aluminum one.

toyotatruckin 07-26-2010 12:20 PM

looks like your running the drive dog way to close to the strut

Serpents Den 07-26-2010 12:22 PM

aye you need to run about 1/8 to 1/4 inch between drivedog and strut...

chief3452 07-26-2010 01:34 PM

Wow, that is trashed! It appears your strut has suffered from either not being tight in it's mounting tabs or your prop is really out of balance. You should check the balance on that prop before running with your new strut.

TrEsPaSS 07-26-2010 05:49 PM

Hey man, as stated by Toyota... your drive dog should not be positioned IN your strut. When the engine torques (twists it tighter) the cable is pulling your drive dog into the strut, obviously causing it to bind. I am suprised that your cable has not snapped vs. the strut. Purchasing a new strut will not help unless you back off the dog from the end of the strut. You need to give it about 1/8-3/16 of an inch. Below is about 3/16", this is a MVD modded with a Dynamite .32 so I chose to run the gap a little wider to make up for the torque, note the grease on the rudder that had been thrown from the cable. http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...ss_cmt/gap.jpg

FX4L2CX 07-26-2010 07:39 PM

Additionally, you may even need a longer flex cable....I set mine up so that there is a 3/16 or so gap between the drive dog and the strut when the flexshaft bottoms out into the collet. If you just get a new strut at this point and leave a 3/16 gap, there may not be enough flex shaft going up into the collet and may slip....check and see.;)

Kev

tonywayne 08-25-2010 05:13 PM

I notised on most picks thies stile boats the rudder is to the left of the prop. On my miss vegas it is on the right. Is this just pers pref or doe sit perform beter on the left?

amax 08-25-2010 07:31 PM

With the rudder on the left it tends to be a little more forgiving when correcting to the left, these boats are made to run in a Right Hand Oval so it's totally geared towards Turning Right. With the rudder On the Right it will Turn Right a little better at high speeds But will Pull the Left Sponson up Quicker if you have to Ease left to correct your Line to the next buoy,,(if your on a track).

joseywales 08-25-2010 09:14 PM

JD has a JAE.12 rigger??!!!

Jerry Dunlap 08-25-2010 11:37 PM

ORIGINAL: joseywales

JD has a JAE.12 rigger??!!!
No, JD was launching a JAE 12 rigger.

JD

joseywales 08-26-2010 12:09 AM

Aw shoot! Thought you would be on the darkside!

res3567 10-17-2010 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What do we have here? Two Vegas....one is the Duece, and the other is the original. The Duece requires you use either the Tiger drive starter or belt. The original is good ole pull start. When doing a quick run at the pond and wanting to travel light, the original Vegas makes it conveinant. So....for any of youwho have theDuece.....and blew upthe engine, you might consider a new engine with thepull start. The Duece is my cousin's and the original is mine. TheTiger Drive is stripped out in his, so I gave him my belt starter. It is more equipment to pack at the pond....along with fuel and other things. And oh yea....theengine in his ....well....it starts and idles....put it in the water....and it dies under load. It was not broke in properly, andthe throttle arm broke onone run. When he went to retrieve it...it was wideopen....for a few seconds. I have tried every adjustment. I think the engine is history. I wil try tosell him on the idea....but he likes the SuperTigre. I am not saying the Duece is bad boat, justgiving my opinion on the differences on both boats.

scuba6 01-10-2011 03:53 PM

New guy here. Am wanting to put a macs 3.5 pipe on my MV. Woundering do i need a header? Does this pipe have to be modded to fit? Read thru this tread till my eyes hurt. Lots of good info(to much to take in!) And does it require any other parts to make fit. Seen something about a fitting in exhaust for fuel tank breather to. Along the lines of drilling a hole.(dementions would be great) thanks in advance! By the way GREAT SITE!</p>