RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   .12 Rigger Kits for CHEAP! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/9026180-12-rigger-kits-cheap.html)

TCHedOff 08-18-2009 04:14 PM

.12 Rigger Kits for CHEAP!

I know there are alot of new boaters on RCU who want to go fast on a tight budget, so I thought I'd share this here.

The .12 rigger design known as the JAP will soon be available in kit from Zippkits for 39.00 + shipping. The new name for this kit is the "JAE .12" and it will include CNC precut plywood and foam & solid fiberglass boom tubes with an illustrated instruction manual. It sounds like these should be listed on Zippkits website in a few weeks.... though if you want to get one ASAP, you can call them (Joe Petro at 866.922.9477 or email them at [email protected])

Personally, I spent more than that on just materials thru my LHS... AND had to cut everything myself - BUT I've also had the pleasure of running one all summer! :D

It also sounds like there may be kits coming for larger engines, including gas.

Rod Geraghty (one of the designers) said it is their hope "to have a line of competitive inexpensive wood/foam rigger kits and or plans available for the RC model boater to experience the fun of building and running RC raceboats."

"For those of you who are not comfortable with your building skills, Mike Crawford of Woodstuff tunnels [1-262-210-9403] will be offering a building service for the line of JAE racing hulls."

:D

jcrosk 08-18-2009 04:55 PM

RE: .12 Rigger Kits for CHEAP!

That's great but now I wish I woulsd have waited one more day. I just ordered wood to build two jap riggers yesterday. Oh well[:o]

kilr95ss 08-18-2009 05:29 PM

Im just chomping on the bit to get my hands one. I was about to order the wood to start a build, glad I waited.

TCHedOff 08-18-2009 06:01 PM

Here is some video I havent posted before that gives those considering one an idea of what to expect.

I still didnt have the needle leaned enough (I've it heard sing a noticably higher note/run visibly faster). But this was AFTER a days racing (in which I smashed a bouy, messed up the sponsons & boom tubes & dinged up the prop - the bent prop is still on the boat in this video - only had 1 prop w/me!:)) I still managed to repair the boat and make the next heat! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH2ccIHhcnc

Here's some racing from earlier that day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOqp_wWGfKg

You'll see my hitting bouy 2 in race 1 and then the video moves on to race 2 for the day; wife went shopping before race 3 (led the race til lap 5 and caught weeds & died). The boat kept getting faster throughout the day as I leaned the needle and it was faster yet in the "AFTER the race" video above.... I could have stayed longer to dial in the needle further, but wife & kid had a LONG day and wanted go. I LOVE boating but I DO want to stay married!! :D

Dan S 08-18-2009 07:49 PM

TC,
I agree, lots of newb wants to go fast and that .12 rigger will get them in the high 50's if not 60.
I know what JAP stands for (not Japan or Japenese) for this rigger but what will the new name JAE stand for?

Dan.

kilr95ss 08-18-2009 08:05 PM

^Engineering

TCHedOff,

What engine are you running?

Gorgok 08-18-2009 08:20 PM

I always felt weird seeing JAP on the name of this plan even though i'm a Scandinavian, glad you guys changed it to JAE instead.

Glenn Quarles 08-18-2009 08:27 PM

Friends, as always I have plenty of the new timed .12 Novarossi marine engines in stock.

Glenn

kilr95ss 08-18-2009 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Glenn Quarles

Friends, as always I have plenty of the new timed .12 Novarossi marine engines in stock.

Glenn

Good to know. The original JAP plans dont have previsions for water cooling, they are powered by air cooled engine with the cooling fins cut down. One of the fastest JAP riggers is powered by a modded OS .18TZ

srw1960 08-18-2009 08:41 PM

Great..spent 40 bucks on wood this weekend..at least I havent cut any yet....

kilr95ss 08-18-2009 08:53 PM

Save it and have the plans scaled up to build a .21 rigger, thats what Im gonna do.

Ron Olson 08-18-2009 09:08 PM

The "JAP" actually stands for Jack-Ass Performance, nothing to do at all with Japanese boats.
There are already people who have built other versions of these plans including .21's and possibly a gas one.
Joe Solinger has a hardware kit for the boat also, very cheap that includes a motor mount and rudder (non-pick-up style).
I've got one of Glenn's .12's in my basement mounted in a Sport .12 hull that may get yanked out for one of these kits. I'm just hoping that Joe is using better wood that what he has for his gas boats. Don't get me wrong, the wood for those is fine for gas boat use but I like a tighter grain for smaller boats.
BTW Glenn, got any modded .12 carbs in yet?

TCHedOff 08-18-2009 09:27 PM

ORIGINAL: kilr95ss

^Engineering

TCHedOff,

What engine are you running?
One of Glenn Quarles' .12 Novarossi's - it is the 3 port version.

Joe Petro 08-18-2009 10:01 PM

Just to make it clear, we only use 100% BIRCH plywood in our kits.
I don't understand what is meant by "tight grain".
Look at the stuff in the hobby shop, that is what we use.
In fact, most of the wood for the JAE 12G comes directly from Balsa USA.

I don't want anyone to get the impression that we use anything less.

Joe Petro
Owner
Zipp Manufacturing

Ron Olson 08-18-2009 11:16 PM

Sorry Joe, I'm not trying to rattle your cage. We laser cut some kits using Midwest which I really like and bought some from another supplier that was junk at best but I paid through the nose for the Midwest wood. The only dealing I've had with Balsa USA was back in the `70's when they were a new company and I was trying to build planes.

Joe Petro 08-19-2009 08:15 AM

Not an issue Ron, just trying to keep things straight...
We went to Balsa USA when Lone Star burned down.
They are some of the nicest people to deal with, and there prices are competitive.

Joe

Ron Olson 08-19-2009 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I went over to IW last night and saw what was going on between you and Rod, Ron and Martin on their design. I can see why the name was changed from JAP to JAE as when people saw the JAP they automatically thought that it came from the land of the rising sun.
It looks like I'll have to order one or two of these from you. I was going to have my sister laser cut me a couple but getting time on one of hers isn't easy to do. She's got a scrapbooking business going on so almost all of her time is spent making stuff for that hobby, craft or whatever it is.
For the price, it's impossible to beat. I see that you're tooling up for a gas version also. Whatever size, you're going to be making a LOT of them!

OK, updated posting.
The wood does look very good as does the kit in general. I swiped some shots from IW so people know now what we're typing about. I saw talk about the .21 and .45 versions too but it didn't say if those were in the future as possible kits.
A video showing what this baby can do:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL2fhjMbV8I[/youtube] That's Martin's boat with a Nova Rossi modded by Rod Geraghty in it.

KNahinu 08-19-2009 06:21 PM

What props are working on those boats?

TCHedOff 08-19-2009 10:43 PM

ORIGINAL: KNahinu

What props are working on those boats?

Mainly 1440 back cut and slightly reduced in diameter (what I run) according to Mark Sholund who has done a number of props for Martin Truex. Mark said "these lil engines dont have tork, so they need to be allowed to sing, and the best props were in the 36-37mm". I've also tried a Prather 215 - lost RPM's with it but was still fast; and Mark has said a x637 is another good bet. Depending on your engine's timing, pipe length, fuel etc etc, you can opt for lower RPMS and bigger prop/with higher pitch/cup or vice versa, higher RPMS with smaller diameter/lower pitched/cupped props. I'm going the higher RPM route currently w/1440 b/c reduced to 37.5mm, 2.25" pitch and 2.8" cup. Martin has also run a v937 prop successfully. Maybe he'll chime in on this thread when he has time. ;)

Ron Olson 08-19-2009 10:55 PM

Depends on the powerplant. Low HP and torque engines could use an Octura X-437 and anything on up to about a 40mm. My average Trinity/Picco/Nova Rossi could spin a Prather 215 and be very driveable. An Octura V-937/3 or V-940/3 for stronger motors. Mark Sholund at Props-4-U is working with the designers to find some nice props.

toyotatruckin 08-19-2009 11:02 PM

Ive built several small riggers .12 and and electric 6-8 cell size and can safely say your not going to scratch build one as cheap as the kit even if you get close on material the time will kill that savings, Joe does make a nice kits. shoot I may even grab one up,,,, Hey joe what some FREE advertizing on my site LOL kidding ;)

Hesco Racing 08-20-2009 02:35 AM

Not seeing it on Zippkits site yet. Any news when it would be available?

Cobus

Ron Olson 08-20-2009 08:11 AM

I haven't seen a release date yet as they are still finalizing the instruction manual. Joe puts out some of the best around so it should be thorough with a little humor thrown in.

Ron Olson 08-21-2009 11:53 AM

Joe is accepting pre-orders right now so if you want one, get on the list at [email protected] . I ordered 2 pre-ordered 2 kits a little while ago. It doesn't hurt to mention your name when sending him an e-mail.
Joe Solinger is selling the hardware kit so I've got to contact him also. I'll get contact info for him for those who need it.

[Update]
Here's the site for the hardware kit for a JAE 12: http://www.solingerrc.com/

Glenn Quarles 08-24-2009 03:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

The ''JAP'' actually stands for Jack-Ass Performance, nothing to do at all with Japanese boats.
There are already people who have built other versions of these plans including .21's and possibly a gas one.
Joe Solinger has a hardware kit for the boat also, very cheap that includes a motor mount and rudder (non-pick-up style).
I've got one of Glenn's .12's in my basement mounted in a Sport .12 hull that may get yanked out for one of these kits. I'm just hoping that Joe is using better wood that what he has for his gas boats. Don't get me wrong, the wood for those is fine for gas boat use but I like a tighter grain for smaller boats.
BTW Glenn, got any modded .12 carbs in yet?

Ron, yeah I have one in stock that I can mod for you.

Glenn